Gransnet forums

Food

Elmlea and lemon juice?

(9 Posts)
eddiecat78 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:35:48

I was planning to make a dessert which is basically condensed milk, double cream and lemon juice When you mix it all together the lemon juice makes the cream thicken.
Anyway, Tesco couldn`t supply me with double cream and have given me Elmlea Double as a substitute. Does anyone know if this will thicken in the same way that the cream would have? I don`t want to waste the other ingredients if it`s not going to work

Auntieflo Tue 22-Dec-20 14:03:03

Just Googled and came up with these. They may be of help.

Hope you can read the text in the photos.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 14:41:56

I made a key lime pie like this once.
In theory it should work, yours might but mine didn't!
It was just a sloppy mess but everyone ate it anyway.

Do you have any gelatine or vegetarian gel just in case?

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 14:42:19

Ps that was ordinary cream too, not Elmlea

shysal Tue 22-Dec-20 16:42:55

I don't use creathe lemon juice. I suppose you could add whipped Elmlea afterwards. I have used this for meringue pie, a lemon tart and a sponge flan.

I did once try to make buttermilk with lemon and Elmlea, which didn't work very well.

shysal Tue 22-Dec-20 16:46:14

Sorry, messed that up!
I use condensed milk alone, thickened with lemon juice. I suppose you could add whipped Elmlea afterwards. Successful used as above.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 17:16:20

Perhaps my limes weren't acidic enough.
I did follow a recipe and it tasted lovely.

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Dec-20 17:18:14

I can’t help, but I can confirm that replacing double cream with creme fraiche for a healthier version of mousse isn’t advisable.

Why do I always believe the lone reviewer who comes up with a daft idea?

maryrose54 Tue 22-Dec-20 17:57:06

I always use Elmlea instead of double cream. Have made a lemon cheesecake using condensed milk, Elmlea, cream cheese and lemon juice and it thickened up beautifully eddiecat.