Gransnet forums

Food

After Eights

(14 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 01-Jan-21 10:36:59

I had some for Christmas. Were they always so chewy? Is it the palm oil? Definitely not how I remember them at any rate.

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 10:38:42

Shame, I used to love them. Particulary frozen.

Puzzler61 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:40:11

They are not the same. We had some gingerbread ones and we both said they were actually nasty ?

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 10:41:33

It's creme eggs all over again. I know a lot of people think they are disgusting, but I used to love them. I won't touch them now.

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Jan-21 10:44:22

They are not the same that`s very true,but i just love dunking them in a cup of hot tea mmmmm.
Yes i know what some of you will be thinking as my dh thinks it`s just wrong.

Nortsat Fri 01-Jan-21 11:41:34

Daisymae we agree, we had a box given to us this Christmas and opened them yesterday. We haven’t had them for years. The first thing my partner said was ‘these are very gungy’ meaning chewy.

Someone mentioned on a thread a while ago, gin & tonic After Eights ... which sound grim. I think her dog ate them!

Moonlight113 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:45:52

Can't say I've noticed any difference. Our three boxes (mistake on online order) are going down at a good rate of knots.

Puzzler61 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:47:04

Oops ignore my post please. I’m getting Matchsticks muddled with After Eights. ? Must be the Prosecco consumed last night!
Lakeland sell some good chocolate peppermint creams by Summerdown Mint. Pure English mint. Would recommend.

Puzzler61 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:47:34

*Matchmakers

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 12:05:02

I LOVE Bendicks Bittermints. If I have a box, I stash them for as long as poss to avoid sharing!

Witzend Fri 01-Jan-21 12:06:17

I still like them! Send any you don’t want over here please!

Alishka Fri 01-Jan-21 12:10:09

I've just added a box of them to my online Morries order. Can't wait!

Jane43 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:10:35

We bought some Lindor chocolates and both remarked that the chocolate covering was tasteless, almost like eating lard. They definitely weren’t the same as they used to be and we won’t be buying any more.

cupaffull Fri 01-Jan-21 12:32:11

I despair, I have a pack of After Eights stashed in the cupboard and was looking forward to them. But is there any chocolate now that doesn't have nasty slimy palm oil added?
I'm talking of the regularly purchased quick snack chocolate we used to buy, not the top end specials?
Have just recently succumbed to a Flake and it tasted disgusting. I recall savouring the creamy crumbly vanilla taste and having to fold the wrapper to tip crumbed contents into my mouth. Now it tastes of nothing, is hard, unyielding and truly awful.
Mondelez have decimated quality at Cadburys and other companies similarly for shareholder profits.