Gransnet forums

Food

Need sour cream for sour cream in the cake

(10 Posts)
Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 10:57:34

Dear, who prepared the sour cream cake?
I recently live in uk, I have not quite adapted to the products, or rather to the substitutes for my domestic products. Let me explain - for example, in Russia sour cream - here is sour cream (in English the name sounds the same, but the taste and properties in preparation are slightly different).
Why is this .... I need to make a cake for my anniversary - I will bake for the first time. the recipe is simple but you need a dead sour cream (I saw in the reviews because of the purchase of sour cream from a different manufacturer - some women did not get the cream). Tell me, did you cook cream from local sour cream (for example, smentana bought in Tesco)? or will it fail?
can it be better to buy in a Russian or Lithuanian store? and what brand?
or the last option - can you recommend a cool and simple cream recipe together?

(a little about the cake that I want to cook - just chocolate cakes, sour cream whipped with sugar, serhu for decorating berries and chocolate).

Thanks for any advice!

Redhead56 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:05:13

Sour cream can be obtained in most supermarkets. If you don’t see it buy a carton of double cream and add lemon juice. Make sure it is double cream so it does not split just add lemon juice and stir it makes sour cream. Hope your cake turns out well.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 11:10:25

It's widely available in most supermarkets - I buy it for
Stroganoff.

Sour cream cake sounds delicious

Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 11:26:35

Callistemon

It's widely available in most supermarkets - I buy it for
Stroganoff.

Sour cream cake sounds delicious

by the way, beef strognanov (if you meant that) with local sour cream from tesco turned out much better than with the usual sour cream from my country, I hope it will be the same with cake cream)

Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 11:26:42

Redhead56

Sour cream can be obtained in most supermarkets. If you don’t see it buy a carton of double cream and add lemon juice. Make sure it is double cream so it does not split just add lemon juice and stir it makes sour cream. Hope your cake turns out well.

thanks for the idea. I hope this helps) the cream is needed thick (in the recipe it is cooked on the stove), the cream should cover the cake with a dense layer completely outside. will it work with your method? What do you think?

Teacheranne Mon 14-Dec-20 13:06:12

If I want a layer of cream on top of a cake, I buy double cream and whip it to make it stiff. I am not sure though if you can whip sour cream.

Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 13:33:29

Teacheranne

If I want a layer of cream on top of a cake, I buy double cream and whip it to make it stiff. I am not sure though if you can whip sour cream.

maybe it will be clearer, here is a video of the recipe, but unfortunately it is in Russian and it seems there are no subtitles in English.
Thank you anyway)

janeainsworth Mon 14-Dec-20 13:40:08

Kseniya If you don’t quite like the taste of sour cream, you could try creme fraiche instead. That is also cultured & has a tang (and keeps well) but is a bit less sharp than sour cream.
I sometimes use it for doing topping on a carrot cake.

Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 13:52:27

it’s not that I don’t like the taste of sour cream, I like this taste, I’m afraid that the desired "effect" will not work. that the cream will not thicken, for example, if I choose the wrong shift

Kseniya Mon 14-Dec-20 13:53:26

janeainsworth

Kseniya If you don’t quite like the taste of sour cream, you could try creme fraiche instead. That is also cultured & has a tang (and keeps well) but is a bit less sharp than sour cream.
I sometimes use it for doing topping on a carrot cake.

just for example, Polish sour cream and English sour cream may differ, that's the question for me - which one is better to choose.