Gransnet forums

Food

Apple rant!

(24 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sat 07-Nov-20 13:05:15

You are right Hetty58 I am fortunate indeed. Thank you for pointing that out. ?

JackyB Sat 07-Nov-20 11:58:54

I am constantly doing this. I see something on a shelf that I really need or in a favourite flavour which isn't usually on offer and when I get it home I see I must have picked up the next one along (possibly because it was less damaged) and it was a different one altogether (but similar package).

Last one was Stollen. I finally saw some poppy seed which is DH's favourite flavour. When I got it home, it had mutated into butter flavour.

Callistemon Sat 07-Nov-20 11:45:00

I only really like Bramleys filled with raisins with a little butter and brown sugar and baked in the oven.
With custard.

Although I remember my Mum used to wrap them in pastry and bake them and they were delicious.

Chewbacca Sat 07-Nov-20 11:40:41

Here's another completely useless comment..... I detest apples of all types unless they're wrapped in pastry and baked in the oven.

DanniRae Sat 07-Nov-20 11:23:24

Oh come on Hetty58 - surely Gransnet is for all sorts of complaints and troubles? Little ones as well as Big ones? If you are only interested in big, serious problems then why read a thread that is clearly all about someone buying the wrong apples. You really don't need to come on here and make an uncalled for comment, do you?

Hetty58 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:17:30

lizzypopbottle, if that's all you have to complain about, you're very fortunate indeed!

Greyduster Sat 07-Nov-20 09:12:59

I agree with NfK - you don’t see the old varieties anymore. I don’t like Cox’s, which is the only apple my father would ever buy, and he only buy them if he could hear the pips rattling (which was a bit embarrassing if you went to the greengrocers with him and stood while he rattled apples!!). We usually buy Braeburns. We are lucky though that the estate we live on has an old orchard encompassed into its landscaping and there are many old varieties free for the taking (crops have been very heavy this year). We have, for instance, Pitmaston Pineapple, Discovery, Bloody Ploughman, and one dark red apple with red flesh which has a lovely flavour. No idea what it’s called though. I bought some russets last year from a market stall and they were lovely.

travelsafar Sat 07-Nov-20 08:18:26

Royal Gala all the way in this house too.

NfkDumpling Sat 07-Nov-20 08:14:39

I don' understand why, when there are so many wonderful varieties of apple, only three or four are ever available in our supermarket. Sometimes the greengrocers has different varieties but they're soon gone. I assume it must be down to storage and transport ability, but its such a shame. I agree Beauty of Bath is a lovely apple - if you can find it.

Lexisgranny Sat 07-Nov-20 08:02:35

When I was very young my grandparents had an orchard full of apple, pear, plum and damson trees. There were different eating and cooking apples, but my favourite was a small sweet apple called Beauty of Bath. I haven’t come across it since, but a few years ago it was mentioned in a book I was reading. As one of the characters sank her teeth into the apple, I was transported back to childhood, and the sights and smells of that orchard in spring with the blossom, and gathering up the. Windfall on hot summer days............happy times!

DanniRae Sat 07-Nov-20 07:42:08

After my son praised Pink Lady apples I bought some and really didn't like them at all.
Back to Braeburns or Royal Gala for me smile

Namsnanny Fri 06-Nov-20 14:24:51

They were similar to Braeburns, Fennel which is my favourite supermarket apple. Although they vary according to the country of origin or season I've found.

Fennel Fri 06-Nov-20 12:14:39

Maybe the old fashioned Cox's? Braeburns are similar.
I once found some Mac Reds in a stall in the Grainger market.
Memories of Xmas in my childhood.
I looked them up and Mac.Reds are the ancestor of many other types of apple.

Namsnanny Fri 06-Nov-20 12:04:10

My mil had the best apples I've ever tasted!
Thin skinned, sweet, crisp, with a strong apple flavour.
Shame she never knew the name of it though.

Bit of a useless post really!! blush

lizzypopbottle Fri 06-Nov-20 11:03:09

Jane10 my son really likes them, too! Which was lucky....

lizzypopbottle Fri 06-Nov-20 10:58:51

lemongrove sadly, he's just passable and he had to excavate to Australia to fix my tooth so no more Brazil nuts!

Davidhs Fri 06-Nov-20 10:22:04

The only apples I like are the old English varieties Cox, Russetts, Bramley for cooking from my own trees but they don’t seem to keep beyond Christmas. After that I don’t bother much with apples

Jane10 Fri 06-Nov-20 10:09:40

I love Pink Lady apples. I find their flavour and texture absolutely delicious. They were always a bit special and a treat to me. All a matter of taste of course.
Frustrating to find you've accidentally picked some up if you don't like them though.

lemongrove Thu 05-Nov-20 21:24:02

That was quite OTT of you lizzy.....breaking a tooth just to see the dentist, is he a hunk??

lizzypopbottle Thu 05-Nov-20 21:18:34

I haven't had my regular eye test, Callistemon, now very much overdue and the only way I got an appointment with my dentist was to break a tooth.

Callistemon Thu 05-Nov-20 20:06:07

I'm trying to resist saying it ....
But no, I have to

I haven't been able to go to Specsavers either during lockdown
? wink

lizzypopbottle Thu 05-Nov-20 19:58:02

Could've been Morrisons, vq I put them in a paper bag so it probably was...

vampirequeen Thu 05-Nov-20 19:36:06

Our local Morrisons sometimes puts different fruit in the sections but forgets/doesn't bother to change the labels. It's really annoying.

lizzypopbottle Thu 05-Nov-20 19:17:39

I thought about putting this on the AIBU forum but I know it's not unreasonable to buy four loose Royal Gala apples only to find on arriving home that three of them are Pink Lady! ? I live ten miles from the nearest reasonably sized supermarket so I wasn't about to drive back to complain. I find Pink Lady apples to be quite unpleasant in both texture (tough and chewy) and flavour (sour but otherwise tasteless). Luckily, my son ate them but I like to have an apple a day. I'll certainly look more closely next time but I'm still annoyed. Grrrr! Rant over.