Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian French Onion soup

(11 Posts)
chelseababy Fri 12-Feb-21 15:46:31

Henderson's is a vegan alternative to Worcestershire sauce. Think supermarkets sell it.

Redhead56 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:42:57

You can buy vegan Worcestershire sauce on line tastes just as good as the original.

Nannarose Fri 12-Feb-21 15:28:53

Kallo make 'french onion' stock cubes which have a great depth of flavour. Biona make a veggie version of Worcester sauce which I find very tasty.

farview Fri 12-Feb-21 15:23:58

Thank you everyone...I dont have a laptop and every time I try to get a recipe on my phone...it starts 'playing up '
MaizieD..although I make lots of soups..have never made a French onion one ?

M0nica Fri 12-Feb-21 13:20:17

I just replace beef stock with marmite. You say 'vegetarian' not 'vegan', so fry the onions in butter as usual.

Riverwalk Fri 12-Feb-21 13:07:36

I'm afraid that Worcestershire Sauce is made from anchovies so not vegetarian.

Redhead56 Fri 12-Feb-21 13:00:34

This in one I make but I don’t use measurements. Onions and garlic chopped fry in olive (gently) or any oil you use until golden brown. Mix in spoonful of any flour add a good dash of Worcestershire sauce and mustard salt and pepper spoon of marmite. Vegetable cube or stock pot added to water if you want it darker add a drop or two of gravy browning or soya sauce. Let it simmer on the stove I add very fine bread crumbs or panko to give it some body. I finish off with toasted bread and cheese bubbling on top.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Feb-21 12:53:46

I use Swiss Bouillon powder for the stock. It seems fine as long as the onions are well caramelised.

MaizieD Fri 12-Feb-21 12:51:58

As long as you make it with a vegetable stock and soften the onions in oil, French Onion Soup is vegetarian.

Or am I missing something?

tanith Fri 12-Feb-21 12:47:48

I just googled and found several here is one

foodwithfeeling.com/vegetarian-french-onion-soup/

farview Fri 12-Feb-21 12:43:36

Cant find a recipe...anyone got one please..