Gransnet forums

Food

How to poach the perfect egg!

(94 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 13-Nov-20 08:28:09

Very basic question, I know. I love to cook, and my DH says I’m very good at it. But....I cannot poach an egg! What is the simplest, failsafe way?

fevertree Fri 13-Nov-20 10:14:35

Re the swirl - I whip up a mini-whirlpool in the water with the handle of a tablespoon before dropping in the egg right in the centre.

My poached eggs are pretty good!

JackyB Fri 13-Nov-20 10:16:03

I've never managed to do it either. My mother used to use a pan like in Spangler's picture. I have tried several methods, including these guys in the picture. They do not work at all. I have tried greasing them and putting water in the bottom but it never worked and they were the Devil to clean.

The best results seem to be the microwave method - however, I haven't perfected that either. I only put a tiny bit of water in, not half a cup as Riverwalk suggests. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I'll try that next time. Also the frying pan method, as described by Tanith and others, although I'm sure mine will stick to the bottom.

As for doing it in a saucepan, I do know that the water has to have a bit of vinegar in it, be just off the boil, and I try to get it really swirling and drop the egg, which has to be very fresh, into the middle of the "whirlpool". All to no avail.

JackyB Fri 13-Nov-20 10:18:19

Sorry, forgot picture

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:23:21

I prefer dropping them into pan of water just simmering. Swirl it first. No vinegar.

Since seeing Hairy Bikers put the egg (in its shell) into the water first for no more than 10 secs, I do that every time now. It seems to keep the white together when the cracking it straight into the water. I like a runny egg so 3 mins is enough for me.

I really don't like the little plastic containers that make a perfectly formed egg. DH does them this way and they are never runny enough, He tries less time but the white in the middle is not cooked.

Don't find any difference in farm or supermarket (free range) eggs. I buy both.

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 10:26:37

I find you can only poach them one at a time to make a successful poached egg.

Break egg into a cup. Bring a small pan of water to the boil (not too much water) turn down the heat to a simmer, add just a dash of cider vinegar, slide in egg carefully and tip the pan carefully to one side so that the water just covers the egg. It works better on a gas hob of course. Cook until just set. Remove with slotted spoon.

Now, how do I boil an egg successfully? I never get them just right.
Simmer until

MiniMoon Fri 13-Nov-20 10:28:49

Like Riverwalk, I drop my egg into a half filled cup of cold water and put it in the microwave. 60 seconds in mine produces a set white with a lovely runny yolk.
I've never managed a good poached egg in a saucepan.

Bathsheba Fri 13-Nov-20 12:51:16

Now, how do I boil an egg successfully? I never get them just right.

I put a large egg in the pan with cold water, and bring to the boil, then boil for 3 minutes. For a medium egg, 2.5 minutes. They're usually just right, cooked white and runny yolk.

But even then it can vary, because although all large eggs may weigh the same, there's no guarantee that the yolks will all be the same size. Which is possibly why the yolk is sometimes overcooked and firm sad

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 13:33:39

Yes, I do that Bathsheba

But it's still very hit and miss.

Granarchist Fri 13-Nov-20 14:03:38

as a previous poster said - fresh eggs. You will never fail. The whites need to be as solid as possible - older eggs with watery whites will never poach in a water bath. Just get hold of an egg laid the day before and see the difference!

jusnoneed Fri 13-Nov-20 14:03:39

Frying pan, simmering water. Crack egg into a cup and when the water is gently simmering slowly tip the egg into water so that the first bit of white starts to set just before the rest and the yolk goes in.

Grannynise Fri 13-Nov-20 15:38:51

I don't use vinegar in the water for poached eggs as I think I can taste it in the finished egg. A few drops of lemon juice do the same job.

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 15:42:07

I've never tasted vinegar but I do use cider vinegar, not malt.

Bathsheba Fri 13-Nov-20 17:48:22

I use white wine vinegar, never taste it.

Franbern Fri 13-Nov-20 19:28:52

I love eggs in most forms. Have them most days for lunch. Boiled eggs my favourite (use an electric egg boiler). My second fav. lunch is poached eggs on half a tin of Baked beans on a slice of toast. I use a very cheap egg poacher (does two eggs) - cost me £2.99 in a microwave.
You need to have a few tries to find out the best times and heat settings for YOUR microwave. Originally, I used a very cheap, basic microwave and when I moved changed that out for a all-singing, all dancing, combi, covector microwave. Poached eggs totally successful in both, Do use a low heat setting, in current one 450 - two large eggs take 2 minutes

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 19:38:08

I use a poaching pan ( similar to the one Spangler showed)
It’s from Lakeland, and very good, the eggs don’t stick and cook through properly.However it does take a while, so will now try the microwave way, thanks for the tip.

Hetty58 Fri 13-Nov-20 19:45:03

When I cook them for the kids I use the silicone pods - much easier.

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 19:58:40

I've got some similar ones but I just can't get on with them.

sodapop Fri 13-Nov-20 20:06:00

Smoked haddock with poached egg my favourite as well Granny23

FlotheCrow Sat 14-Nov-20 09:42:25

Use smallest pan on hob, fill with boiling water, break egg into said water, let egg boil for 2-3 minutes, scoop out. Perfect.

Lucca Sat 14-Nov-20 09:46:45

Hetty58

When I cook them for the kids I use the silicone pods - much easier.

Just threw mine out. Found them a pain. I’ve bought a poaching pan but my memory of owning one years ago is that Spangler is optimistic re the timing.

Gingergirl Sat 14-Nov-20 09:47:00

I use a little miniature frying pan but before I had it, my smallest saucepan. Bring water to the boil, then down to simmer. Break egg into cup, pour gently into top of water, simmer for a few mins. Never had a problem. I only do one at a time.

kazziecookie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:50:48

As a former guest house owner of over 12 years my husband and I must have cooked thousands of poached eggs.
We did it just as others have said previously.
Deep frying pan full of just simmering water with a dash of vinegar. Break egg into a small bowl or cup and lower gently into the water leave for 2 minutes remove with slotted spoon. Fresher eggs work better.

Leah50 Sat 14-Nov-20 09:56:07

I'm with Spangler, those poaching cups give me perfectly NEAT poached eggs every time.

Frizzywizzy Sat 14-Nov-20 10:11:57

Use fresh eggs, preferably free range. Get your saucepan of water boiling and then reduce the heat so it’s gently simmering. Add about 2 tablespoons of distilled vinegar (not necessary if eggs are really fresh) and stir the water to make a bit of a whirl. Drop your egg gently into the centre of the vortex of water. Increase the heat so the water starts to simmer again, then reduce to a very, very low simmer. Put the lid on and cook for approx 3.5 minutes, but the time depends on the size of your egg.

jenni123 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:13:33

I break the eggs into a small container, then pour boiling water into a non stick saucepan, put the saucepan onto the hob, swirl the water round with a wooden spoon then gently Tip the eggs into the water. Bring back to boil then switch off and leave the eggs in the hot water for couple mins. I cant stand eggs where the white is not set properly, I find this method works well for me