Gransnet forums

Food

Ice cream christmass pudding

(19 Posts)
Graygirl Mon 16-Nov-20 20:36:07

Lost recipe, I used to have a recipe for this pudding got destroyed /lost not sure
Would love to make for DD family this year . All I can remember is pouches of fruit ,pineapple, cherry, think they were Withworth brand, double cream,no alcohol that was important

petra Mon 16-Nov-20 20:41:47

There's this one from the BBC good food website.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/christmas-pudding-ice-cream

EllanVannin Mon 16-Nov-20 20:53:31

Images of an ice-cream Christmas pudding was in the 60's when my late SiL made a Christmas pudding bombe. It was a Christmas pud with ice-cream inside.
I've never seen one since nor tasted anything like it. I never knew if it was home-made or bought but it was delicious.

Jaxjacky Mon 16-Nov-20 20:58:17

EllenVannin

Jaxjacky Mon 16-Nov-20 20:59:04

Oops

Chewbacca Mon 16-Nov-20 21:20:53

Iced cream Christmas pudding bomb was very popular in the 1970s; I remember making it when first married and out to impress. Now I get it from our local farm who make their own ice cream and have a monthly "special" and Christmas Pudding is available in December.

annsixty Mon 16-Nov-20 21:31:00

I used to make one with Crystallised fruits and the spices which go into Christmas pudding, this was made into ice cream with double cream and probably other things I can’t remember.
It was absolutely delicious.
If anyone is interested I can probably find the recipe but I am in bed now and would look tomorrow morning.

Graygirl Tue 17-Nov-20 09:02:36

Annsixty that would be great, with everything going on this year both low and high.Her MIL on end of life care, GD has been offered places at all of the 5 universities she applied to, plus this pesky virus,and DD has RA that went into flair. Think I need to bring back a dish that will invoke happy memories

shysal Tue 17-Nov-20 10:34:23

I made this Jamie Oliver version some years ago. It was a hit, but it was difficult to find the glace fruit. What I did find on line was very expensive.
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/winter-pudding-bombe/

annsixty Tue 17-Nov-20 15:02:12

I must eat humble pie here Graygirl whilst I knew exactly where my recipe was, I didn’t imagine that my live-in GD had had a clear out whils I had three days in hospital recently.

She threw out two folders of recipes collected over 60 years without a by your leave.
It was in a booklet given away many years ago in a Christmas edition of Good Housekeeping.

I am feeling bereft ,even though I would probably never make most of the recipes again, but loved once a year to go through them.
Most definitely missed is my original Bero book , the one printed in Sepia.

Witzend Thu 19-Nov-20 09:34:21

Goodness, @annsixty, I’d have been livid! How dared she do such a thing?

That’s as bad as the MiL I read about, who threw out some sentimental memorabilia and treasured childhood books belonging to a DiL - because they were ‘clutter’ and then said in that injured tone that she was ‘only trying to help’. Like hell! ?

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 10:22:45

I wasn’t very happy Witzend but she is a dear girl who has looked after me wonderfully since my H died and I have been very incapacitated.
It didn’t affect me half as much as when my stepfather threw away all my childhood photographs and memories of my father who died when I was eleven out of jealousy and pure malice.
I didn’t know until a friend of my mother’s told me.
My mother didn’t dare tell me herself.

Namsnanny Thu 19-Nov-20 11:01:32

annsixty how spiteful of him! I'm so cross on your behalf.
Sorry this happened to you.
Unforgivable behaviour.
Was it possible to get copies of photos your relative may have had?
Thank goodness you have your memories smile

Namsnanny Thu 19-Nov-20 11:03:31

chewbacca if poss. Could you pm me the name of your ice cream farm?
Ours has stopped making it and I'm feeling lazy this year smile

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 11:04:49

Thank you Namsnanny
This all happened a very long time ago so I have recovered from it.

My memories are all I need now.

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 11:06:06

I googled Good Housekeeping and they still have a good recipe but not the one I had originally.

Auntieflo Thu 19-Nov-20 18:52:39

annsixty, have you found your recipe yet?

My DD makes this Delia one, from her christmas cookery book, without the topping if glace fruits. It is really lovely.

goose1964 Sat 21-Nov-20 11:53:58

I've made the one in Delia's Christmas book, I made it a lot when we had big family Christmases

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:08:04

annsixty

I must eat humble pie here Graygirl whilst I knew exactly where my recipe was, I didn’t imagine that my live-in GD had had a clear out whils I had three days in hospital recently.

She threw out two folders of recipes collected over 60 years without a by your leave.
It was in a booklet given away many years ago in a Christmas edition of Good Housekeeping.

I am feeling bereft ,even though I would probably never make most of the recipes again, but loved once a year to go through them.
Most definitely missed is my original Bero book , the one printed in Sepia.

So sorry for your loss.
I love collecting recipe books and have a few old ones.
Very precious.

Take a look at these two links. smile

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193759209240

www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/brian-braithwaite/good-housekeeping-christmas-book/9780852237564?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkuP9BRCkARIsAKGLE8VKtEH5LGcW-ifqySF2UiR-iVN9Y52ju2BL9EazUEwghP8gSHAljSAaAl4IEALw_wcB

Nothing I love more than browsing through my recipes, especially those in my two little folders. They are full with recipes cut out out magazines or cards from the supermarkets.