Gransnet forums

Food

Carrot jelly anyone?

(16 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 11:06:02

A while back a poster sent me a link for a recipe for beetroot in blackcurrant jelly. I hate beetroot but dh loves it so in a good mood I made some. According to dh it is delicious so thank you to the GNetter for the info.

Now I would like a recipe for carrot jelly please if anyone has one. Obviously grated carrot and orange jelly but what else? Maybe make the jelly up with vinegar as I did for the beetroot? Any ideas?

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 11:12:15

Was it me?
It may not have been because I used a strawberry jelly and red wine vinegar and it is delicious (if you like beetroot). I chopped the beetroot.

I'm not sure about carrot jelly though as beetroot in vinegar is traditional but I've never eaten carrots in vinegar.

annsixty Thu 26-Nov-20 11:31:34

I had this as part of a buffet at a party, it was delicious.
The hostess, in spite of many requests, could not be persuaded to give out the recipe, so if anyone knows it I should be delighted to get it.

25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 11:32:22

Don’t think it was you Callistemon. The recipe was from www.allotment-garden.org. A very interesting website with lots of advice on preserving, recipes, and gardening advice. If you’ve not been on it before well worth a look.

I had orange carrot jelly at a flower/gardening festival lunch in Stogumber Somerset. Usually held in June, open gardens, and delicious help yourself lunch made by the locals, all in aid of village funds. Recommend a visit in the future. They also have a fantastic wild flower field.

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 11:43:56

That's the one I used, 25Avalon, although the idea was given to me by a friend who'd eaten it but he didn't have the recipe.
Yes, it is a good website.

I don't think carrot jelly has vinegar in it.

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 11:46:42

Stogumber would be within travelling distance so I'll try to remember that, thank you. Let's hope it will be on again next year.
I've seen the name on weatherman Ian's maps. smile

Izabella Thu 26-Nov-20 11:59:08

100g sugar
1 lemon
60g water
2.5 g agar
1 carrot
4 oranges

Blend oranges and carrots
Mix sugar and lemon juice. Add to blende
Blend on high till smooth

Pour into saucepan simmer 5 mins stirring

Stir in agar or gelatine. Stir constantly until dissolved
Pour into moulds

25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 12:03:05

I can’t think it has vinegar either Callistemon but like Annsixty I found it delicious and I too couldn’t persuade anyone to give me the recipe. I will have to experiment. Maybe try with just carrot and jelly and taste what might be missing.

25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 12:04:33

Isabella you are a star. I will try this. Thank you.

25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 12:06:39

I mean Izabella- darn predictive text again! smile

jusnoneed Thu 26-Nov-20 13:18:02

It was me that gave you the link, glad your hubby enjoyed it.

Never heard of carrot jelly so will be interested to see how that turns out if you make it.

MayBee70 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:25:13

I think jelly must be the new banana bread because I’ve been craving jelly for ages but the shop that delivers to me couldn’t get any. However today they went the Co op and got one for me so I’m going to make a milk jelly (hurrah!). I even spoke to a friend on the phone yesterday that, completely out of the blue said she’d been making herself jelly for pudding. I even bought some trifle sponges the other day thinking I’d got a jelly in the cupboard only to find there wasn’t one. I’d boiled the kettle in preparation as well. Now I need to get some gelatin to make the carrot one!

Calendargirl Thu 26-Nov-20 14:18:22

I often use the allotment garden website for preserves recipes.

Very good one.

25Avalon Thu 26-Nov-20 14:30:39

Jusnoneed thank you for the link. Much appreciated. Instead of cube jelly I used Hartley’s powder variety which was much easier to make up.

MayBee70 Sat 19-Dec-20 18:54:36

I’ve been wanting to try this ever since I first read this thread. So today I made a jelly using an orange Rowntrees jelly mixed with liquidised carrot, satsuma and apple. It was delicious. I had it with some Ambrosia tinned custard. Annoyingly I haven’t got any more orange jelly but I might make another one using a strawberry jelly and mixing it with more liquidised fruit.

Grandma11 Sat 19-Dec-20 19:14:15

If you really want a treat try adding some Orange Liqueur to it, either Cointreau or Grand Marnier work well. I also use them with an Orange jelly to make smooth Chicken liver pâté, along with fresh oranges and a dash of double cream!