Gransnet forums

Food

Weekly shopping do you make menus for the week?

(57 Posts)
Children2 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:53:12

Wondered when you have to do weekly shops do you make menus in advance ?

Oldbat1 Thu 11-Mar-21 17:11:20

No we never plan. We shop once a week and buy things on offer, we buy fresh veggies, some type of fresh fish, fresh chicken and loads of fruit. I’m not really interested in food and would be happy with some type of salad every day. We do have a large store cupboard.

Happygirl79 Thu 11-Mar-21 16:24:22

I live alone but have been following a slimming world diet online with my daughter and my sister. Its all about planning and it has given me structure during these difficult covid times. I love to cook and can eat extremely well and healthily without wasting food with the help of my fridge and freezer. I often use Google to put together recipes by typing in the leftover ingredients in my fridge

grannyqueenie Thu 11-Mar-21 00:49:15

When the children were all at home I tried but could never get on with advance menu planning. It’s been just the 2 of us for years now and I still don’t have a plan. My cupboards, fridge and freezer are kept pretty well stocked and I quite enjoy the challenge of making something tasty with what’s there and nothing’s wasted. It’s been harder with covid as I’ve not been able to nip out for a missing ingredient but not so hard as to drive me to menu planning. That just makes feel hemmed in and restricted and there’s been enough of that this past year!

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Mar-21 00:18:29

No, we don’t plan menus. To ring the changes we now have a weekly delivery of two recipe boxes, with all ingredients included, and we treat ourselves at the weekend to a takeaway from one of our local pubs/restaurants.

For the rest, my chef (aka DH) makes whatever he fancies making, with a bit of input from me. He’s a great cook, and tries a lot of new recipes. The fridge and freezers and allotment are kept well-stocked, and for anything last minute we’ve got the local market.

nanna8 Thu 11-Mar-21 00:02:38

Sometimes I hear or see someone talk about food and then I fancy it so I do that. Tonight is salmon because I heard someone on the radio talk about it. Very suggestible am I.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 23:30:37

bikergran having a plan does not mean having to stick with it. I often reorganise mine as the week progresses, or change items on a whim. However we usually more or less follow it.

I often forget what was planned and have to check in the morning. Usually it is a nice surprise. I like having a varied diet and my recipe cards contain several 100 recipes that I choose our meals from

bikergran Wed 10-Mar-21 20:53:50

No, would hate to think I had to have fish on such n such a day.
Spag bol on another, roast on another.

I just go with the flow, but then there's only myself to please, unless gc or dd are coming to dine.

ayse Wed 10-Mar-21 18:20:35

No as I buy the basics of fruit, veg, fish and meat (for DH) depending what is on offer that week. Staples such as tea etc. go on my shopping list as and when.

Meals are what I fancy cooking within some dietary guidelines for diabetic husband. We quite often have spicy food, pasta with sauce, vegetarian meals, stews depending on the weather. Salad stuff also plays a part on a weekly basis.

At the age of 18 I gradually taught myself how to cook from a selection of mainly Mediterranean cook books and later Indian foodstuffs. I rarely waste food and quite often cook double potions to freeze and eat later.

Now and then I wish I was more adventurous but budgetary constraints usually prevents me from greater experimentation. Occasionally I treat DH to a well matured steak whilst I sup on salmon. He’s not a fish lover so I find I cook for him and if I don’t fancy his meaty meals I use fish as quick food with salad.

We do have homemade boiled fruit cake when I’m in the mood. I don’t think I’ll be menu planning anytime soon.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Mar-21 18:05:38

No I never have done, I look in the cupboard or the fridge on the day about an hour before I m ready to eat and decide on something or other ( I don’t eat meat so there’s no defrosting needed) I don’t have recipes either I just put some ingredients that I like together bibbity bobbity boo
If I made a menu how would you know what you would fancy on the day

BBbevan Wed 10-Mar-21 17:56:14

DH and I eat low carb as much as possible. So yes I do write weekly menus and shop accordingly.

foxie48 Wed 10-Mar-21 17:48:23

I do a weekly online shop but use our excellent butcher for meat and local farm shop for fresh veg. I don't meal plan but know what meat or fish I'm using and have a well stocked larder and freezer so I can ring the changes. I do cook everything from scratch, OH makes our bread and I really hate to waste anything. If I'm short on ideas and need to use something up I'll often pop the ingredients on the internet and look for a suitable menu.

threexnanny Wed 10-Mar-21 17:26:56

Like several others I've become more organised since the first lockdown in order to limit trips to supermarket. But I suspect I will revert back to more erratic shopping when it's safe to do so.

janeainsworth Wed 10-Mar-21 17:20:53

I have a list of recipes posted on the fridge that I fancy for the coming week, some old favourites and some new ones. But I don’t decide till the morning what we’ll actually have that day.
I have a weekly delivery from Morrison’s supplemented with deliveries of fresh fish from a local fishmonger.
The freezer and store cupboards are well stocked and so we can be flexible.
Nothing gets wasted except for the odd few vegetables and they go on the compost heap.

Witzend Wed 10-Mar-21 17:09:23

I plan a lot more than I used to, usually at least 3 days ahead.
I started planning much more at the beginning of the first lockdown, when supermarket shelves were often empty of so many things. We’d never had deliveries and the slots were like gold dust then.

I would go through cupboards, fridge and (small) freezer, working out what I could concoct for the next few days with what I had - I quite enjoyed being inventive and using up all sorts.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 10-Mar-21 17:06:28

Spreadsheet a great idea twinnytwin. I am usually the most disorganised person, but have been learning fast since lockdown, so will start on the spreadsheet poste-haste!

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Mar-21 15:12:39

Yes, but it’s reasonably flexible, the days may be swapped about. We have fresh vegetables with dinner most evenings, a mix of online delivery and farm shop, almost never a pudding.

Madgran77 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:58:45

Yes we do plan the meals before doing the main shop of the week. Sometimes they are changed if we then don't fancy it that day and any ingredients are planned into something else of necessary the following week, or whatever. Since we started doing this our meals are generally more varied as we have got into trying lots of new things.

dogsmother Wed 10-Mar-21 14:56:16

Used to when children were all here....so sensible!
I keep meaning to restart as it saves time effort and cash. Currently using up frozen leftovers anyhow as when I do casseroles or similar it seems I have yet to do a two person portion but a huge family one, that means we eat too much and there’s enough for a second round.

Casdon Wed 10-Mar-21 14:48:25

No, never, I’d die of boredom. I like to think in the morning what do I want tonight, and get it out of the fridge or freezer if necessary. The only exception is fish, which I will cook on the day or day after I go shopping (once a week). I do batch cook, and use fresh vegetables though, so I’ve always got plenty of choice. We don’t waste much at all as I live with a 24 year old son.

Riverwalk Wed 10-Mar-21 14:25:48

No I don't plan ahead - I keep a well-stocked larder, fridge/freezer and decide on the day, or sometimes the night before at the earliest.

It's Wednesday today - I don't know what I'll fancy to eat on Friday!

I do batch-cook so can usually predict that during the week will have a fish pie, chicken traybake, veg curry, whatever, plus anything that I've bought from the deli/M&S on impulse.

Oh, I do love food!

Grannybags Wed 10-Mar-21 14:12:53

Yes, I've done it for years. I started when I was trying to lose weight as it helped knowing what I was going to eat every day. Make most meals from scratch.

Mind you I have to write down what I've decided to cook as I forget. My OH laughs when I look at my list and say "ooh that will be nice" as if it's a complete surprise!

twinnytwin Wed 10-Mar-21 14:09:23

I plan for two weeks in advance. Since this lockdown we've had a weekly supermarket delivery as I'm shielding. I have to reserve a delivery date two weeks ahead so start by putting the essentials into the basket, and then decide on what we're eating that week. My husband is very organised and has made up a spreadsheet with a list of over 30 meals that we love and the week we last ate that particular meal. I therefore can see what we've eaten and when, so we don't have the same things too regularly. We eat very healthily and there's hardly any food wastage at all. I must say that I'm looking forward to wandering round a supermarket getting inspiration for meals, but this works very well at the moment. Tonight it's sea bream.

Amberone Wed 10-Mar-21 14:05:24

Never know what we are going to have a week in advance. I make sure that there are staples in the freezer that we can defrost if we want them - pasta sauces, chilli, curry, fresh pasta, minced meat, stewing steak, fish - to either reheat or use to make whatever we fancy.

Our main shop (about once every three weeks) is almost the same each time, just a few different things added like kippers, or smoked haddock to make kedgeree, or a particular cheese we fancy. Once a week we add in more fresh veg and fruit, bread, and anything else we might want.

Very little gets wasted - lots gets made into meals/sauces/soups and frozen.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 13:50:08

We are lucky to have a Co-op in the village, but its range is limited and is fine for basics, but if your missing ingredient is mushrooms or a spice or herb, ithen it is 5 miles to the supermarket.

For environemental reasons, I try to keep journeys to a minimum, so it is plan amd shop once, while also going to the bank, one or two other shops and having a haircut in one journey.

TerriBull Wed 10-Mar-21 13:43:57

I've planned weekly menus since the lockdown and become more focused on keeping my essentials stocked up in cupboards, fridge and freezer for that purpose. I think I only projected myself forward a few days at a time and was probably far more spontaneous when life was normal and supermarket shopping wasn't the mission it is now.