Gransnet forums

Food

Beef and celeriac

(19 Posts)
Marthjolly1 Sun 20-Dec-20 00:02:13

We absolute love celeriac. Yes it's a bit difficult to peel and cut, much the same as swede. But I cook the same as mashed potatoes and often serve as an alternative

dogsmother Sat 19-Dec-20 23:48:55

I love it in coleslaw!

Fennel Sat 19-Dec-20 18:00:52

I might try it then - my friend says it's good in soups.

Riverwalk Sat 19-Dec-20 12:18:08

Fennel

Even though I'm an adventurous cook I've never tried celeriac.
Just don't like the look of it - is it hard to peel and chop?
My usual beef stew includes lots of butter beans, presoaked. Plus tinned baked beans in tomato sauce.
I've got other recipes with dried fruit - prunes, apricots etc.
And beer.

Celeriac looks a bit difficult Fennel but it really isn't and is worth it!

With a large sharp knife top & tail so you have a firm base - the bottom can be rooty and gnarly. Then with a good vegetable knife cut down the skin from top to bottom, and work your way around, rather like if you were tackling a pineapple.

Then cut into 1" or so dice and roast with a splash of olive oil, just like potatoes - really delicious

I roasted one yesterday and this portion was left over and I'll have with lunch - just reheat in the microwave.

polyester57 Sat 19-Dec-20 11:54:37

Always on the lookout for new recipes, I made this last weekend. It was delicious! I live in Central Europe and we use celeriac a lot. It´s not to everyone´s taste, but absolutely perfect in this dish. I suppose you could forgo the celeriac and/or the horseradish if you really object, but it will just make it another beef stew then.

Willow73 Fri 18-Dec-20 12:43:41

my husband hates horseradish, can this stew be made without it or is there any suggestions of replacement ingredients?

DavidFresko Fri 18-Dec-20 12:27:36

Maybe you can find some simple recipes here recipes.cafe/en .

Fennel Wed 09-Dec-20 16:41:24

ps Some ideas for roast vegetables - no mention of celeriac!
www.750g.com/11-legumes-de-noel-a-rotir-au-four-a29395.htm?utm_source=Emailing&utm_medium=Inspiration&utm_campaign=6099

Fennel Mon 07-Dec-20 17:50:44

Just because you live in France you don't have to use celeriac! Or any other veg. You can buy it here too.
I just don't like the look of it, and it seems difficult to cut up.
As with the various types of pumpkin, which we used to grow because they suppress the weeds and look pretty.

biba70 Sun 06-Dec-20 16:29:25

So surprised Fennel, didn't you live in France for a long time. Such a French winter veg, and so cheap in France. Roasted, pureed, rémoulade (as seen on Master Chef the other day), and more.

Fennel Sat 05-Dec-20 19:34:58

Even though I'm an adventurous cook I've never tried celeriac.
Just don't like the look of it - is it hard to peel and chop?
My usual beef stew includes lots of butter beans, presoaked. Plus tinned baked beans in tomato sauce.
I've got other recipes with dried fruit - prunes, apricots etc.
And beer.

merlotgran Sat 05-Dec-20 19:22:35

We grew a lot of celeriac this year so thanks for reminding me of this dish, morethan

I've treated myself to an electric pressure cooker/slow cooker so I'm looking for stews that will work.

morethan2 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:08:19

Ps I make a decent stew but this is just that bit different and really gorgeous thanks again

morethan2 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:06:30

Yeah thank you I found it. I’m making it just before Christmas for my son and family.

mumofmadboys Sat 05-Dec-20 18:11:44

Mary Berry's beef stew with ginger, horseradish and celeriac in a Very Berry Christmas. Found it on line

mumofmadboys Sat 05-Dec-20 18:07:31

I have cooked it too. I think it is a Mary Berry recipe. It was delicious

morethan2 Sat 05-Dec-20 18:00:43

Thanks for your reply B it’s not the one I was looking for but I’ll try it if the other doesn’t turn up

B9exchange Fri 04-Dec-20 12:35:56

www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/beef-celeriac-horseradish-cobbler any good?

morethan2 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:24:25

Last Christmas I cooked a delicious beef stew for my family I’d like to cook it in my house to take to my bereaved sons house for after Christmas. His cooking skills are improving but very basic. The main ingredients were beef and celeriac and I think horseradish. I’ve looked high and low and wonder if any one of you lovelies can remember the recipe.