Gransnet forums

Food

Left overs, lamb at the moment.

(24 Posts)
Witzend Wed 18-Nov-20 11:04:16

This is a bit of a faff, but if there’s a bone, I strip virtually all the meat off and then simmer the bone with onion and a handful of pearl barley. Might add a lamb stock cube.

Once the PB is very tender, I fish out the bone, add diced carrots and potatoes, and maybe diced turnip if I have one - IMO it goes v well with lamb.
And always plenty of black pepper.

Once they’re done I add some frozen peas and whatever lamb was left (diced) to heat through for 5 minutes or so.
It’s very tasty!

Grandma11 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:57:27

I make minted Lamb faggots, simply minced Lamb, breadcrumbs, a good spoon of Mint sauce, and a beaten egg.
I sometimes include some Lambs liver if making them from fresh raw Lamb mince. Just a hint of salt and pepper and cook them in an ovenproof dish for about an hour on 150C, and smother with Gravy.

It works using either minced Beef or Pork too, use sage and onion stuffing mix to season the Pork faggots, with a finely chopped cooking apple, or Black pepper and Onions for the Beef version. I sometimes make a tasty beef and Onion spread from any left over or tough cuts of beef using the processor, just blitz it up with Soft Margarine spread and add a pinch of pepper and salt, sometimes I add a little crunch by blending in a small peeled fresh Onion with the Beef to make a tasty Toast Spread.

Rosiebee Wed 18-Nov-20 09:34:35

We had rissoles and although they fell apart a bit, they were really tasty. Thanks for comments, lots of different ideas to try, especially lamb tagine. One of my favourite meals at local restaurant - when we could go?

Blossoming Mon 16-Nov-20 18:02:17

Sunday’s roast always used to be Monday’s stew and Tuesday’s soup.

varian Mon 16-Nov-20 17:58:18

There are many middle eastern dishes, such as tagines which feature lamb.

Fennel Mon 16-Nov-20 17:36:08

We both love lamb, but it seems to be more difficult to find now.
Favourite is a full shoulder, cut in 2 and casseroled with veg. etc

paddyanne Mon 16-Nov-20 16:49:35

I make a lamb and barley stew ,just carrots and onions and barley with the lamb some stock and lots of pepper or no barley use potatoes and get a basic irish stew

Marydoll Mon 16-Nov-20 16:42:46

I saw Something last week on an Old Saturday Kitchen episode.

The chef took left over lamb, spiralised potato, and filo pastry and made it into a restaurant style dish.

The spiralised potato was left a bowl with melted butter, while the lamb was wrapped in filo pastry and sealed with butter, a bit like a Chinese pancake roll.
The chef then wrapped the strings of potato round the pancake and deep fried it.
It looked very impressive.

Davidhs Mon 16-Nov-20 16:24:10

You can’t have roast every day, Cottage Pie, Bobotie, Lamb Curry or Lasagne, don’t put it in the freezer eat it mid week.
I thought that’s what everybody does.

Calendargirl Mon 16-Nov-20 15:16:20

I’m not a lover of lamb, DH is, but we don’t often have it.

Yesterday, we had a roast chicken. Always do too many roast potatoes and veg, on purpose, so then the remaining meat is chopped up with left over veg, gravy mixed in with it, then cooked sliced roast potatoes on top.

Heated through thoroughly, yummy.

Works well with pork, beef, and lamb also I suppose, but I find lamb too fatty.

Missfoodlove Mon 16-Nov-20 15:13:06

I make lamb and prune tagine or curry with left over lamb.

CherryCezzy Mon 16-Nov-20 14:02:26

Stuffing not stiffing ?

CherryCezzy Mon 16-Nov-20 14:01:33

If you like something with a little bit of spice but not really hot you could use moroccan spices, mince the lamb and turn it into koftis or use it for stiffing for peppers. Alternatively you could mince it and turn it into meatballs and have them in gravy.

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 13:59:09

Very versatile, aren't they EllanVannin ? You can add any seasoning you like, although we do rather like the Middle Eastern style ones when using lamb.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Nov-20 13:48:49

Oh I love home-made rissoles Phoenix. That's something to bear in mind sometime. I must look out for a mincer too as I've promised myself one for long enough after getting the butcher to mince me a chunk of steak every time I buy mince.

M0nica Mon 16-Nov-20 13:32:22

Curry, biriani, moussaka, any lamb casserole recipe.

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 13:29:58

Left over lamb can be a bit tricky, especially if your husband is a "roast and gravy" man, Rosiebee thankfully Mr P is not as rigid in what he will eat!

Here it would either be made into a curry, or put through the mincer, mixed with onion, turmeric, cumin etc and made into rissoles with a Middle Eastern twist.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Nov-20 13:25:45

Roast beef and onion sandwiches. Left over beef from yesterday. Yummy.

Septimia Mon 16-Nov-20 13:07:59

Good old-fashioned stew with dumplings. Add potatoes, carrots, swede, onions, mushrooms..... Nice and warming this time of year.

suziewoozie Mon 16-Nov-20 13:05:08

Cook some rice
Fry an onion (Butter) , add left over lamb ( in pieces) Add mushrooms (chopped) 5-7 mins cook
Add cooked rice and mix , then after pushing all ingredients to side of pan, add two beaten eggs and add more butter and stir eggs and butter until partly scrambled but still soft, stir everything together. Turn down heat, add Worcester Sauce to taste

Cabbie21 Mon 16-Nov-20 12:48:29

Sauce for lasagne.
Stuffed marrows when they are in season

Fennel Mon 16-Nov-20 12:23:23

Mince the meat , add gravy, or various veg, and reheat thoroughly.
Then serve over pasta.
Or in a meat pie.
Or mixed with mashed potatoes and make rissoles.
Or stuffing for cabbage rolls.
etc.

B9exchange Mon 16-Nov-20 12:17:56

Cornish pasties, stir fries, pilaf?

Rosiebee Mon 16-Nov-20 12:14:03

DH is a roast and gravy man. I always do a roast on Sundays even when it's only the two of us. I'm ok with buying a decent joint as I always use leftovers, sometimes sliced in gravy and frozen or shepherd's/cottage pie. Freezer is nearly full and I am looking for ideas for our left over lamb from yesterday, or any other roast meats. Thanks?