Gransnet forums

Food

No turkeys for Easter, what has happened?

(29 Posts)
B9exchange Sun 28-Mar-21 23:33:22

I know most people have roast lamb for Easter Sunday lunch, and that is probably more traditional, but we had always had turkey. I have been onto every supermarket website and there isn't a whole roast turkey to be had anywhere! The only ones I could find were fresh ones from speciality butchers costing an incredible amount per kilo.

Has anyone seen one in their local supermarket recently?

Greyduster Fri 02-Apr-21 20:56:54

Ditto our Morrison’s today - crowns, whole fresh turkeys aplenty. We’re having lamb, though.

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Apr-21 20:55:20

Our's must have missed out on that vote as we bought a turkey crown today in Tesco's.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Apr-21 20:53:49

The turkeys realised their mistake when they voted for Christmas and so voted against Easter.

Ailidh Fri 02-Apr-21 16:26:23

We always had chicken, both for Easter and for Christmas - in my olden days chicken was very much a treat meat, a luxury.

Also Mum didn't like turkey, and in those same olden days we ate what Mum made ??

Nonogran Fri 02-Apr-21 15:44:05

I'm just returned from Morrisons. Loads of chilled Turkey crowns on offer. No shortage of fresh whole birds either.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Mar-21 18:52:17

We’ve still got the “just in case” Christmas turkey crown in the freezer as well. It’s a big one so I’m keeping it till we can all get together again. We’ve got a June date pencilled in the diaries, and fingers firmly crossed.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Mar-21 18:47:37

DD1 is going down the full afternoon tea route instead of a lunch. I’ve been entrusted with making the fruit scones and cheese ones.

Jaxjacky Tue 30-Mar-21 18:27:20

We’d normally have the children and GC’s, planned to use the half large turkey breast in the freezer from Christmas. But, as eldest GC is in isolation, called off. So, just us two with pulled pork instead. Turkey or lamb normal here too.

muse Tue 30-Mar-21 18:13:13

Turkey crowns in Sainsbury's

BlueBelle Tue 30-Mar-21 18:00:57

We ve never had anything special for Easter and I ve never heard of having turkey or lamb especially
How can proplr pictures of pretty gambling lambs as Easter symbols etc then eat the poor things

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Mar-21 17:38:39

Lamb of all descriptions on there as well. I’m feeling guilty now, though as it happens I’m spending Easter Sunday with the bubble.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Mar-21 17:23:45

How odd. I’ve just checked with Sainsburys online and there are fresh turkeys, turkey crowns, turkey breast joints, some with stuffing, turkey thighs.... I hadn’t realised they offered different things in different areas.

gulligranny Tue 30-Mar-21 17:20:00

I haven't been able to get any lamb either - my local Tesco is usually overflowing with legs and half-legs by now but zilch. No turkeys either, and not much of anything else in fact.

Summerlove Tue 30-Mar-21 17:16:31

I accidentally bought a giant turkey for Christmas, but we didn’t make it. So we will be having that for Easter.

Our families always had turkey or ham for Easter

anna7 Tue 30-Mar-21 17:08:53

There were plenty today in my local M & S. That's in the Greater Manchester area.

timetogo2016 Tue 30-Mar-21 16:54:40

I saw some frozen ones in Sainsburys.
We prefer beef.

B9exchange Mon 29-Mar-21 11:47:22

I have found one! About 2 kg bigger than I would usually get, from a company called www.Farmdrop.com. Free range bronze turkey, shouldctaste good. Considerably more than a supermarket one would have cost, but heavens, we need to make the most of every celebration now, and we can freeze leftovers for several more meals.

WWM2 How strange, perhaps you could set up a delivery service for the rest of us? ??

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Mar-21 11:27:34

Plenty here is South.

M&S, Ocado, Sainsbury, Waitrose, so not sure what is happening?

Nonogran Mon 29-Mar-21 11:00:53

I have emailed the British Poultry producers for an answer about shortages. If they respond. I'll let you know.
I too was planning on a Turkey roast & have noticed a shortage.

B9exchange Mon 29-Mar-21 10:55:27

That's a possibility EV ???

Thank you for the news about the thigh joints, if I can find a crown somewhere I suppose I could cobble them together! ??

EllanVannin Mon 29-Mar-21 10:51:17

They're probably stuck in the Suez !

Calendargirl Mon 29-Mar-21 10:48:17

I bought a small frozen turkey before Christmas, thinking we might be able to meet up.

Didn’t happen, thought we would get together at Easter.

Will remain in the freezer for the time being.

jusnoneed Mon 29-Mar-21 10:39:49

Maybe because all poultry is under restrictions due to Avian flu?
Not a fan of Turkey, only have a piece at Christmas to keep OH happy. I think a chicken is much tastier.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 29-Mar-21 10:36:17

I usually cook turkey for Easter and have noticed that there are none around this year. I know there are small thigh joints but it's not the same thing. My preference is a crown but there aren't any.
Is there a shortage due to Covid or Brexit?

Redhead56 Mon 29-Mar-21 10:19:15

I don’t celebrate Easter and don’t really do a special meal. However you can usually buy a large turkey thigh and drum stick joint in Morrison’s cost about £4. Tesco also sell a turkey thigh joint they are the size of a chicken perfect for a roast dinner. I buy them all year round as it’s healthier meat. Hope this helps you enjoy your weekend what ever you do.