Gransnet forums

Food

Salmon fillet recipes please?

(69 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sun 25-Oct-20 09:05:30

We are trying to eat more fish and enjoy salmon steaks/fillets. Anyone have a nice recipe for salmon in a tasty sauce? I find it little dry just grilled or baked.

phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 17:36:40

Reading some of these recipes makes me wish I liked salmon, but I don't sad

EllanVannin Thu 12-Nov-20 17:18:26

I wish I'd kept mum's recipes for the fish dishes we used to have. Halibut seemed to have been favoured with the family and mum used orange with it in a sort of sauce. I've never tasted its like since. It was baked, I know that much.

Salmon , she used to put into a pastry case of sorts and we'd have new pots. from the garden and salad.

JaneD666 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:03:32

MiniMoon

I make this one quite often. It is lovely. I have Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy book from where this recipe comes.

Salmon in a Bengali Mustard Sauce

3/4 lb skinless salmon fillet
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon ground mustard
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons mustard oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1/4 tsp whole brown mustard seeds
1/4 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/4 tsp whole fennel seeds
2 fresh hot green and/or red chilies (bird’s-eye is best), slit slightly

Cut the fish into pieces that are about 2″ x 1″ and rub them evenly with the salt, turmeric, and cayenne. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes-10 hours.

Put the mustard powder, cayenne, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and mix thoroughly. Add another 7 tablespoons water and mix. Set aside.

Pour the oil into a medium frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to pop, a matter of seconds, add the cumin and fennel seeds. Stir once and quickly pour in the mustard paste. Add the green chilies, stir, and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the fish pieces in the sauce in a single layer. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through, spooning the sauce over the fish all the time.

Thanks MiniMoon for sharing this! DH found he could get the Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy book for Kindle for a couple of pounds, so he bought it and cooked your recommendation yesterday - delicious! He says there are lots of other nice-looking recipes in there, so I look forward to more tasty dinners.

lizzajohnson10 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:30:26

I also like to make Salmon Patties.

This consists of chopped/ground up salmon bits (remove any bones, I use can salmon), saltine crackers, egg, and oil.

Take the shredded salmon, eggs, crushed saltines in a bowl, mix together.

Layout in a frying pan with oil.

Fry like hamburgers.

AuntieDote Fri 30-Oct-20 14:07:05

I pop a piece into a microwave bag and zap it for a minute - delicious with anything you like.

Blinko Tue 27-Oct-20 08:58:32

Love this thread. Thanks, everyone flowers

JanT8 Tue 27-Oct-20 07:58:11

Google the Hairy Bikers with orange and ginger, absolutely delicious.
I sometimes just lay it on parchment on a baking tray, cover with lemon or lime slices, cover with foil and oven bake for 20 mins, simple but yummy.
Buy the slightly smoked, oven bake and then cheat with the Schwartz packet sauce, White wine with herbs. New potatoes and veg, jobs a good ‘un.
Whichever way you cook it and think oven baked is the simplest, fail safe way.

Millieangel Mon 26-Oct-20 23:14:40

Cook in foil in the oven with sweet chilli sauce or 7spice. Delicious

Rosiebee Mon 26-Oct-20 22:53:37

For two salmon fillets, oil a large piece of foil and sprinkle generously with Cajun spice, turn salmon in the oil and place foil on baking try. Cook at 180 for about 12-15 mins. Take out and close the foil up and let it steam as it cools down. Serve warm or cold. Delicious with a hot potato salad. You can always eat one fillet and keep one for next day.

Rumbabba Mon 26-Oct-20 19:39:37

No sauce, but still very moist. Dry a salmon fillet with kitchen roll, spread with philadelphia cheese, squeeze a fresh lime (or lemon juice) over, and top with course breadcrumbs. Grill until golden.

4allweknow Mon 26-Oct-20 18:53:56

Lay cooked Couscous with lemon juice on grease proof paper: stem broccoli laid on top of couscous; place salmon fillet with thin slices of lemon on top and squeeze of juice. Wrap in grease proof paper. Bake for 20 mins. Serve with salad or choice of vegetables.

hallgreenmiss Mon 26-Oct-20 17:40:38

frenchie

I cook my salmon filets in microwave for 3 minutes then flake them and add them in a homemade tomato sauce with a spoonful of creme fraiche . I then add cooked spaghetti for a very tasty dinner!
I saw Jamie Oliver the other week making a sort of salmon en croute which look delicious. Must try it!

Variation on this; cover salmon in white wine in a lidded dish. Cook in microwave. Sweat some mushrooms in a saucepan; add flaked fish, (minus skin). Stir in cooked pasta with some cream, creme fraiche, or fromage frais. Warm through. I like to add a few prawns.

Magrithea Mon 26-Oct-20 17:22:23

We like this one:

www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/t/thai_style_salmon_and_rice_with_red_curry_sauce.html

I use an authentic Thai red curry paste bought in a Chinese grocery store which is much stronger than the one recommended in the recipe!

BlueSapphire Mon 26-Oct-20 15:53:06

Hairy Dieters' chilli and ginger salmon is delicious.

Beanie654321 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:17:44

Salmon fishcakes are always a hit in out house, try BBC Food recipes.

Greciangirl Mon 26-Oct-20 15:15:01

Salmon fillet topped with sweet chilli sauce, slices of lemon on top, wrap in foil and bake in oven for 25minutes.

Simple. More chilli sauce added on the plate according to taste.

Janiepops Mon 26-Oct-20 14:23:50

Put salmon fillet on saucer, place upturned saucer on top, microwave for 90 seconds....Done!. delicious,moist,melt in your mouth, put anything you like with it.

Juliejon Mon 26-Oct-20 13:40:33

Salmon en route is wonderful for a special dinner. I use full fat cream cheese frozen spinach and chopped onions to pile on top of the salmon fillets. Wrap it up in M & S all butter puff pastry. Brush with egg and Cook for about 30minutes at fan 165 - 70

Tedd1 Mon 26-Oct-20 13:07:17

Spread fillets with pesto, top with pine nuts and pop in oven........... delicious!!

Vintagegirl Mon 26-Oct-20 12:52:17

I bake fillets in foil, loosely wrapped. They can be from freezer so adjust time or open wrap a bit for last 5 mins.

I also like a marinade of soya/garlic/fresh ginger and can pan fry.

I also like to get a tail piece and simmer gently in salted water. Into boiling water, lid on and turn off heat and leave to cook on. Works on electric best.

Thai chilli sauce is nice to drizzle over to serve or a nice garlic mayo maybe fresh herbs chopped thru.

GrammaH Mon 26-Oct-20 12:47:11

My current favourite is from one of the Hairy Bikers diet books. The fillets are marinaded in a mix of chopped stem ginger from a jar with some of the syrup, soy sauce, sliced garlic & juice of one orange. After they've had an hour or so, pop the fillets in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil the marinade to reduce slightly & pour it over the cooked salmon. It's delicious & so easy.

Grandmabeach Mon 26-Oct-20 12:26:26

A very quick recipe is to cover salmon with a layer of breadcrumbs, lemon and pepper (available in tubs from Sainsburys or Waitrose). Cook in foil for 20 minutes. Very moist and tasty.

Mal44 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:48:47

Wonderful recipes thank you.I will now be more adventurous with my salmon!

pen50 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:43:12

I make a vegetable curry and steam the fish on top under a lid for 10-15 minutes.

Lollypolly Mon 26-Oct-20 11:35:41

There are 2 recipes I use, one is sesame ginger salmon by Damn delicious. The other is one I adapted from Nick Nairn. Fry onions garlic and chilli in nice olive oil, then add lots of cherry tomatoes and some fresh basil and seasoning to make a spicy tomato sauce. I slice salmon filet through the sauce until just cooked and serve with fresh pasta, linguine works well.