Gransnet forums

Food

Easy no bake, baking

(25 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 04-Feb-21 16:17:06

I have been racking my brains for 'No Bake' baking recipes, and then remembered the range of experts available to me!

I am going to do some cooking with my students BUT don't have access to an oven. I have a microwave and a hob and a fridge.

Does anyone have any ideas? Nothing too complex. Some of them are very lively!

Thank you!

rubysong Thu 04-Feb-21 16:22:47

Melted chocolate with broken up biscuits, marshmallows etc. in it. I think it is called Tiffin.
Also melted marshmallows and rice Krispies in little bun cases. I'm stopping now as I am making myself hungry.

Blondiescot Thu 04-Feb-21 16:34:22

This is a really good site - lots of great 'no bake' ideas on here:
bakeplaysmile.com/easy-no-bake-bars-slices/

Farmor15 Thu 04-Feb-21 16:37:25

I was going to suggest choc biscuit cake, similar to what rubysong has suggested.
But I also have recipes for mug cakes baked in microwave if you’re interested. Very easy as all mixed in mug. If you would like some of these, pm me with your email address as I have them scanned and saved - easiest to email.

ayse Thu 04-Feb-21 16:41:49

Chocolate oats biscuits. The GCs loved making them and there are lots of recipes but they tend to use cup sizes. Mine had peanut butter, oats, maple syrup but no cocoa with this. Instead we had melted dark chocolate on the top.

BBC iPlayer has ‘What’s Cooking Omari’ but only measurements for the oats so I converted another recipe. The GCs chose them instead of chocolate this afternoon. They are very sweet so next time we make them I’ll use less maple syrup (or any subs).

Grandmabatty Thu 04-Feb-21 18:39:38

As you have a hob you could do stir fry dishes and teach knife skills at the same time. Top hats. Marshmallows and chocolate are so easy. Risotto on the hob.

jusnoneed Thu 04-Feb-21 19:21:51

Sponge pudding made in the microwave, jam or syrup, lovely. Quick and easy.

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 19:21:36

MaryDoll's Mars Bar tray bake.

MARS BAR CAKE

I tend to use supermarket own brand, much cheaper.

4 Mars bars, or packet of 5 Lidl/Aldi fake Mars bars
3oz block margarine, (must be the hard stuff)
3oz Coco Pops or Aldi/Lidl copycat.
1 bbs golden syrup.

Chop the the Bars, add marge and syrup. Melt in 30 sec burst in microwave or over hot water. Beat until there are absolutely no lumps.
Add Coco pops and mix well, you made need to add a little more than the recipe, there should be no residue in the bowl.

Put into an oiled baking tray and set in fridge about 15 mins.

Meanwhile melt two bars of supermarket own brand 100g bars of chocolate I use one milk and one plain. Mix together and cover the cake. Back in fridge to set, then cut into squares.

Highly calorific, bad for your health, but a little is enough.
Think about the diet later!

If you Ctrl P with this post, you should be able to print out the recipe.

Grandma11 Fri 05-Feb-21 20:31:19

Simple no-bake Cheese Cake

Base
Half a large pack of Digestive Biscuits, around 250gms, crushed
150gms Butter Melted

Filling
300mls of Double cream
250gms soft Philidephia type Cheese
I large bar (150grms) White cooking Chocolate, melted

Fruit or Chocolate flakes to Decorate, (Raspberries or Strawberries work well)

Mix together the digestive biscuit crumbs and melted Butter, press into a 7inch foil lined Cake tin, and chill to set.
Whisk together the Double Cream and soft Cheese, melt the White chocolate over a pan of hot water until just soft, taking care not to allow it to burn, and gradually fold it into the cream mixture. Pour onto the set Biscuit base and return to the fridge to set.
Decorate as required.

For a boozy Adult treat, add a measure (10mls) of Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur to the filling mixture, and whisk well.

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 20:45:26

I make a similar one, but add raspberry liqueur instead!

MamaCaz Fri 05-Feb-21 20:47:03

Microwave chocolate concrete.
After cooking, it needs to be allowed to cool properly to set really hard, but is just as nice while still soft - I know this because I can usually not wait long enough before I have my first piece ?

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 21:14:39

MamaCaz, do you have a recipe?

GagaJo Fri 05-Feb-21 21:20:44

Some excellent recipes ladies, thank you! The posh kids at my school will be thanking you next weekend.

MamaCaz Fri 05-Feb-21 21:21:07

Marydoll

*MamaCaz*, do you have a recipe?

It's one I found online. I will try to find it and post a link.

MamaCaz Fri 05-Feb-21 21:45:58

I think this is the recipe I used for Chocolate Concrete. The amount of sugar can be adjusted. I use less than the original recipe said.

Cooking it in the microwave rather than the oven was my own idea - I've only ever made this on the spur of the moment, when I've suddenly craved a quick, sweet, chocolatey fix, and speed was important!

200g plain flour
125g granulated sugar (original recipe used 200g)
100g butter/marg
50g cocoa powder

Melt the butter then mix in the other ingredients.
Press the crumbly mixture into a greased microwavable container.

Microwave on medium for approx. 5 or 6 mins.
This is the part that is a bit unpredictable, as all microwaves are different. It might need slightly longer but don't overdo it as you don't want it to start burning in the centre.

Allow it to cool and harden a bit before cutting, and leave longer if you want 'concrete' - if you have the willpower, that is!

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 21:54:04

Thank you !

Missfoodlove Fri 05-Feb-21 22:19:49

“Posh Kids” ?

May7 Fri 05-Feb-21 22:43:47

FUDGE
always a winner but this is my favourite

AFTER EIGHT FUDGE

White chocolate 450g
Carnation Condensed Milk
Peppermint extract
8 After Eights chocolates
Baking parchment
Baking tray

STEP 1
Break the white chocolate into small chunks and place in a non-stick saucepan with the condensed milk. Melt the ingredients gently over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until smooth and silky. (Alternatively melt in the microwave in 10-20 second bursts, stirring frequently).

STEP 2 OF 4

Add a few drops of peppermint to the mixture and stir well, taste the mixture to check its nice and minty. Before you chop the After Eights and stir them in, check that the fudge mixture is not warm. If it is transfer it to a new bowl and leave it to cool, stirring occasionally to stop it setting. Once at room temp, chop the mints and stir through.

STEP 3 OF 4

Line the tin with baking parchment so that it overlaps the sides (this will help you lift the fudge out once it's set). Press the fudge into the tin.

STEP 4 OF 4

Chill the fudge for 1-2 hours or until completely set before cutting. The fudge will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks

Mamissimo Fri 05-Feb-21 22:47:15

Mug cakes, made in a microwave are really fashionable at the moment.....four minutes! ?

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/microwave-mug-cake

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 22:51:33

The fudge is a winner for me!!

Feelingmyage55 Fri 05-Feb-21 23:06:11

For the no bake cheesecake, I often use crushed ginger nuts/snaps instead of digestive biscuits and a little less butter because the ginger nuts are less absorbent.

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 23:14:28

For something not chocolatey:
A pack of ginger nuts, layer in between with whipped cream mixed with fruit eg raspberries, cover and leave overnight until it softens.
I made it like a roll, on its side, without preserved ginger.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/raspberry-ginger-fridge-cake

Spice101 Fri 05-Feb-21 23:21:34

Jaffa Balls

1 packet orange chocolate biscuits - in Australia we would use Tim Tams which I think are the same as Penguins in UK

250 g cream cheese

250 g melted chocolate

Crush biscuits and mix into the cream cheese. Roll into balls. Refrigerate for about 30 mins. Coat with melted chocolate and allow to set.

You could use any chocolate coated biscuit. Makes about 36 balls depending on how big you roll them.

baubles Fri 05-Feb-21 23:56:27

FIFTEENS

15 digestive biscuits
15 marshmallows
15 glacé cherries, cut in half
about 200ml condensed milk
100g desiccated coconut, to coat

STEP 1
Crush the digestive biscuits in a food processor or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, then put them in a large mixing bowl. Chop each marshmallow into 4 pieces and add to the bowl with the cherries and 175ml condensed milk. Mix until the ingredients are well combined and you have a sticky mixture. If it’s too dry, add a little more condensed milk.

STEP 2
Sprinkle most of the coconut over a large piece of cling film (or foil). Tip the mixture onto the coconut and shape into a long sausage, about 30 x 5cm. Sprinkle more coconut over the top of it and wrap the cling film tightly around, twisting the ends together. Leave in the fridge to chill for 4-6 hrs, then cut into 15 sluces.

NotAGran55 Sat 06-Feb-21 07:54:03

Pancakes are always popular with children .