Gransnet forums

Food

Fish not processed in China

(13 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 02-Jan-21 22:16:05

Have you tried asking Mr Google "Where can I buy British fish?"
I just did & was pleasantly surprised to find a vendor offering a lovely selection of British fish caught in West Country waters. Looks fantastic. If I had a bigger freezer I'd order a selection box myself.
I hope this is helpful info.

Liz46 Sat 02-Jan-21 20:35:42

We get a delivery of cod loin from Regal. As far as I know it is ok.

PollyDolly Sat 02-Jan-21 20:30:37

After discovering the dubious freshness of the wet fish in my local supermarket we decided to buy frozen fish. On reading the blurb on the packaging we noticed that the cod was was caught in the North Altlantic...........and packed in China!
No more supermarket fish for us, we now have a fresh delivery every week direct from the Grimsby Docks, portion it and freeze it ourselves! Best thing we have ever done, Tesco can keep their minging fish!!!!!!!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Jan-21 20:25:19

We are close to a fishing village, get catch of the day straight off of the boat.
DIL emails our order, they email back their catch for us to choose.

Sea to plate approximately 12 hours!

LauraNorder Sat 02-Jan-21 19:58:56

Lucky here, we have a fish processing plant in Holyhead, fresh mussels, crab, lobster, scallops, dogfish, whitebait, cod and others.Also local fisherman friend gives us fresh trout from lakes in Snowdonia.

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Jan-21 19:56:58

Like Janeainsworth we buy from local fishmongers already gutted and cleaned so we just portion it up and freeze it ourselves. It's all fresh and not been frozen previously. Easy to freeze and quick to defrost.

Find yourself a local fishmonger. They're really helpful, have all sorts of fish and can advise on cooking and storage just as a local butcher will.

David0205 Sat 02-Jan-21 19:53:36

In the case of Prawns etc Greg Wallace featured that on food factory recently, dozens of workers standing shoulder to shoulder cleaning and disecting prawns.

White fish would be gutted and filleted before freezing, on board ship, how all that works with quotas I have no idea.

SuzannahM Sat 02-Jan-21 19:38:29

Found this -

"The British fish farming industry has their catches sent on a 10,000-mile round trip to China and back again only to reduce processing costs.

In a bizarre arrangement, which produces thousands of tonnes of harmful CO2 emissions each year, cod caught in the North Atlantic is transported to China for processing before being shipped back to Britain.

The catch is deep frozen and shipped to China, where workers earn £2 a day to fillet and re-freeze the fish."

Report is longer - link attached (if I've linked it properly!)

www.totallyveganbuzz.com/news/fish-caught-off-britain-shores-travel-10000-miles-before-reaching-supermarket-shelves-in-the-uk/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThey%20send%20to%20China%20because,the%20UK%20or%20in%20Europe.

Fennel Sat 02-Jan-21 19:28:45

What do you mean by 'processed'?
I don't know for sure, but I would think you'll be able to buy fresh herings, mackerel and salmon here and put them straight into your freezer.
We also like sea bass - expensive but very good. Not sure if that's still locally caught.
Also a fish called gurnard, which I haven't seen for ages.

David0205 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:24:58

Certainly prawns and probably other similar shellfish caught in UK are processed in Asia, also much of the whitefish are processed and frozen onboard ships, it unlikely that UK workers are going to be doing that processing either.

kircubbin2000 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:24:44

I bought in bulk from a local supplier but found the fish came from India, China etc despite living beside the sea here.

janeainsworth Sat 02-Jan-21 08:21:26

Since lockdown I’ve been getting fresh fish delivered from a local company. Most of it is caught in British waters (I think).
Then I freeze it myself.
I’ve never had a problem with it not being nice when we get round to eating it.

Sparkling Sat 02-Jan-21 08:11:31

I want yo stock up on frozen fish, but horrified to find it all processed in China.
Tried in vain to find some that isn't. I want UK fish processed here. I feel sorry for our fishermen, this is a total disgrace. Looks like fish is off the menu.