Gransnet forums

Food

Chartwells and the £30 meal pack

(37 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 13-Jan-21 11:24:35

For home schooled free school meals recipients, the government has provided meal packs INSTEAD of giving parents food vouchers.

This is the content of a pack that costs the tax payer £30 and is supposed to last a child 10 days.

This company is LITERALLY taking food from the mouths of children.

nahsma Wed 13-Jan-21 17:03:27

Missfoodlove

Sadly it was due to the voucher scheme being abused that resulted in companies like Compass/Chartwells getting the contract.
It would be better idea if local restaurants were to provide and distribute the food.

Missfoodlove please explain how the voucher scheme was abused?
That aside, the company chosen by the government to administer the voucher scheme is French. They are the same ones who cocked it up in the first lock-down.

FarNorth Wed 13-Jan-21 16:55:37

Some places get it right.

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 13:45:48

EllanVannin

Yes, Urmston, in that respect. The children's welfare department within the local council have been given a free hand with their spending, which is usually backed by Government but I have a feeling it'll all come to a sticky end because of overspending in that area.

I'm not sure what you mean. Councils don't make decisions about free school meals. They are responsible for providing finance for free school meals, but schools (or academy chains) are responsible for what they do with the money. Some outsource and some (mainly bigger comprehensives) have set up companies to do their own catering.

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 13:41:59

Missfoodlove

Sadly it was due to the voucher scheme being abused that resulted in companies like Compass/Chartwells getting the contract.
It would be better idea if local restaurants were to provide and distribute the food.

Do you have evidence of this "abuse"?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Jan-21 13:40:37

EV as you know I’m so glad your family are delighted.
I didn’t mean in any way a personal jibe as you know - I just wanted to illustrate it’s not all gloom and doom out there!
?

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 13:40:36

FarNorth

"delegated decisions to local staff" - what does that mean?

Catering staff who have supplies for (seemingly useless) school meals, being expected to use those for 'lunch packs' instead?

That's what it looks like.

Schools themselves are responsible for providing meals. Many schools, especially small primary schools, outsourced the provision to companies such as Chartwells, especially after all infants were given free school meals.

Companies such as Chartwells employ staff at a local level. There are undoubtedly company guidelines as to what should go in these "boxes", just as there are for all school meals. However, it's the people at local level who make the ultimate decisions.

Catering staff couldn't use the same ingredients they use for cooked meals because they have been told to supply ingredients which require minimum cold storage because some people don't have a fridge or freezer.

They're not allowed to provide take away cooked meals for health and safety reasons.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Jan-21 13:22:50

Yes, Urmston, in that respect. The children's welfare department within the local council have been given a free hand with their spending, which is usually backed by Government but I have a feeling it'll all come to a sticky end because of overspending in that area.

Grandmabatty Wed 13-Jan-21 13:19:11

The alleged misuse of the voucher scheme came from a conservative MP and was widely condemned by the school he mentioned and other locals. The vouchers do not allow for the purchase of alcohol or cigarettes. People who have almost no money are very adept at buying food. Perhaps another example of the government shoving money at friends and Tory donors as the head of chartwell appears to be. It is good that it is being changed but it shouldn't take complaints on social media to do it.

GillT57 Wed 13-Jan-21 13:15:00

Even the most ardent supporter of this government, even those who are of the less tolerant view about free school meals while children are at home, have to acknowledge that we, as taxpayers have been royally ripped off by this company.

Ilovecheese Wed 13-Jan-21 12:50:27

Where did you hear about this misuse Missfoodlove ? I have heard that misuse had been suggested but have never seen actual evidence for it.

eazybee Wed 13-Jan-21 12:49:50

When packed lunches for free meals were delivered to my last school, before every school had to provide hot meals, I remember being amazed at the amount and value of food they provided for the cost, which was the lowest tendered.
I don't know which firm supplied them, but they were very good value, the children liked them, and they never missed a delivery, even in deep snow.

FarNorth Wed 13-Jan-21 12:41:30

"delegated decisions to local staff" - what does that mean?

Catering staff who have supplies for (seemingly useless) school meals, being expected to use those for 'lunch packs' instead?

That's what it looks like.

Missfoodlove Wed 13-Jan-21 12:41:22

FarNorth Wed 13-Jan-21 12:37:31

I hope it doesn't take long to be "addressed".

In my area, parents get money into their bank accounts, for this.

Parsley3 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:29:55

I have just listened to the PM failing to answer a question on this topic from the Leader of the Opposition.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Jan-21 12:29:34

EllanVannin

The most greedy, grasping country I've ever known.

No, come on EV - fair’s fair. It’s not long since you were praising the money being spent on your great granddaughter over the Pennines. Some good things are still being done with taxpayer’s money!
?

EllanVannin Wed 13-Jan-21 12:28:28

Chartwells is a lot different in Texas ! It would be wouldn't it ?

Chardy Wed 13-Jan-21 12:22:21

It was for 10 days

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 12:14:39

MaizieD

MawBe

And while I agree still grossly inadequate the company has clarified that the package was for five days’ worth of lunches, equivalent to £15 of food vouchers rather than £30. It has apologised and Downing Street has ordered an investigation.

The woman who posted the original photo said that it was given to her as being for two weeks (10 days) and has documentary evidence to prove it.

Our school took the catering back in house after a couple of years of Chartwells...

It seems Chartwells delegated decisions about what went into the boxes to local staff. I guess they had different ideas about what should go in the boxes. The ones I think are particularly miserly (and potentially unsafe) are the ones where peppers and carrots have been cut and bags of rice and pasta have been split and bagged in portions.

Mollygo Wed 13-Jan-21 12:14:00

It’s disgraceful that it has to be micromanaged like this.
Yes the Government should have checked it, but listening to complaints about Chartwells and their levels of provision, now would be a good time to collect evidence about ALL their school provisions. We don’t use them for in-school meals and parents can see what’s on our school menu and order from it, but it’s evident that a lot of places do.

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 12:10:36

It was Vicky Ford, the Children's Minister, who responded to the complaints. I hope she's promoted in the next cabinet reshuffle.

kittylester Wed 13-Jan-21 12:05:16

Gavin has just announced that vouchers are to be reinstated from next week. He said he was disgusted at what was there!

Ilovecheese Wed 13-Jan-21 12:00:48

There is no defence for this. It should have been looked at to make sure this company was doing a good job or just ripping off the taxpayer, long before it was revealed on social media. Does this Government never ensure that it is getting a good deal for the money it gives out.
The fact that it is being addressed now, it just not good enough.

MaizieD Wed 13-Jan-21 11:59:40

MawBe

And while I agree still grossly inadequate the company has clarified that the package was for five days’ worth of lunches, equivalent to £15 of food vouchers rather than £30. It has apologised and Downing Street has ordered an investigation.

The woman who posted the original photo said that it was given to her as being for two weeks (10 days) and has documentary evidence to prove it.

Our school took the catering back in house after a couple of years of Chartwells...

growstuff Wed 13-Jan-21 11:59:00

The DfE has issued new guidance today, so schools will be able to give vouchers which parents/guardians can spend them themselves.