Gransnet forums

Food

Technical bakes...GBBO

(6 Posts)
CanadianGran Sat 07-Nov-20 07:45:24

Has anyone here tried technical bake recipes from the Great British Bake Off?

We are a season behind for broadcast of this show, and we have a Canadian version. I made a Battenberg and must say I was impressed with myself. This was my first time making marzipan from scratch.

Some of the recipes I am not at all familiar with, but some look interesting and will push some of your baking skills.

Puzzler61 Sat 07-Nov-20 13:29:47

Well done for baking a battenburg cake CanadianGran.
They are very attractive to look at, and tricky to get right.
I made one at school but won’t do more as I don’t alike marzipan.
Do post a photo if you can.
Last week we saw finger cream and jam doughnuts being made by the bakers in the tent - they looked tasty.

felice Sat 07-Nov-20 13:43:44

Also a season behind here; but what we do have at the moment is the Flemish version, it is hilarious.
Really weird presenters, really weird, and the cakes are bizarre.
It is set in 'the tent' overlooking the beach in Ostend and seems to be a cross between a circus tent and the tent on the British one, the decoration is strange.
The Flemish have a quirky rather eccentric sense of humour and boy does it show.
Good for a laugh.

CanadianGran Sat 07-Nov-20 19:43:05

Here's the Battenberg. Not perfect but it was fun to bake. I really like quite a few of the recipes on the Canadian site, here is the link if you would like to browse

www.cbc.ca/life/greatcanadianbakingshow/recipes

I think i will try the Milk Chocolate Digestive Cookies next.

How do you like the new host now that Sandi Toksvig has departed? I enjoyed her banter.

Callistemon Sat 07-Nov-20 20:42:28

I did make a Battenburg cake once but with bought marzipan.
I haven't eaten one for years but I confess to peeling off the marzipan, eating that then eating it square by square.

Puzzler61 Sat 07-Nov-20 21:22:14

Your battenburg’s a triumph Canadiangran . Matt Lucas, the new co-presenter is not for me, but there are many who like him.
I’m unsure why the programme needs 4 celebrities (2 judges + 2 presenters). They seem to detain and distract the contestants who on many occasions don’t have enough time to do the tasks justice.