Gransnet forums

Food

Perfect Bolognaise

(81 Posts)
Beswitched Mon 22-Mar-21 19:21:04

What is your perfect bolognaise sauce. The Marcella Hazan recipe is the best one I've discovered so far, but always open to new ideas.

nadateturbe Wed 31-Mar-21 11:52:52

You can still buy tubs Callistemon. I used to buy parmesan and keep it til it looked unedible. But I've noticed recently it says use within one week on the package. I would never use a block wirhin a week.

Callistemon Tue 30-Mar-21 14:19:07

nadateturbe

Off topic a little but just wondering how long folk keep parmesan in the fridge. It usually has a short use by date on the package.

A block, well wrapped, should keep fairly well but, yes, it should freeze.

I have known the tubs of ready grated stuff go mouldy before the use by date! In fact, I'm not even sure if you can still buy it.

nadateturbe Tue 30-Mar-21 14:16:11

Thanks Polarbear2

SuzieHi Tue 30-Mar-21 08:12:32

Try adding a spoonful of branston pickle or other chutney to it and a dash of Worcester sauce. Works well

Polarbear2 Tue 30-Mar-21 08:03:39

nadateturbe

Off topic a little but just wondering how long folk keep parmesan in the fridge. It usually has a short use by date on the package.

I freeze mine. I grate it from fresh, bag it up and use it straight from the freezer. Works for me.

lary66 Tue 30-Mar-21 07:50:17

All the above recipes looks good.

nadateturbe Mon 29-Mar-21 22:46:14

nadateturbe Mon 29-Mar-21 22:43:22

Lucca grin I don't blame you. I would love to but I have to have small portions.

Lucca Mon 29-Mar-21 17:39:09

nadateturbe

Lucca if I make enough for twice I reheat it next time in the oven and its delicious.

If I make enough for two I end up eating one and a half !!

JackyB Mon 29-Mar-21 13:16:11

I've always added as much veg as possible to ragu - cut up fine or grated, to smuggle it past the kids.

Callistemon Sun 28-Mar-21 18:13:16

Yes, it's still simmering nicely, thank you!

M0nica Sun 28-Mar-21 18:11:39

Callistemon Glad I saved your supper!! smile

nadateturbe Sun 28-Mar-21 18:03:18

Lucca if I make enough for twice I reheat it next time in the oven and its delicious.

Callistemon Sun 28-Mar-21 15:53:28

M0nica

Better still, use a slow cooker.

Reading that made me think that I may not have switched on the slow cooker as there are no food smells wafting through!

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Mar-21 15:48:49

Monica definitely, four hours in the slow cooker on Friday, half frozen, the rest with fresh pasta and parmesan.

M0nica Sun 28-Mar-21 14:48:24

Better still, use a slow cooker.

Lucca Sun 28-Mar-21 10:21:57

Fishpieplease

I’ve found that cooking the sauce slowly in the oven,rather on the hob really improves the flavour. The same goes for chilli.

My Italian friend says absolutely not in the oven! 2-3 hours on the hob, but keep an eye on it. She says start with base of diced onion celery carrot, add strips of Parma ham and the mince, when brown add white wine and Passata (no garlic), bay leaves, cloves and black pepper and stock cube.
I did this other day, it was marvellous!

nadateturbe Sun 28-Mar-21 10:11:18

I agree Fishpieplease

Fishpieplease Sat 27-Mar-21 22:32:02

I’ve found that cooking the sauce slowly in the oven,rather on the hob really improves the flavour. The same goes for chilli.

Milliedog Sat 27-Mar-21 20:51:11

I can't eat onions or garlic but fry some asafoetida powder before adding the other ingredients. Gives the flavour without the tummy problem.

Callistemon Wed 24-Mar-21 12:32:10

Witzend

Re celery, an Italian relative of Fil who once served us a delicious tomato sauce (not Bolognaise) with pasta, told me it was essential to add finely chopped celery. He invariably kept some of his sauce in the fridge, ready to go.

Well, if I ate his sauce, I'd spend the rest of the evening scratching as I'd come out in hives!

nadateturbe Wed 24-Mar-21 11:53:10

Beswitched

Wow. So many lovely recipes. Thank you.

Yes, thanks everyone.

Beswitched Wed 24-Mar-21 11:36:48

Wow. So many lovely recipes. Thank you.

Witzend Wed 24-Mar-21 08:27:00

Re celery, an Italian relative of Fil who once served us a delicious tomato sauce (not Bolognaise) with pasta, told me it was essential to add finely chopped celery. He invariably kept some of his sauce in the fridge, ready to go.

DanniRae Wed 24-Mar-21 08:18:40

I add Quorn mince to mine to make it go further - totally undetectable, even to very fussy Mr R!