Gransnet forums

Food

Looking for a reliable flapjack recipe

(25 Posts)
Funnygran Fri 29-Jan-21 16:00:27

One of my young grandsons loves homemade flapjack. My DS, his Dad is separated from Mum and goes to see him every fortnight. So every fortnight I send through a batch of flapjack using a recipe I’ve used for years. The last half dozen times it has been a complete disaster, falling to bits and sticking to the tin. I’ve tried leaving it in the tin until cold, taking it out lukewarm, using block margarine instead of soft and recently using jumbo oats but still having no success. My recipe has golden syrup in it which does make it very sticky. The batch I have made up today is too messy to even put into a tin to send! Does anyone have a failsafe recipe or suggest what if anything I’m doing wrong?

Kate54 Fri 29-Jan-21 16:43:57

The good old Bero book one works for me:
4oz butter or margarine
2oz demarara sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
5oz porridge oats
1oz plain flour

Melt fat, sugar and syrup over low heat, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat, add oats and flour. Press into greased 8” shallow square tin.Bake 350 F, gas 4, 180 C (160 fan)15-20 mins until golden brown
Mark into squares (12 ish)leave to cool before removing from tin.

Nannarose Fri 29-Jan-21 16:48:04

I'm very happy to share mine, but I think these 'fail safe' recipes do collapse every so often.
I wonder if your oats have changed? I always use Co-op oats - I find that any other kind don't work as well, and sometimes the Co-op ones seem to change! I find that Jumbo don't absorb the sugar / butter as well.
This is for a double batch - I stir dried fruit into mine, but DH likes them plain.
I warm 180g muscovado sugar with 220g butter & 30ml honey. I stir in 330g oats, and bake at 140 deg.C for about 30 mins. I cut in the tin whilst warm.
We don't like margarine, but when the kids were small, I used block rather than soft marge. I use honey because I have a good supply, but golden syrup works fine.

I have this image of a kitchen witch hovering about and every so often she withdraws her blessing! So when this happens I just stop making whatever-it-is for a few weeks until she decides to be kind to me again!
I would make something different to send, with a jokey note and try the flapjacks again next time. But I do understand how important it seems.

Funnygran Fri 29-Jan-21 16:54:34

Thank you Kate and Nannarose. I will try both those. My recipe doesn’t have flour in it and I think it might be a good addition to help bind it. I switched to jumbo oats as the last bag of smaller ones seemed to have a lot of dust in it. I have to keep sending it - apparently he told his Daddy that Granny makes the best flapjack in the world so I can’t disappoint him!

Septimia Fri 29-Jan-21 17:05:18

My mum, for some reason, never put golden syrup in hers, so I never do. We prefer them without. You do have to make sure that the margerine is well rubbed in and that you don't overcook them (that way they usually still have some 'chew' to them).

10oz oats, 5oz caster sugar and 5oz (block) margerine. Cut while still in the tin, take out when cold.

Be brave, someone, and give it a try !

Funnygran Fri 29-Jan-21 19:11:05

I probably will Septimia! Thanks for your suggestion.

Lollin Fri 29-Jan-21 19:50:09

Septimia does it set in the fridge or do you bake in the oven?

Vickysponge Sat 30-Jan-21 18:48:43

Kate54

The good old Bero book one works for me:
4oz butter or margarine
2oz demarara sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
5oz porridge oats
1oz plain flour

Melt fat, sugar and syrup over low heat, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat, add oats and flour. Press into greased 8” shallow square tin.Bake 350 F, gas 4, 180 C (160 fan)15-20 mins until golden brown
Mark into squares (12 ish)leave to cool before removing from tin.

Thank you for sharing your recipe Kate54 I tried it out today and it worked beautifully.? Very good combination of soft and crunchy. I did have a Bero book but not idea where it went.

Septimia Sat 30-Jan-21 20:38:59

In the oven, Lollin. No idea about the temperature - my default setting is 180 for the fan oven and keep an eye on the flapjacks until they're the right colour!

And apologies for the spelling - margarine, of course.

Grandmabatty Sun 31-Jan-21 11:53:30

Kate thank you for the flapjacks recipe from the bero book. My Bero book is a modern version which is missing such treasures. I've included a photo but oh, the lovely smell!

Kate54 Sun 31-Jan-21 12:47:14

Glad to be of service! I see you’ve got eight big ones there Grandmabatty! My long-departed MiL gave me the Bero book many moons aho. She was a brilliant baker. I am not. I think she got a new one every year. It’s very handy for when you’ve forgotten basic recipes e.g. pancake batter.

Kate54 Sun 31-Jan-21 12:52:25

Attempting to attach a photo.... it was rhe 38th edition and the cover photo looks ‘80s to me. On the last page, we’re invited to write to Joyce Bostock at the Be-Ro home cookery service for ‘free asvice on recipes and all home baking matters’. How maevellous! Where are you now, Joyce?

Kate54 Sun 31-Jan-21 12:57:14

Have just Googled Be-ro (you can tell I have rather too much time on my hands) and the book is now in its 41st edition and can still be ordered. Great news.

Witzend Sun 31-Jan-21 13:06:25

That Bero one looks very similar to one I have in a Mary Berry cookbook published in the early 70s!

I’m tempted to go and make some now - dh loves them and I’m fairly partial myself.

chocolatepudding Sun 31-Jan-21 15:49:10

For a change from the usual flapjack recipe I like to put a layer of mincemeat in the middle and I always line the tin with baking parchment to get the flapjacks out.

Witzend Sun 31-Jan-21 15:49:41

I just made some, with the addition of the end of a small packet of chopped almonds left from Christmas. In the oven now. Dh’s mouth is watering already.
Won’t be much good for my diet (the one I keep meaning to start and somehow never quite do...)

Grandmabatty Sun 31-Jan-21 15:55:11

Kate the photo is a bit deceptive as they aren't massive but nicely big for daughter, son in law and son. I'm going to write the recipe in my little black book for the future. Thanks again.

chelseababy Sun 31-Jan-21 16:49:53

Thank you Funnygran for the recipe. Big hit with other half even though a bit overcooked as got distracted. Made 10.

chelseababy Sun 31-Jan-21 16:51:55

Here they are (one already eaten!)

Nemesia Sun 31-Jan-21 17:17:10

No point asking on GN
We’re all too busy pole dancing, hay baling, home schooling and shifting sacks of hard core for our patio.
Maybe MN?

chelseababy Sun 31-Jan-21 19:54:51

Sorry Kate54 it was your recipe I used!

25Avalon Sun 31-Jan-21 20:03:55

Kate54 time before last flapjacks were a disaster. This time using your Bero recipe success!! Thank you so much.?

Kate54 Sun 31-Jan-21 20:07:36

On crikey, feeling like a Really Useful Person now! I only do really simple recipes and that one really is.

Funnygran Sun 31-Jan-21 21:22:14

Kate54 just found my old BeRo book which is the same edition as yours so found the recipe. I only make it every couple of weeks, if I made it just for us we would eat it too quickly! Although I may do a test run before I need to make the next batch for the grandson.

Kate54 Sun 31-Jan-21 22:49:32

There all the time! Fancy! The only trouble with the book is they don’t have the conversion to fan oven temperature. I can never remember that 180c is 160 fan.