Gransnet forums

Food

Dairy free diet

(11 Posts)
Amberone Fri 19-Mar-21 15:10:24

It's definitely worth trying different plant based milks - we don't like the taste of oat or hemp milks so don't use them and I won't use soya.

We use coconut and almond milks - almond milk has more protein but also more of a 'taste'. It makes thicker porridge and rice pudding because of the protein. It's also more expensive. We usually mix one of each and keep it in a jug in the fridge. Even different versions of coconut milk taste different - some actually taste of coconut but the one we use just tastes bland so doesn't affect the taste of whatever you are making.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Mar-21 13:53:04

This may be useful

Susan56 Fri 19-Mar-21 13:41:46

Babbitt, my daughter is breastfeeding our grandson so she has had to go dairy free too.As you say there are such a lot of options now.DD thought it would be difficult for her but has found it easy to do.

toscalily Fri 19-Mar-21 13:33:33

It is really worth trying the different alternatives to dairy milk as it is a matter of taste. Some work better than others when included in drinks or cooking, you really have try them yourself as with the other dairy free products, trial and error. For my family members they prefer Almond or Oat milk, soya is more of a pronounced flavour and I must agree when using them although I myself am not allergic to dairy products. Coconut milk works well where it enhances the taste, perhaps in a curry or dessert.

Bibbity Fri 19-Mar-21 13:28:37

We use oat milk. I’m dairy free due to breastfeeding my almost 2 year old who has an allergy.
I’ve had to do the same for the other two.
Due to allergy laws it’s now so easy to filter out foods with dairy in and there’s now a lot more options.

Redhead56 Fri 19-Mar-21 13:14:16

My husband had IBS he was too embarrassed to go the Dr. I suggested using soya milk instead of dairy he has really improved.

Susan56 Fri 19-Mar-21 12:13:09

Our eighteen month old grandson has severe allergies to dairy and eggs amongst other things.

Our daughter has found that there is a great range of vegan and plant based products in most of the supermarkets.

Their favourite alternatives are oat milk and coconut milk both as drinks and in cooking.

Witzend Fri 19-Mar-21 11:34:30

If you can please recommend one, Midgey, I’d like to know.

Chardy Sun 07-Mar-21 19:15:36

I really like the non-dairy milks.

midgey Sun 07-Mar-21 19:14:30

Have you tried digestive enzymes? Easily bought in good health shops. They have made a huge difference to me.

murrec Sun 07-Mar-21 18:58:01

I am thinking of trying a dairy free diet and wondered if you have any tips or recipes that would help me get started. I have suffered with bloating and flatulence for many years. I have tried everything else to help.