Gransnet forums

Food

What do you think of slow cookers?

(77 Posts)
Ealdemodor Tue 20-Oct-20 21:09:44

I am wondering whether to buy a slow cooker.
Who uses one? What do you think? What meals work best?

Fennel Fri 13-Nov-20 13:43:07

Another point about slow cookers - they don't all bring the contents to boiling point. so could be dangerous for re-heating.
I've discovered mine is like that, so now I cover it with a towel and this seems to bring it up to bubbling if necessary.
I use it mainly for stews and often add dumplings towards the end which need the fluid to be at boiling point.

SuzannahM Sun 08-Nov-20 17:16:57

Love my slow cooker. I try not to use liners, but do sometimes as I use the slow cooker overnight to do porridge for breakfast, and I don't always have the time to wash it out in between.

I've just cooked up enough steak/mushrooms/kidney/onions in gravy for three meals. Tomorrow will have some with baked potatoes and greens. One lot in the fridge to put in a suet pudding later in the week (also done in slow cooker) and one lot frozen.
Last week was a gammon which gave us two meals during the week, two lots frozen, a chicken and ham pie and sandwiches.
Brilliant.

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 17:06:21

I love my slow cooker.

Daddima Tue 03-Nov-20 10:57:01

Alexa

Charleygirl, and others, would you please tell me which size in litres or whatever is suitable for a meat meal for two healthy men? Also, can the larger sizes be used for a meat meal for one small lady?

Do all slow cookers have removeable inner pots that can be steeped if necessary?

I couldn’t tell you about sizes, but I’m sure they all have removable inner pots. I don’t know if it was my imagination, but I felt the things I cooked were beginning to taste similar, so I bought liners from A*£zon, which work a treat, especially if I’m cooking curry or other spicy things.

PollyDolly Tue 03-Nov-20 10:42:44

When I lived alone I bought a small one - 2 to 3 portions - and it was brilliant to come have me from a long shift to a lovely casserole/chilli etc and enough to be able to freeze some too. When OH moved in we bought a larger one so now we have two, really handy when batch cooking different recipes and really hand for (pre Covid) hot buffets!

Greyduster Tue 03-Nov-20 10:39:05

Just to add, I always Brown the meat. Just out of habit more than anything else but I think it makes a difference.

Greyduster Tue 03-Nov-20 10:37:00

Buy one. As others say, you won’t regret it. Fill it, set it, forget it. I use mine for casseroles, Chilli, bolognese sauce, curry, pot roasts. I would advise against getting one with a divided pot. DD has one and its proved to be worse than useless.

henetha Tue 03-Nov-20 10:28:36

Slow cookers are brilliant for stews. They make the toughest meat tender. I find you need to add enough herbs, spices, seasoning or whatever, otherwise the food is less tasty.

craftyone Tue 03-Nov-20 10:03:09

I have dithered, I cannot tell you how much I have dithered. I have had slow cookers, didn`t want another. I have a pressure cooker and will be keeping it. I studied the ninja foodi and that was not for me. I wanted a device that had a bit of a brain, ninja has and then today I found the modern tefal actifry, called genius, I do read reviews and they are very good. I have now taken the plunge, found a space where I can keep it and have bought the smaller one from john lewis. It seems as though at long last I can get rid of my remoska

Elusivebutterfly Fri 23-Oct-20 20:30:34

MissAdventure - thank you.

Grannmarie Fri 23-Oct-20 17:32:41

Ealdemodor, I see that Lidl are selling chalkboard slow cookers this week, very reasonable.
Not sure if I'll be deleted for advertisinghmm

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 16:54:44

I don't brown it, but some do. Sometimes the meat clumps a bit, but I break it down and add a bit on the cooking time.
Mine is usually on for 7+ hours anyway.

Elusivebutterfly Fri 23-Oct-20 16:52:00

For those that use their slow cookers for bolognese or chilli, do you brown the meat first? I've never tried it as imagine the mince would clump together.
I never brown meat for other slow cooker recipes as it seems a doubling up of effort (and washing up).

Sunlover Fri 23-Oct-20 07:33:17

Many thanks Hetty58. Will take a look.

Hetty58 Fri 23-Oct-20 00:42:51

Sunlover, you don't need a book, as there's plenty online. Try these:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/healthy-slow-cooker-recipes

dragonfly46 Fri 23-Oct-20 00:27:15

Grandmasue do you have a big Ninja? I am thinking of getting the mini for Christmas.

Sewpolly Thu 22-Oct-20 21:42:56

I'm also a vegan and love using my slow cooker. Once in a while I find a meal that, for whatever reason, tastes better cooked on top of the hob. But wouldn't be without my slow cooker.

Blondiescot Thu 22-Oct-20 13:55:25

I've loved my slow cooker for years and make a lot of dishes in it, but this week I took delivery of a Ninja Foodi and so far, I'm loving it. I used to be terrified of my mum's old-fashioned pressure cooker (the type which went on the stove top) but so far I've cooked a whole chicken in the Foodi - which came out beautifully moist yet crisp - and made an absolutely delicious chicken and chorizo paella in just 10 minutes! I was sceptical when I read the recipe - but it was brilliant. Expensive, yes - but so far, it's looking like a good buy.

Alexa Thu 22-Oct-20 12:40:45

Charleygirl, and others, would you please tell me which size in litres or whatever is suitable for a meat meal for two healthy men? Also, can the larger sizes be used for a meat meal for one small lady?

Do all slow cookers have removeable inner pots that can be steeped if necessary?

merlotgran Thu 22-Oct-20 11:22:33

GrandmasueUK

Merlotgran I have a Ninja Foodi combination cooker and I use the pressure cooker and air fryer the most. I make all sorts of casseroles, soups, bolognaise and chilli in the pressure cooker. No need to keep stirring, the bottom doesn't catch as it does in a pan. I've used a combination of pressure cooker and air fryer for roast chicken; it was so tasty.

I'd love one of those but they're so expensive. I might buy a cheaper make though.

Rosalyn69 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:57:34

I have a slow oven on my cooker which I think is very similar. I use it a lot in the winter.

Sunlover Thu 22-Oct-20 08:52:21

Use mine to do casseroles. Would love to be more adventurous. Can anyone recommend a good recipe book to motivate me?

Liz46 Thu 22-Oct-20 08:35:35

I got a slow cooker as a free gift with a catalogue about 50 years ago. It was brilliant but died recently. The replacement is not as good.

I like to cook diced beef and onions all day and then add a suet crust pastry and put it in a hot oven.

PetitFromage Thu 22-Oct-20 07:48:19

I bought the 'Pot' a few months ago, as DD swears by it. I can't seem to get on with it, however, as I don't think that the food tastes as good as when it is cooked in the oven. Perhaps I need to persevere.

Hetty58 Thu 22-Oct-20 07:35:39

You can buy liners for them and they're useful if you're making something sticky like the lovely chocolate cake:

baketheneat.com/slow-cooker-vegan-hot-fudge-sauce-chocolate-cake/