Gransnet forums

Food

Loads if turkey to get rid of- HELP!

(27 Posts)
Craftycat Sat 26-Dec-20 11:22:07

I was expecting to feed 6 on Christmas Day but then we were put into tier 4 & family could not come. I had bought a huge turkey as my DGC can eat for England.
We ate quite large portions yesterday but there is a huge amount left over- I have cut it all off & frozen 6 large bags of meat.
There is soup being made from carcass in pressure cooker but I need some inspiration for turkey leftover meals please. I usually do a pie & a risotto but something different would be nice.
Even the cats are turning their little pink noses up at it already.
Today we have to work our way through masses of different cheeses!!
One good thing came out of it though as DS dashed out & bought a turkey & was on the phone all morning asking me what to do next. He is really chuffed that he made a full roast turkey dinner- I told him he is cooking next year!!

Elegran Sun 27-Dec-20 10:35:00

I am planning a turkey and sausage pie (the sausage part being recycled pigs in blankets) using frozen pastry and well-seasoned white sauce. I'll also make turkey-leekie soup once I have the leeks. There were no giblets or bones with the turkey crown to make stock, but I have chicken stock for the soup. The rest of the meat will be either sliced or cubed and frozen in small quantities.

M0nica Sun 27-Dec-20 10:07:50

Half the turkey has been frozen awaiting our secondd Christmas day when DH returns from hospital.

This morning I dismantled what was left of the other half. There is a large box of cooked turkey in the freezer to be used as and when over the next few months and the carcase and giblets are in the slow cooker slowly being turned into stock for soup and casseroles.

Franbern Sun 27-Dec-20 10:00:36

My daughter and SiL have always made Easter Pies from their Christmas leftovers. They make these the day after Boxing Day and then they are frozen ready for Easter. Uses, not only leftover turkey but any veg and stuffing also.

vegansrock Sun 27-Dec-20 06:37:23

Mince it up and donate to dog/cat rescue centre.

Coolgran65 Sun 27-Dec-20 00:04:57

The only way I can eat Turkey is roast or in sandwiches. We had a 16 lb free range turkey for two of us. DIL sent us over a tub of Turkey meat, breast and leg.

I don't like cooked meat after it has been frozen and defrosted.
We therefore took a big knife to our fresh 16lb turkey, cutting off the legs and carving the two breasts off really close to the carcass. Rolled each breast and tied it so we have 4 frozen turkey roasts suitable for dh and i with a little extra, to be used when Christmas turkey is a memory.

Witzend Sat 26-Dec-20 22:47:59

A mulligatawny soup (can be a main meal with plenty of rice) is a good way to use up some turkey - I shall be making one during the next few days.
Shall also be making a turkey stew with stock from the carcass, leftover meat and plenty of veg.
Several meal-sized packets will be going in the freezer, for the likes of curry later.

readsalot Sat 26-Dec-20 22:33:19

Turkey puffs. Buy a ready rolled puff pastry sheet. Make a white sauce and add onions (softened in butter), chopped turkey, ham, mushrooms, etc. When cool place down centre third of pastry. Cut both sides in 1 cm strips and fold over centre as if plaiting. Brush with beaten egg and divide into four. Bake straight away or freeze. My annual go-to recipe for leftovers. Works with mincemeat and chopped apple too.

GagaJo Sat 26-Dec-20 22:09:31

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/26/17-ways-with-leftover-turkey-from-warming-ramen-to-rich-risotto

Lexisgranny Sat 26-Dec-20 17:24:39

We had goose for the first time this year, anyone know if leftovers can be treated like turkey, would like to try some of the suggestions given above?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 26-Dec-20 17:15:25

Turkey and ham pancakes. Turkey, ham and sweetcorn, onion, anything else you like in a white sauce and served in pancakes. A high spot of our post-Christmas year! Guess who forgot to buy the ham this year though... blush

Luckygirl Sat 26-Dec-20 16:25:29

Send it here! = cold turkey is my absolute favourite food!

My DD is coming round later to deliver cold turkey, ham and bubble and squeak - bliss!

M0nica Sat 26-Dec-20 16:24:51

We had a turkey tarragon fricassee for lunch and will be having turkey biryani and a Christmas pie (everything leftover from the main meal) Then I have a recipe for turkey and mushroom crumble and turkey and ham pie.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 26-Dec-20 16:08:02

Not sure why others are saying freeze it. You've already said craftycat you have frozen 6 large bags of meat.

We ate quite large portions yesterday but there is a huge amount left over- I have cut it all off & frozen 6 large bags of meat

I cook this every boxing day but just add the smoked salmon to my portion as DH doesn't like it. It's great for left over potatoes. I've even put stuffing and sprouts in with it.

Turkey + smoked salmon hash

Ingredients
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- ½ onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 500g/1lb 2oz new potatoes, cooked
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz x salmon, sliced
- 175g/6oz cooked turkey, chopped
- 75g/2¾oz kidney beans
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- small handful chopped fresh dill
- chilli sauce, to serve

Method
1. Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Heat the butter in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the new potatoes and chilli and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until golden-brown.

2. Add the smoked salmon, cooked turkey and beans and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir the mixture until well combined and transfer to the grill for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown. Medium grill

3. Stir in a bottle of sweet chilli sauce and grill for 3 more mins

Kate1949 Sat 26-Dec-20 14:56:30

Similar to Calendargirl, when I was a child the meal I looked forward to most was on Boxing Day. My mother used to do home made chips, turkey, baked beans and bread and butter. Yum.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Dec-20 14:42:33

Turkey cobbler, turkey and asparagus pie, Chinese stir fry, paella. When you next have a roast chicken, make extra gravy and warm up turkey in it for a quick meal.

Alishka Sat 26-Dec-20 13:48:21

Your freezer's your Best Friend here after the 'traditional' Boxing Day turkey curry.

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Dec-20 13:11:03

Turkey curry not mentioned yet? Also turkey chilli.
Turkey and ham soup (if you have a cooked ham).
Turkey pie.
Turkey cottage pie - fry some onions, add some turkey cut into chunks, pre-cooked sliced carrots, tinned chopped tomatoes, chicken or turkey gravy. Turn into a pie dish, cover with mashed potatoes and bake.

NotAGran55 Sat 26-Dec-20 12:39:20

Isn’t the freezer your friend for this ? Slice it up into portions , chuck on some gravy or sauce , freeze and wheel it out on a regular basis when you would normally eat meat .

We don’t eat meat here so don’t have this problemsmile

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Dec-20 12:31:12

Quiche, curry, stir fry, layered in lasagna, soup.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 26-Dec-20 12:00:59

My first thought was Shepherd's Pie, but then I saw you had thought of that too. Make an extra pie anyhow, and freeze it.

Mince some and make stovies.

Cut thin slices and freeze for making sandwiches.

Nortsat Sat 26-Dec-20 11:50:13

We like it cut up and served with fried onions and mushrooms in a white wine sauce. Served with any combination of green vegetables and roast potatoes.

Ditto above in a cheese sauce, mixed with broccoli or chopped up Brussels sprouts and cheesy breadcrumbs on top.

Or with a pepper, onions, mushrooms and garlic, mixed with rice and a tomato sauce (and a splash of red wine does the trick...)

I look upon left over turkey as a positive thing. I freeze it and use it at my leisure.

geekesse Sat 26-Dec-20 11:46:12

Unless you really like turkey, throw it all away. Otherwise, for weeks you’ll have that ‘I suppose we’d better eat up the leftover turkey’ thought hanging over you every mealtime, a constant reminder of a blighted Christmas. I don’t usually encourage wastefulness with food, but this was out of the OP’s control.

Charleygirl5 Sat 26-Dec-20 11:39:57

Freeze the remains.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Dec-20 11:35:18

We love cold turkey with home made chips, a real Boxing Day treat.

Not this year, we had beef. DH wanted a turkey, but for just 2 of us? No oooo.

ginny Sat 26-Dec-20 11:31:59

Put Turkey into a white sauce made with the Turkey stock and some sweated onion or leek add peas and serve with mash or rice.