Gransnet forums

Food

Hollandaise sauce

(11 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sun 25-Oct-20 20:07:35

Anyone got an easy recipe for hollandaise sauce? I’ve never made it before, and fancy attempting it.

polyester57 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:23:06

Proper hollandaise sauce is quite fiddly, but Delia Smith has an easier version, which I´ve been using successfully for years. hashtagcake.com/2013/06/20/speedyhollandaise/

Sophiasnana Mon 26-Oct-20 09:27:25

Thanks Polyester57. I’ll give it a go tonight. ??

Nannarose Mon 26-Oct-20 09:59:47

Just in case - my niece makes a fantastic hollandaise using this recipe and it never works for me!
I make it the old-fashioned way in a 'bain-marie' saucepan that I have had for years, with the water barely simmering, and find it works beautifully:
I use room temperature egg yolks and butter. Whilst making it, i whisk up the egg whites and add them at the end.

Whilst I agree that it appears more fiddly, it works much better for me.

annsixty Mon 26-Oct-20 10:08:01

Whatever you decide to do, do not buy the Mary Berry one in a jar.
It is dreadful.
I wrote a review on Lakeland’s website which is where I bought it, tho one below me said it would strip the enamel off your teeth, I agree.

Mamie Mon 26-Oct-20 10:11:02

For two:
I get one egg and 2oz butter out early to be at room temperature. Mix egg yolk gently in a small bowl with a teaspoon of lemon juice, salt and pepper. Warm water in bottom of saucepan. Put bowl in saucepan so the bottom just touches the water. Add knobs of butter one at a time whisking gently with small balloon whisk. If it starts to separate take off heat and add more lemon juice if necessary. If it doesn't thicken put it back briefly on to heat. Serve immediately.

Fennel Mon 26-Oct-20 12:38:05

I used to make a sauce like that, but vinegar instead of lemon and add a handful of chopped fresh herbs at the end. I think it was from Elizabeth David's book French Provincial Cookery
?sauce bearnaise? Good on baked fish.

B9exchange Mon 26-Oct-20 12:43:41

Try this one using your microwave, works for me, and no messing about with water baths! grin

www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233971/quick-and-easy-hollandaise-sauce-in-the-microwave/

Mamie Mon 26-Oct-20 13:24:35

If it is béarnaise I reduce wine vinegar with tarragon in it, strain it and use instead of the lemon juice. ?

Nortsat Tue 27-Oct-20 07:35:06

B9 thank you the the microwave recipe, I am going to try it ?

grannysyb Tue 27-Oct-20 09:03:56

Never made it, but watched my 18 year old DGS making it for his late breakfast/early lunch to go with the chicken he was cooking! He really enjoys cooking ,made ravioli a few weeks ago.