Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian Christmas

(77 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 25-Nov-20 15:53:54

What are the best vegetarian options instead of turkey on Christmas Day?

polyester57 Wed 06-Jan-21 14:39:11

To answer Witzend´s query about what vegans do about gravy, I am afraid I just use Bisto. There are no animal products on the list of ingredients and the vegan in the house hasn´t complained yet. God knows, there is enough faffing about making two separate Christmas meals.

AlisaFrost Wed 06-Jan-21 13:25:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-Nov-20 19:13:58

claresc0tt I don't know if you were referring to my nut roll or the spinach and pine nut one but sadly I have no recipe to offer.
The trick is to make two or more nutty mixtures and layer them into a thin-ish rectangle (say in a baking sheet). You ^must have a decent piece of cling film, parchment or whatever underneath to help with rolling. You need to make one nutty mix f
Pretty green so that it's still green once cooked. For me, out of habit, this is my pine-nut layer. If you have not enough green herbs you can use some spinach.
...Then you just roll it up like a Swiss Roll and bake it as you would any other nut roast.

If you want if to be perfect you can cook it in a very well greased or genuinely non-stick milk-loaf tin and turn it out once properly cooked.
Lovely!

The other roll I've been known to cook is a spanakopita roll. Use a spanakopita filling and roll it up in pastry. It will sag into an oval though so be warned!

Shandy57 Fri 27-Nov-20 17:17:07

I make veg sausage toad in the hole.

Deedi Fri 27-Nov-20 17:14:58

Blossoming
Thank you!

Blossoming Thu 26-Nov-20 22:21:56

Deedi Morrison’s stock the Vegilantes range.

moggie57 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:20:20

We have it every year.daughter and GC love it.and get veggie sausages by Linda McCartney. They love then too.wouldn't even thjnknof getting anything else. N
ut roast is good too

moggie57 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:18:21

Blossoming

What are the best vegetarian options instead of turkey on Christmas Day?

Quorn roast.

Deedi Thu 26-Nov-20 22:03:51

Kizzykins
Where can I buy the jackfruit parcels by vigilantes? Sounds tasty!

claresc0tt Thu 26-Nov-20 19:52:09

Hi, can you provide an actual recipe please with cooking instructions also. Sounds yummy that nut roll

cookiemonster66 Thu 26-Nov-20 19:38:17

I have been vegetarian for 45+ years now and to be honest am happy with the veg only, ie everything a carnivore eats minus the meat! make sure the potatoes are NOT cooked in goose fat or some people stick some around the meat roasting. I have to say I do not like it when people cook me something special just for me as I then feel obliged to eat it even if I do not want or like it as they have gone to the trouble

vegansrock Thu 26-Nov-20 19:35:05

Rose Elliot’s sherry and mushroom sauce is good as a gravy for nut roast.

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 19:16:47

The Guardian veggie (or vegan with a slight adjustment) nut roast sounds v nice even to me. Sounds as if at least it’d taste Christmassy.

What do veggies/vegans do about gravy?
Is there a good recipe? - I might be needing one. I can imagine a good stock made of roasted veg, def. with sage and onion if for Christmas.

Blossoming Thu 26-Nov-20 19:09:52

It sounds delicious rockgran, I want to try it! Not sure when I’ll get out shopping, but I will manage it somehow and if necessary I can freeze it. We’ll try it out before Christmas just in case. I’m not too keen in all the ‘pretend’ meat substitutes like Quorn, I’d rather try recipes like this.

rockgran Thu 26-Nov-20 18:48:23

I haven't tried freezing the Chestnut and red wine en croute although I know you can - but I can guarantee it is delicious.

Blossoming Thu 26-Nov-20 18:22:29

Here is the Chestnut and red wine pate en croute recipe, and it can be frozen. www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/dec/17/features.weekend4

HurdyGurdy Thu 26-Nov-20 18:17:40

I made this for my son last year, and ended up having it myself! It was delicious.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/golden-glazed-carrot-mushroom-hazelnut-tart

Kim19 Thu 26-Nov-20 16:47:06

My Christmas hostess is V and I've never had a bad meal yet. Usually very innovative and interesting as a matter of fact.

Rosina Thu 26-Nov-20 16:37:33

Last year I made individual nut roasts in ramekins from a recipe that for once didn't contain bread. They were delicious and had tomato, nuts and a melted cheese filling. Irritatingly I have lost the recipe. However, I am quite happy to have a Christmas lunch without a vegetarian offering - there is so much else.

kizzykins Thu 26-Nov-20 15:59:34

We are having Jackfruit Parcels from Vegilantes. Yummy smile

Fernhillnana Thu 26-Nov-20 14:31:35

I went for a works Christmas dinner once to a very posh hotel in Lancashire. Everyone was served a lovely meal and after a long pause the “vegetarian option” was brought out to me. It was a plate of plain white boiled rice.

busylizzy Thu 26-Nov-20 14:11:16

Has anyone tried freezing the Bosh mushroom Wellington? If so does it work well and at what point did you freeze it please?

Bathsheba Thu 26-Nov-20 14:08:09

rockgran

"Chestnut and red wine pate en croute" by Rose Elliot. the recipe is easy to google. It has always been a favourite in our house.

I had a look at this recipe and it looks delicious! I'd love to try it, but would prefer to make ahead if possible and freeze it, before cooking. There is no reference to freezing on the recipe page. Have you tried freezing it and if so was it OK?

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:39:41

Yes I did Moggycuddler*; picked up on one mistake and over looked the most obviousblush.

P3terpan Thu 26-Nov-20 13:36:43

My DIL is a vegan and she likes a tofurkey at Christmas and thanksgiving