Gransnet forums

Food

What Popular Food Do You Hate?

(81 Posts)
Blossoming Sat 27-Feb-21 17:02:20

I love just about anything vegetable and vegetable soup is my ‘go to’ comfort food, but I cannot stomach butternut squash under any circumstances. It really surprised me that I hated it the first time I tried a butternut squash soup, and it seems to be everywhere these days!

My sister-in-law tried to fool me by not telling me it was in a vegetable soup she made, but my stomach knew. It came back up faster than it went down. My sister-in-law is a very good cook btw so there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the soup.

Any fellow sufferers?

Alishka Wed 19-May-21 10:25:33

Lots here I positively love and regularly buy and cook, particularly offal,so for me it's cakes, biscuits and yes, even chocolate. Just don't have a sweet tooth.

Franbern Sat 08-May-21 16:28:57

Back in the 1960's, when we were young, hubbie and me bought an Avocado. Had not idea what to do with it. Just made us feel very upmarket. Cut it open, tried to eat it, hated it, gave some to the cat, who turned her nose up at it.
Have never eaten one since.
Probably am missing out on something!!!

JaneJudge Fri 07-May-21 10:27:56

I don't like smoked fish either

JaneJudge Fri 07-May-21 10:26:44

Mussels

henetha Fri 07-May-21 10:25:16

Kentucky fried chicken. Ugh!
Camembert... love it but it stinks the fridge out for days.
Kidneys...
Pizza.. so over-rated.
Pickled peppers.
Pollenta pie.

JoyBloggs Fri 07-May-21 10:20:43

Stilton... just the stink aroma drives me from the table when anyone is eating it!
Coconut
Chilli con carne
Broad beans
Tinned fruit
Anything 'birdy' apart from chicken or turkey. Can't acually claim to hate it as I have never tried it, but just the very thought of eating a pigeon horrifies me! Enjoyed chicken and turkey as a child and somehow they don't come into my bird category having grown up with them.

This is an interesting thread. Three of my favourite things seem to feature on lots of hate-lists... avocados, prawns and Marmite!

sodapop Fri 07-May-21 09:07:04

Grannyrebel I went off tea the last time I was pregnant 44 years ago. Never been able to fancy it since then. smile

Nanawind Fri 07-May-21 09:00:00

Pasta. Yuk.
Anything with currants/sultanas. Yuk.

grannyrebel7 Fri 07-May-21 08:58:50

Prawns, but that's it. I can eat anything else. Can't believe people don't like tea smile

Shropshirelass Fri 07-May-21 08:57:24

Anything processed or ready made. Sugar, carbohydrates - bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.

sodapop Fri 07-May-21 08:53:35

Pasta - can't stand the texture
Mushrooms
Plates of white food.

Greyduster Fri 07-May-21 08:22:25

Black pudding
Cauliflower cheese
In fact, cauliflower anything
Sushi
Overcooked scrambled egg
Aubergine
Haloumi
Monkfish

Susan56 Fri 07-May-21 08:18:20

Marmite
Meat
All fish apart from poached salmon
Egg whites
Cabbage
Drinking chocolate
Spaghetti hoops
Frozen potato products

vampirequeen Fri 07-May-21 08:18:06

Any oily fish
Any white fish that isn't cod or haddock
Any cod or haddock that isn't fried in batter (preferably at the chippie)
Black pudding
Haggis
Kale
Courgettes
Any adulterated Hot Cross Buns i.e. any that deviate from the original fruit buns

eazybee Fri 07-May-21 07:46:35

Pizza
Burgers, any type

BigBertha1 Fri 07-May-21 06:43:07

Mayonnaise
Coleslaw
Marmite
Avocados
Ketchup
Mackerel and most oily fish
Kimchi and all fermented foods
Anything mint flavoured

Amalegra Thu 06-May-21 11:36:01

Chips, pizza, any egg but scrambled ( it’s the slimy texture-yuk!), asparagus and the list goes on a bit, unfortunately, especially as I get older! But the very worst- RASPBERRIES!! I am famous in my family for having always loathed them! My poor children never tasted them when they were small and have always rather held it against me for depriving them!

mrswoo Thu 11-Mar-21 15:35:05

Rhubarb
Goats cheese
Kidneys
Anything with Chipotle in it although I’m not sure I know what it actually is - but I can smell it a mile off and it tastes nasty.

foxie48 Thu 11-Mar-21 15:21:03

I would have said I hate tripe but that would have been before trying my sister's "callos", it was delicious, I had a second helping only then did she tell me the meat was tripe. There are a few foods I would eat to be polite but the only two things I don't think I would manage to eat are rollmop herrings and kidneys.

TwiceAsNice Thu 11-Mar-21 09:45:56

Curry
Yogurt or sour cream ( makes me heave)
Sushi
Runny eggs ( like a firm one )
Spinach
Green beans
Scallops but love all other seafood
Cous cous
Mustard ( why would you )
Tinned spaghetti
Marmite
Honey

Lovetopaint037 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:08:24

Aaah! Just been reminded I hate aniseed.
Otherwise there isn’t much I actually dislike.
However, there are foods I try to avoid for health reasons but have trouble with this so need to lose some weight

gma Thu 11-Mar-21 08:48:33

Cous cous
Quinoa
Sprouts sprouts sprouts in any disguise
Falafels
Poached pears
Black pudding
Animal spare parts!
That’s about it!

Witzend Thu 11-Mar-21 08:12:42

I wouldn’t exactly say ‘hate’, but I really don’t like any goat’s cheese, fennel or dill. Ditto peanuts and peanut butter.

The mere thought of raw fish is repulsive.

I can’t bear cream, or milk unless it’s disguised in something.
Ditto meat fat, unless it’s very crispy streaky bacon.

As for butternut squash, personally I think they’re a PITA to chop/peel, and IMO they’re vastly overrated, taste-wise. But we often get one in our veg box delivery - I microwave it and turn the pulp into a hot and spicy Thai-style soup, which is very tasty.

yggdrasil Thu 11-Mar-21 08:09:05

pizza
or anything else where the cheese has been melted and ruined

ImStillGood Thu 11-Mar-21 06:38:37

I absolutely can't stand alcohol, mostly because of the taste. Fried chicken is also a no for me, my DGC enjoy it dearly but I don't