Gransnet forums

Food

Cooking sausages under an electric grill

(29 Posts)
M0nica Wed 17-Mar-21 18:16:53

This is really an enquiry on DD's behalf. I hope that is allowed.

She has just replaced an all gas cooker with a dual fuel cooker, which means an electric grill. When ever she grills sausages under the grill, the fat spatters, hits the grill elements andwhich then burn it producing lots of smoke. Something the gas grill didn't do.

Does anyone else grill sausages under an electric grill and how do they deal with the clouds of smoke this produces?

timetogo2016 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:10:50

I do mine in the air fryer.
Can`t stand electric grills.

Franbern Sat 20-Mar-21 09:29:20

I think that Elegran has given advice needed. Most electric grills have two levels and for sausages - use the lower one. Then adjust the heat. Do not use on highest heat. Do not forget to prick sausages all over. Grill slowly and carefully, turning them regularly. Use foil to line base of grill pan, to collect fat that drips down. All sausages, even the most expensive, have fat in them, and grilling is a very good way of ensuring that when we eat them, we have little of that fat left behind.

Farmor15 Thu 18-Mar-21 20:11:12

I grew up with grilled sausages but much prefer fried- faster too - only about 10 minutes or so. Oven is very slow and tends to dry them out.

FlexibleFriend Thu 18-Mar-21 20:06:16

I have a gas cooker with an electric grill but have always cooked sausages in the oven so never even knew grilling them was a problem. As a kid sausages were always fried in shallow oil but I never liked them.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 19:30:18

Oven cook. 35 mins at 180°C. Sorted.
?

Elegran Thu 18-Mar-21 19:27:55

I'm with Hetty58 on how to cook them under an electric grill. Lower the grill pan, line it with foil and cook at a lower temperature than she has been doing, giving them a quarter roll-over at intervals. It will take longer, but the insides will be cooked through and they won't spit and go on fire (at least, not until you have left them too long)

I buy thinner ones. They are quicker to cook.

M0nica Thu 18-Mar-21 19:14:33

I have given DD a link to this thread so she can study it. Thank you for all your suggestions.

As a child just after WW2, sausages were one of the most disgusting foods I knew, greasy, grey and flavourless, with skins several millimetres thick that I pealed off and refused to eat. We never had them at home and I mainly got them at school.

As a result I did not eat a sausage for decades. My children liked sausages and chips for supper when children, so I always had some chipolatas in the freezer, but didn't eat them myself.

Then, there was that famous episode of the Food Program om R4 that first talked about BSE in the meat chain, especially items like sausages. I went straight home, chucked the sausages in the freezer out and replaced them with sausages made by my local butcher. They smelled so tasty when I cooked then that I tried one and discovered that a sausage could be edible, more than edible, absolutely delicious - and I have eaten them ever since.

But I am sorry GagaJo, I only eat sausages when I know the provenance. I never eat hotel or cafe sausages unless somewhere on the menu or the wall they say where the sausages come from. For the last 25 years we have lived close to a really good pork farmer who sells his goods through his farm shop. I am never without at least a dozen of 2 kinds of his sausages in the freezer.

Esspee Wed 17-Mar-21 23:32:55

When I lived in the Caribbean the Queen’s photographer Norman Parkinson farmed pigs and sold superb quality pork including sausages.
They came with a warning never to prick them as that allowed the delicious pork juices to run out.
His recommendation was to put them in a casserole dish, pour a bottle of Carib beer over and bake in the oven.
He took supplies back to London and apparently gifted sausages to the Queen.

Callistemon Wed 17-Mar-21 23:31:28

I think that's right, anyway, Ailsa - DH usually cooks if it's sausage and mash!

Ailsa43 Wed 17-Mar-21 23:26:59

Thanks Callistemon...

Callistemon Wed 17-Mar-21 23:16:52

Depends on thickness, of course; I think supermarket sausages have the time and temperature on the packet but ones from the butcher or farm shop may be thicker.
180C for 25 - 30 minutes? But it will vary.
A meat thermometer is useful.

Ailsa43 Wed 17-Mar-21 22:43:29

I'm never sure how long to cook sausages in the oven for.. I prefer the taste of oven cooked sausages , can someone tell me please , and at what reg ?

JaneJudge Wed 17-Mar-21 21:46:03

I do them in the oven too smile

Hetty58 Wed 17-Mar-21 21:42:58

I eat vegan sausages and either I bake them in the oven or I fry them.

It sounds as if the grill is far too hot - and/or the sausages are too close to it!

Ro60 Wed 17-Mar-21 21:19:49

Eazybee you reminded me of a friend - (or maybe you are she)

Back in the 80s took her children to a cafe for a quick lunch.
Looking over at theirs plates she asked why they weren't eating their sausages.
"They're not black" was the reply.

GagaJo Wed 17-Mar-21 20:17:26

So now we are competing to show that we only eat good, homemade, meaty not fatty sausages?

M0nica Wed 17-Mar-21 19:57:03

Calendargirl, that sounds interesting.

Redhead56 Wed 17-Mar-21 19:51:51

I buy good quality high meat content sausages. I did cook them under my electric grill but now I prefer George Foreman grill.

Calendargirl Wed 17-Mar-21 19:45:51

P.S. My sausages are good butchers sausages.

Calendargirl Wed 17-Mar-21 19:45:07

I put some water in the bottom of the grill pan, stops the spitting.

M0nica Wed 17-Mar-21 19:44:46

I think these are butcher's sausages. DD likes her meat (and meaty things) to be good quality.

I suggested oven cooking and also a griddle on the hob, my preferred way of cooking sausages. I think she is just trying to find out if there is any way she can cook them under the grill without having the back and front door open to clear the smoke before she trys alternatives. She does have an air fryer.

Callistemon Wed 17-Mar-21 19:39:31

Not any more.
I cook them in the oven in a baking tin to make sure they're properly cooked through.

kittylester Wed 17-Mar-21 19:35:34

I buy sausages from the butcher and grill them. They are fine and rarely spit. I don't prick them.

MiniMoon Wed 17-Mar-21 19:08:48

I used to grill sausages. They do spit and produce smoke, and occasionally flames shock. These days, since the advent of the air fryer ? I cook sausages in that. Quicker than doing them in the oven.
I'm hungry now!!

eazybee Wed 17-Mar-21 19:08:05

I am famous for my sausages: black on the outside, pink on the inside, so I always cook them in the oven, never under the grill or in the frying pan.