Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian Christmas

(5 Posts)
henetha Sat 26-Dec-20 10:48:10

My son and d.i.l are vegetarian, so we bought a Quorn roast, cut it in half and stuffed it with sage and onion, then wrapped the whole thing in pastry, which I think it called 'en croute'.
Then did all the usual veg etc. It was absolutely perfect, with onion gravy.

M0nica Sat 26-Dec-20 10:21:09

I am not a vegetarian and certainly did not have a vegetarian Christmas, but I love chestnuts and they pair wonderfully with mushrooms. I have several recipes for plantbased recipes based on those two ingredients including a wonderfully wintery comfort food stew.

Greyduster Sat 26-Dec-20 08:36:32

I put chestnuts into a sort of veggie Wellington that I made for DD yesterday, along with butternut squash, red onions, red peppers and pecan nuts, and a bit of fresh thyme, bound together with garlic and herb soft cheese. She said it was lovely.

Shrub Sat 26-Dec-20 08:25:08

I once adapted a chestnut stuffing recipe and made it into a chestnut loaf. It was delicious. Chestnuts are probably expensive, but I think we could use them more than we do.

mumofmadboys Sat 26-Dec-20 07:49:14

Someone on GN recommended Rose Eliott's Chestnut and red wine pate en croute as a Christmas main. Made it yesterday for my veggie family and they loved it. So thank you very much to whoever it was! Big success with good instructions. Thanks!