Gransnet forums

Food

Magical Mystery Soup

(12 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 27-Jan-21 19:47:06

I was making soup, as I do every week in winter, and scrabbling around in the back of the freezer for extras to add. I freeze lots of excess vegetables and leftovers and never label anything.
I found a strange ball of unidentifiable yellow stuff and popped it into the cauldron along with vegetables and lentils. After an hour of cooking I realised that it was grated cheese and onion, left over from making pasties at Christmas.
It was delicious and creamy and I seem to have invented cheesy soup!

Callistemon Wed 27-Jan-21 19:54:37

No - you haven't invented it watermeadow!

I thought I'd make broccoli and stilton soup as I found a bag of forgotten broccoli and cauliflower at the back of the freezer.
Then I realised I had no Stilton grin but I found a bag of grated cheese in the freezer and used that.

It was very good soup.

crazyH Wed 27-Jan-21 19:56:22

Your “cauldron” sounds yummy, watermeadow. I’m not a spontaneous or imaginative cook. So I admire those who are .....well done !!

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 20:40:10

Sounds lovely watermeadow

Nannylovesshopping Wed 27-Jan-21 20:51:11

When I make soup I always add the rind off the Parmesan, in fact I save them for soups, delish?

Tangerine Wed 27-Jan-21 21:21:13

It sounds delicious. I love homemade soup.

merlotgran Wed 27-Jan-21 21:35:35

Magical Mystery soup is a staple in our house.

Callistemon Wed 27-Jan-21 23:24:09

I found a bag of grated cheese in the freezer and used that.
Ps I think it was Cheddar

Teacheranne Thu 28-Jan-21 01:17:38

I used to make Fisherman’s Soup for my family with bits and bobs I could find in the fridge. I called it that because you had to fish around to see what food you could find - never had any fish in it!

Witzend Fri 29-Jan-21 07:59:38

That sounds yummy! I’m tempted to grate some cheese and onion on purpose.
Your Magical Mystery soup sounds a lot more exciting than my similar - known in the family as ‘dustbin’ soup.
We do often have grated cheese on top though.

Bathsheba Fri 29-Jan-21 08:46:02

We have bitter soup in our house - it has a bit 'o' this and a bit 'o' that in it wink

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 09:55:21

I think February will be Soup Month at the Callistemons as we have lots of bags of last year's veg lurking in the freezer and we both need to lose a few lockdown pounds.
I can never understand how people manage to go on a diet in January - we always seem to have cake, chocolates etc lingering around from Christmas.

And February is a shorter month.