Gransnet forums

Food

Taste from my childhood

(7 Posts)
Secondwind Sun 31-Jan-21 12:54:08

Thank you so much for your comments, Ladies and the second recipe Calendargirl.
I know what you mean about measurements in ounces, too! I have a set of balance scales which came with imperial weights. I got so fed up of converting today’s recipes from grams to ounces, that I finally bought a set of metric weights, so now I’m equipped for both eventualities. smile

JackyB Sun 31-Jan-21 12:27:47

The recipe in that link gives measurements in ounces. That makes it seem so comforting somehow.

Calendargirl Sun 31-Jan-21 12:00:40

Be-Ro recipe.

4oz shortcrust pastry.

Filling.
2oz caster sugar.
2oz ground almonds.
1 small egg.
A little raspberry jam.

Line 12 patty tins with pastry.
Mix almonds and sugar with sufficient egg to make a soft mixture.
Place a little jam in each case, then one tsp almond mixture.
Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Place thin strips of pastry at right angles across tops.
Bake in moderately hot oven, 375 degrees, about 20 minutes.

Jellybaby71011 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:56:49

My mother in law made these and called them maids of honour. I want one now. They are really lovely.

Secondwind Sun 31-Jan-21 11:53:12

* Mamissimo*
Yes, Mamissimo, it’s them!! Thank you so, so much. I shall think of you as I sink my teeth into the first one smile

Mamissimo Sun 31-Jan-21 11:45:56

Enjoy!
madaboutmacarons.com/macaroon-jam-tarts/ ?

Secondwind Sun 31-Jan-21 11:35:43

I wonder whether anyone can help me rediscover a taste from my childhood.
My Gran used to do a lot of baking and one of the things she used to make was something I think she may have called macaroons, but I can’t really remember now. It was a long time ago now! I’ve googled ‘macaroons’ and of course these days it comes up with the colourful sandwich-type ones. They were small tarts with a pastry case filled with something that must have contained ground almonds. There was jam in the bottom and the top had a slight crunch as you bit into them. The batch never used to last long once my brother and I discovered them in the tin! Does anyone have any ideas, please? I’d love to taste them again!