Gransnet forums

Food

Fish cakes with no middle bit

(15 Posts)
Daisend1 Wed 17-Feb-21 11:10:01

Any type of fish cake, middle or no middle smothered in Tartare sauce.

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Feb-21 10:59:12

I thought the same as *AuntieFlo".
In fact, I thought that you wanted to make your own fish cakes and add your own sauce.
Personally, I like the gloop!

WW010 Wed 17-Feb-21 10:41:49

Auntieflo

From the post heading, I thought you meant that you had bought fishcakes that were hollow!

As for us, we really like the Melt in the Middle fishcakes from Aldi, and had them for supper last night.

??? that would be better than the gloop in the middle! Not a fan. And yep I could make my own but y’know. Can’t be a** and all that. Fish cakes to me are something I do when we’re short of time. The evening after the GCs have gone home after 2 days of childminding for example ?. Just throw in the oven and eat kind of thing.

Esspee Wed 17-Feb-21 07:18:07

While I have been known to very occasionally buy fish cakes it is surely better to make your own. No recipe needed just add what you fancy.
That’s settled what’s for dinner today.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Feb-21 22:36:47

From the post heading, I thought you meant that you had bought fishcakes that were hollow!

As for us, we really like the Melt in the Middle fishcakes from Aldi, and had them for supper last night.

geekesse Tue 16-Feb-21 20:42:06

Most supermarkets do frozen normal fishcakes. The chiller cabinet ones all tend to be filled with yucky gloop.

Mogsmaw Tue 16-Feb-21 20:08:33

Oh , that link doesn’t seen to work. I got it by googling
“Seafood shack haddock fish cakes”

Ealdemodor Tue 16-Feb-21 20:03:53

I make fish cakes, and use mashed sweet potato, it’s a better colour.

Mogsmaw Tue 16-Feb-21 20:02:48

Here’s a recipe to try. We’ve cooked several recipes by these fabulous, young, enterprise women. I’ve not tried this one, but it’s next on the list.

app.ckbk.com/recipe/seaf16515c01s001ss001r003/haddock-fishcakes

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 19:54:02

Thanks all. Will try Sainsbury’s ?

DanniRae Tue 16-Feb-21 19:25:59

I only like fish cakes with nothing in the centre. So YES Sainsburys have them and I can vouch that they are very nice smile

Hetty58 Tue 16-Feb-21 18:39:30

I second the idea of making your own. You can use more fish, nicer fish - and less potato. There's just no comparison!

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 18:38:44

I’ve just checked briefly, Sainsbury’s and Tesco do.

Missfoodlove Tue 16-Feb-21 18:21:38

Just mash some floury potatoes without butter or milk just some lemon juice, a teaspoon of horseradish and a good dollop of mayonnaise.
Now snip some smoked salmon into tiny bits with some dill, fresh or frozen and stir in.
Mould these into individual rounds and chill in the fridge.
Now dip in a beaten egg and some breadcrumbs and fry 3 minutes either side then place in the oven for 15 mins..
They freeze well, just freeze after you have fried them.

WW010 Tue 16-Feb-21 18:09:53

Seems like a daft question but I can’t find lovely fat fish cakes that don’t have some kind of gunge in the middle. Does anyone know a supermarket that does plain just fish ones??