Gransnet forums

Food

Jellies

(12 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 20-Mar-21 20:21:37

I love jellies, but now they are practically tasteless, presumably they are now 'healthier'.
As a little sweet treat for after a main meal, I often make 4/5 from a pint of liquid jelly, but I do not enjoy them as much as I used to.
Any (polite) suggestions?

Grandmabatty Sat 20-Mar-21 20:42:57

Add fruit to it? But not pineapple as it reacts and stops the set. I often put raspberries or blueberries in a raspberry jelly. What about adding evaporated milk when the jelly is half set and whisking it to create a mousse?

MiniMoon Sat 20-Mar-21 21:12:28

I enjoyed Hartley's raspberry jelly crystals.
I'd asked DH to bring quick jel, but he picked up the Hartley's by mistake.
I also don't like Rowntree's jelly. It changed when they tried to make it healthier.

NellG Sat 20-Mar-21 21:14:51

My mum always used to make them with the juice/syrup of tinned fruit, putting the fruit in too as suggested above.

Hetty58 Sat 20-Mar-21 21:23:20

I make my own. It's much nicer and without all the nasty ingredients:

www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/vegan-grape-jelly/

Auntieflo Sat 20-Mar-21 21:36:26

Thank you all.
I didn't know that you could still get jelly crystals, and I may try the agar recipe.

Witzend Sat 20-Mar-21 22:13:59

I have been known to buy those jelly cubes (blackcurrant flavour only) and just eat the whole lot. Rather a waste to make an actual jelly of them IMO.

grandmajet Sat 20-Mar-21 22:29:37

Ooh, lime jelly cubes are lovely, Witzend.

ginny Sat 20-Mar-21 22:57:19

I like to add yogurt to jelly. Melt the jelly cubes or granules with half the amount of water. Allow to cool a little and then whisk in the yogurt. Sometimes add some strawberries or raspberries.

Grandma11 Sat 20-Mar-21 23:13:54

The vitamins in Jelly are good for strengthening Brittle breaking fingernails, a cube a day works wonders, l have tried it!
One of my favourite Jellies is one that I was once served in a little Pub restaurant in North Wales. Mandarin Orange segments set in Orange Jelly, Topped with Grand Marnier Icecream, with a Rosemary flavoured Biscuit, it was lovely, and so refreshing! Sometimes for a change, or if l cannot find any suitable ice cream in the shops, I whisk up a pint of Double cream with a small glass of Bailey's original and two desert spoons of sieved Seville Orange Marmalade, and use that as a topping instead!

Witzend Tue 23-Mar-21 10:26:06

Grandmal1, I admire anyone with the self discipline to buy jelly cubes and eat just one a day!
I never would have, which is why I hardly ever buy them - at least I have just about enough self discipline for that.

Cabbie21 Tue 23-Mar-21 11:09:24

I can't seem to get jelly powders now. They are not available on my online order or in Aldi. My husband used to want one every week ( Sunday evening treat ) but lately he has gone off them and the remains are still in the fridge a week later,