Gransnet forums

Food

Your favourite cook ?

(101 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 18-Nov-20 05:05:15

Got to say it's Delia and Mary B my number one go to books....recipes never fail.....
I also like Rick Stein, Nigella, Jamie Oliver and hairy bikers, Nigel Slater is a good read but not keen on the lay out of his recipes.

LadyGracie Thu 17-Dec-20 14:43:49

James Martin, he has a lovely twinkle in his eye AND he loves butter, as do I

Farmhouse Kitchen, Dorothy Sleighthome, I still use the two cookery books most weeks.

merlotgran Thu 17-Dec-20 13:51:54

Jamie Oliver is my favourite at the moment. His Christmas two parter had some lovely recipes. I'll definitely give the apricot stuffing and mulled wine glaze for the gammon a go.

His two little boys are delightful and great fun.

DavidFresko Thu 17-Dec-20 11:46:06

I sometimes gets new recipes from book "The Joy of Cooking" Author - Irma S. Rombauer. But in usually I using Internet websites with recipes or looking cooking shows on youtube.

goose1964 Sat 21-Nov-20 11:37:23

I love recipes but whenever I read them I tweak for our tastes, my cooking is definitely more Nigel Slater than Delia, but Nigella is best for cakes and pud. I find Mary Berry too authoritarian as in you must do this or that.

paddyanne Fri 20-Nov-20 22:53:11

Anyone remember Robert Carrier ,his programmes were excellent and I have a complete series of the magazines in binders...not mine I must confess I lent them to a friend who then emigrated and took them with him .My SIL kindly gave mme her set recently and I'm enjoying trawling through them

Lizbethann55 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:48:02

BelindaB was that a freudian slip???

grannysyb Fri 20-Nov-20 17:24:23

I like Mary Berry, Delia , and Diana Henry. My DD gave me her book called "From the oven to the table " one pot cooking, very useful. When my children were small I used the Yorkshire WI cookery book for baking, also the Hamlyn all colour cookbook.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 20-Nov-20 17:15:32

DH, who cooks for fun (something I don't understand) and has kept us fed in wonderful fashion since lockdown started (and before).

merlotgran Fri 20-Nov-20 15:45:31

I bagsied Marcus a few posts back!!

While you've got his undivided attention, Jaxjacky can you point out that marinate is a verb and marinade is a noun.

He's not the only one who annoys the hell out of me by 'marinading' ingredients (James Martin et al) but you'd think somebody would have pointed it out by now.

As for advocado.......hmm

kittylester Fri 20-Nov-20 15:25:41

I think the obesity problem started here with the proliferation of fast food outlets!

Jaxjacky Fri 20-Nov-20 15:25:38

Lizbethann55 I bagsied Marcus a few posts back!! X

BelindaB Fri 20-Nov-20 15:01:01

Sorry! Thats "Cook"!!!!

BelindaB Fri 20-Nov-20 15:00:34

Somehow, the terms "Cok" and "Celebrity" just don't work for me. My all time fave cook was my nana, who taught me everything I know and I am always being told what a good cook I am. I loathe cooking programmes, with rare exceptions. Celebrity masterchef is one of them and I've always enjoyed Bake-off.

I, also, like watching Nadia - she's a natural!

I collect the odd recipe from here and there - good ones from the daily mail almost daily, sometimes because of something I've eaten whilst out or on holiday.

Has anybody else noticed that the obesity problem in this country started almost at the same time as the cult of celebrity cooking?

dogsmother Fri 20-Nov-20 12:42:49

Anyone watched Jacques Pepin video clips?
A French chef who is Americanised. He is fabulous, he has simplified so much, wonderful man.

henetha Fri 20-Nov-20 12:39:27

Jamie Oliver. For food reasons, I love what he cooks.

CaptainCarol Fri 20-Nov-20 12:26:18

Ainsley Harriott ❤

travelsafar Fri 20-Nov-20 09:00:34

J52 i too love Raymond Blanc, he has a saucy twinkle in his eye and that coupled with his french accent, he could cook in my kitchen anyday.smile Oh and of course he is wonderful to his very elderly mother and his family. But i don't have any of his books.

merlotgran Thu 19-Nov-20 21:15:17

I'm watching Masterchef: The Professionals and I can't believe I've just heard Marcus Wareing refer to an advocado......twice.

He's a top chef FGS.

Lizbethann55 Thu 19-Nov-20 16:22:59

I have no idea what his cooking skills are like, though I imagine they are pretty good, but I think I am in love with Marcus Wareing? Those eyes!!!!!??????????

J52 Thu 19-Nov-20 16:04:34

Raymond Blanc - perfection ?

Aepgirl Thu 19-Nov-20 15:12:15

I use a lot of Delia Smith's recipes, and also Mary Berry. They are easy to follow and not to fussy. However, I've found Mary B very irritating to watch on TV now - everything she cooks is 'my favourite' and whatever she makes it's always 'there, couldn't be easier/simpler/quicker'. Of course it is, she doesn't have to do the prep or the clearing up afterwards!

travelsafar Thu 19-Nov-20 08:14:47

I have several cook books and never refer to any of them. (Note oneself to take to charity shop once reopened) I always now go to the internet, much quicker and easier than trawling through lots of books. I do have a recipe box my DD bought me and if i particularly like a recipe i will print off and store in there. I do have a handwritten fruit cake recipe in there that my dear mum wrote out and used often. It is a beautiful rich fruit cake but so calorific so only made now on high days and holidays.

Grandmafrench Wed 18-Nov-20 22:48:49

My Darling Husband, Darina Allen, Elizabeth David, Nigel Slater, and never the simpering Nigella.

Nanna58 Wed 18-Nov-20 22:32:53

Mary Berry- I want her to adopt me, and for Monica Galletti to be my sister!!!!! ?

dolphindaisy Wed 18-Nov-20 22:18:51

I'm coeliac and I've discovered recipes from Betty Excell. I get an email sent to my inbox every other day. She also has a blog and a website and has just announced she has a cookbook out next year. Today's recipe was for gluten free mince pies so I'll certainly try those.