Gransnet forums

Food

Cooking Oil

(22 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 31-Dec-20 11:52:20

My DH loves my home made chips, Boxing Day cold turkey and chips is a real treat.

We didn’t have turkey this year, so didn’t happen.

How long does anyone else keep the oil used to cook the chips in? It’s about the only time I make chips, and just wonder how long it lasts .

Should say never have oven chips.

EllanVannin Thu 31-Dec-20 11:56:33

Can't help as I have dripping from the butcher's, don't cook in oil, butter for frying.

Jaxjacky Thu 31-Dec-20 12:05:42

Always cook homemade wedges in the oven, so no help, sorry.

Nannarose Thu 31-Dec-20 12:08:12

The oil will keep for ages if you filter it well.
I pour it through a fine sieve into a jug, then I fold a piece of muslin (or kitchen paper) to fit into a funnel, and pour it into the container I keep it in.
I use either a container that was intended for oil, or glass, as oil interacts badly with some plastics. I also keep it in the dark. Although I probably deep fry 3-4 times a year, I only ever add a bit of oil to top up, never actually chuck it out!

Blossoming Thu 31-Dec-20 12:08:46

We use an air fryer.

Alishka Thu 31-Dec-20 13:19:49

Nannarose has nailed it! This is the method we used in an upmarket restaurant I worked at one Summer.

janeainsworth Thu 31-Dec-20 13:58:26

I make chips in sunflower oil 2-3 times a month, in a deep fryer on the hob.
Like nannarose, I’m careful not to let any bits get into the oil.
I keep it in the fridge and use it until it gets to the use-by date.

One thing to be careful of is not pouring hot oil back into a plastic container, so I leave it overnight in the pan & put it back in the bottle the next day.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 31-Dec-20 14:03:21

Sorry oven chips for me

Baggs Thu 31-Dec-20 14:05:11

Nothing beats my homemade wedges (of carrot, beetroot, parsnips, onions, sweet potato plus broccoli as well as potato) which I cook in a small amount of lard (and sometimes some paprika or rosemary) in the oven.

sodapop Thu 31-Dec-20 16:11:02

My husband recycles ours to run his 27 year old Fiat. smile

Calendargirl Fri 01-Jan-21 09:21:20

sodapop

??

??

MawBe Fri 01-Jan-21 09:24:54

sodapop

Is that legal?

Calendargirl Fri 01-Jan-21 09:28:56

MawBe

sodapop

Is that legal?

I think so, but probably makes the car smell like a chip shop.

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 09:48:43

I use sunflower oil to fry in. We didn't ever really fry anything until we discovered GS LOVES chips. If he hasn't had them for a while, it is possible to sneak in carrots and parsnips too as long as they are in chip form.

Probably use the oil 5 or 6 times. A waste really.

Nortsat Fri 01-Jan-21 10:15:37

I filter the oil I used for the roast potatoes (sunflower) when it’s cold, using kitchen paper and a jug and then put it back in the bottle.

I don’t make chips, though I often make potato wedges, which only require a dessert spoonful of oil.

sodapop Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:46

Got it in one Calendargirl you can tell which way he went by the smell. Yes it is legal, as far as I know, different rules here.

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:30:40

We use an airfryer and i couldn`t do without it.
It`s great for all sorts of foods and very healthy.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Jan-21 07:09:25

Thanks to all for advice.

I made my chips yesterday, we had them with ham and eggs, but I bit the bullet and used all fresh rapeseed oil, as I felt the old stuff smelled a bit ‘rancid’.

Will filter and decant it carefully into new glass bottles.

??

fevertree Sat 02-Jan-21 07:41:43

I use a tiny bit of oil, I keep turning the chips so they cook through. I keep the oil in a glass jar with a lid and probably use it one more time.

I like the sound of Baggs' wedges. I must try the lard thing.

As an aside, over these holidays I made chips using Nigella Lawson's recipe - you start them off in cold oil! Amazingly it worked and the potatoes do not absorb much oil. I've copied and pasted info below.

The technique involves cutting the potatoes into slightly chunkier fries (similar to steakhouse fries or thin wedges) around 1cm/1/4 inch thick. The potatoes are then dried in a tea towel and put into room temperature oil and then cooked over a medium heat.

Interestingly the potatoes do not absorb any extra oil with this technique. Regardless of this, the recipe gives beautifully bronzed and crisp fries with less hassle than traditional frying methods.

Esspee Sat 02-Jan-21 07:49:32

Somewhere in the dim distant past I picked up the received wisdom that reusing cooking oil was extremely unhealthy.
Am I alone in remembering this?
Something about free radicals and carcinogens.

kittylester Sat 02-Jan-21 08:08:03

I keep mine in the chip pan in a cold cupboard. I filter it if it's bitty and change it when it looks ready to be changed.

I cook chips about twice a month.

The Nigella version looks good.

dragonfly46 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:13:29

I too use an air fryer.