Gransnet forums

Food

Resting the turkey.

(44 Posts)
annsixty Tue 01-Dec-20 10:49:38

It is several years since I cooked turkey and I will confess I was never really very successful.
I was watching a Christmas cookery programme recently, I think it was Gordon Ramsey and he said you should rest your turkey for as long as you cooked it.
In his case he cooked for two and a half hours and rested for two and a half hours.
Is this the secret or would it be drying out even further?

Nanagem Sun 13-Dec-20 22:26:55

I always rest any meat I cook, a joint or the Turkey will be lifted out of the oven and left in the tray it was cooked in, then covered with foil and a few tea towels, literally but to bed ?. Stays like that for half an hour or so, it’s lovely and hot and so tender.

Steaks/chops/chicken pieces I remove from heat leave in pan cover and leave for five minutes or so, just while I serve the rest of the meal.

Witzend Sat 05-Dec-20 08:54:43

Our tradition of having Christmas dinner at around 5, instead of at about 3pm, started many years ago when I had rather too much Buck’s Fizz and completely forgot even to parboil the potatoes until the turkey was nearly ready. So that was when I also learned that it will keep hot if well wrapped up.

Everyone was that much more ready for a big dinner at 5, and it’s far less of a rush for the cook (usually me), plus it gives plenty of time for a walk well before dark, too.

Calendargirl Fri 04-Dec-20 09:32:06

DH watched this programme, I didn’t, can’t stand GR.

Apparently the hot gravy makes it all ok?

What tripe!

Iam64 Fri 04-Dec-20 07:30:42

Three sounds perfect, this year kittylester. I usually make two large lots of stuffing, a traditional chestnut and Delia's American stuffing. If we are down to two here (things fluctuate) then my plan was to make the batches as usual, and share it by delivering on Christmas Eve. One of my daughters is (probably) cooking her first Christmas dinner so home made stuffing, which she loves, may be a boon

kittylester Fri 04-Dec-20 07:21:05

Iam64

How many will you be this year kittylester?
We are planning to see our family is small groups, for walks. If it isn't pouring down as it has been recently. I'm hoping for frosty, crisp, sunny days so I can take some mince pies and a flask of coffee. This is what may pass for a Christmas party this peculiar year

Just 3, iam. sad

We will do drive by present drops with the 4 who live within striking distance and meet the more distant one for a walk.

I also make bread sauce for everyone which I dont think will travel well by post!!

baubles Thu 03-Dec-20 18:10:01

I wrap it well in a couple of layers of foil then in a couple of bath sheets for at least an hour. Always hot and definitely not dry, it was a game changer when I discovered this several years ago.

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 18:06:04

Forgetting the home-made stuffings and bread sauce.

Leaving the giblets inside in the bag shock
I thought I might poison everyone but they were all ok.

MawBe Thu 03-Dec-20 09:25:49

Swearing at the roasties then Lucca grin

Lucca Thu 03-Dec-20 09:12:22

Me apologising in advance for presents. “Oh you’ll probably not like this”

Lucca Thu 03-Dec-20 09:11:09

MawBe

Every time I read the thread title Resting the turkey I am reminded of Cursing the gammon
Any other Christmas traditions?
(Apart from Burning the pudding?)

Occasionally I’ve put roast potatoes in a bit late and have been seen standing in front of the oven muttering “roast you bastards”

Iam64 Thu 03-Dec-20 09:06:22

Burning or forgetting to cook the sprouts.

Mixing up the Christmas presents as 17 adults and children rip off paper and forget who gave them what. (I know, shameful and extravagant)

MawBe Thu 03-Dec-20 08:58:09

Every time I read the thread title Resting the turkey I am reminded of Cursing the gammon
Any other Christmas traditions?
(Apart from Burning the pudding?)

Iam64 Thu 03-Dec-20 08:54:57

How many will you be this year kittylester?
We are planning to see our family is small groups, for walks. If it isn't pouring down as it has been recently. I'm hoping for frosty, crisp, sunny days so I can take some mince pies and a flask of coffee. This is what may pass for a Christmas party this peculiar year

Georgesgran Wed 02-Dec-20 20:50:30

Agree coolgran65 - tin foil and towels - while the vegetables are roasted.

kittylester Wed 02-Dec-20 20:43:52

Oh, Iam, dont remind me. sad Last year we were 23 all told. It was wonderful chaos and the hostess trolley was well used!

Witzend Wed 02-Dec-20 20:07:04

I rest ours for a good hour, wrapped in foil with tea towels on top, and it’s still hot.
I did once rest it upside down, so that the juices flowed into the breast, rather than the other way around, but turning a large, oven-hot turkey upside down is a major exercise and I’ve never done it since.

That hour gives me plenty of time to make the gravy, finish the roast potatoes, sides and veg. In between more Buck’s Fizz and nibbles, of course. (I never do a starter for Christmas dinner.)

I used to have a hostess trolley, but it was rarely used once I acquired a double oven. It eventually went to make room for a piano - sold for £80 on eBay.

Iam64 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:28:04

This thread is reminding me that this strange year, we will be cooking just for ourselves, for two. I know I'm lucky, my sister and other loved ones will be spending the day alone thanks to this covid thing.
In my 50s when both my parents were alive, I cooked for 17 on Christmas Day. We had the emergency Christmas cutlery, the garden bench that came into add to seating and we would borrow a gate leg table from mum, to put at the end of our dining table. Somehow we'd all squash round the table. There would be crackers of course, turkey, ham, every trimming and usually about 5 dogs, including my own two. Wonderful, chaotic, happy times.

CanadianGran Wed 02-Dec-20 03:15:06

I saw a hostess trolley for the first time when visiting an aunt in Jersey. I had never heard of them before. Brilliant idea if you have room for it.

I only rest the turkey while making gravy and getting everything else on the table. so like others, around 20 min.

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Dec-20 23:47:49

I rest all my meat. I also rest the turkey. Under foil and two good thick towels, both folded, over it. It is plenty hot after an hour.
And no one has ever suffered from it being kept warm for that length of time.
It carves beautifully.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 21:51:14

Ditto

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 19:21:40

Just realised I’m talking rubbish. Turkey does not get put in hostess trolley. All the other gubbins does, bread sauce, stuffing balls, potatoes, veg, bacon olives ( instead of pigs in blankets) etc.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 18:35:03

My older DGD used to do her 'cooking' in the hostess trolley with all my plastic boxes, wooden spoons, bowls etc..
She used to cook up a feast!

phoenix Tue 01-Dec-20 18:10:30

In the past when cooking for large numbers, I have been known to cook my turkey on Christmas Eve to save oven space and hassle on Christmas Day.

Providing the plates are hot, and the gravy too (plus everything else, stuffing, pigs in blankets etc) it worked very well.

Iam64 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:49:30

Victoria Wood -Hostess trollies and especially the Women's Weekly.
She was a joy wasn't she. I loved her on childbirth, smear tests and the period when she was the aerobics teacher who worked as a surgeon at the local hospital. I so wish she'd got on to the menopause and old age. I bet she does too.

sodapop Tue 01-Dec-20 17:33:04

Meat should be rested for as long as it is cooked according to my husband. It definitely makes a difference, he can always tell if meat has been rested or not. I agree with Missfoodlove cover with foil and a tea towel and leave for an hour.