Gransnet forums

Food

Could you please recommend an 'alternative' milk for use in baking?

(65 Posts)
Candelle Sun 25-Apr-21 00:38:01

I will be making an afternoon tea (sounds grand but won't be!) for a group of friends, one of whom is lactose intolerant.

I would prefer to use my own recipes and substitute the milk within them (yes, they all have milk!) for an oat, soya or almond milk (or similar) but wonder which would be best for not altering the taste and texture too much.

I will probably make scones, chocolate, lemon, and ginger cakes (individual cakes, not a mixture of all three!).

Has anyone baked using these milks? If so, could you please recommend which would be best ?

Do you think they alter the flavour or texture of baking?

Many thanks.

Mildmanneredgran Tue 27-Apr-21 12:49:31

Hi there - I don't want to rain on your parade, and I'm sure you already know this, so forgive me - please don't use soya milk if any of your guests have/have had oestrogen-linked breast cancer. Soya milk has oestrogen in it.

Apart from that it all sounds lovely. Can I come?

Tree71 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:41:33

Have you asked if your friend can tolerate ordinary milk in a cake?

I’m lactose intolerant and cannot eat any normal cheese, even ones that are very low in lactose, but I can tolerate ordinary milk in my tea and milk in a cake. It may be that there’s no issue to resolve at all. But if you need to use lactose free milk, then all the supermarkets sell lactose free cows milk, and you can use it in your own tea/on your cereal when you’ve done with it - you won’t taste the difference. Hubby can’t ?

And those lactase tablets/drops that were suggested are very difficult to get right. They didn’t work for me. I cope very well without.

sandelf Tue 27-Apr-21 12:16:14

Your friend might find life easier if she had some lactase tablets. www.naturesbest.co.uk/probiotics-digestive-aids-fibre/super-strength-lactase-9000/?sku=705-60&src=GOPLA&gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2hYVZiKr2mvzA-Jy4wyqgGDf1j12ulspflc3epsPN7Lo-m21yrTK3RoCeNcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

LynneH Tue 27-Apr-21 12:15:11

My husband is lactose intolerant, so I do this a lot. I prefer almond milk for baking, as it has the right texture, and the flavour enhances cakes. I find soya milk has a tang I don’t like. I would avoid hemp milk for the same reason. But it is a question of taste, and any will do

Jillsewing Tue 27-Apr-21 12:02:42

I use coconut it’s tastes great and gives baking a great texture

halfpint1 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:44:46

I don't use alot of milk and have bought Oat milk on a couple of occasions but find that it doesn't store very well in the fridge
and has 'blown' the next time I go to use it a few days later.
I'm going to try coconut milk next as that comes in smaller cartons. I have used Soya milk but find that it makes things taste 'bland' and 'dull' especially in sauces.

schnackie Tue 27-Apr-21 11:39:49

I would just like to say Candelle that you are a kind and caring person to go to so much trouble for one guest with a extra dietary need! Most people would find an alternative for her and get on with normal baking!! grin

olliebeak Tue 27-Apr-21 11:25:28

Could you perhaps look for somewhere that supplies some 'ready-made Lactose Free Cakes'?

Some of the major supermarkets DO have a small range, but they usually taste 'factory made'.

This is one such firm - www.theheavenlycakecompany.co.uk/

but there are many more - depending on whereabouts you live grin.

JanetOFB Tue 27-Apr-21 11:12:25

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Gangstagranny69 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:10:45

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

runnerbean Tue 27-Apr-21 11:10:22

We use lactose free milk as a substitute for normal milk, no comments or complaints. We find we can eat buffalo mozzarella but not the cows version.

lemsip Tue 27-Apr-21 11:07:36

JanetOFB not very nice.

Moggycuddler Tue 27-Apr-21 11:05:09

Alpro soya milk (not the light version) is great for baking. Not any other brand.

JanetOFB Tue 27-Apr-21 11:05:06

Gangstagranny69 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:04:11

Aepgirl Tue 27-Apr-21 11:02:05

I also have a lactose intolerant friend, and her preferred alternative is soya milk. Don’t forget, you should also use soya fat for baking.

Her sons call these her “unleaded options’!

Riggie Tue 27-Apr-21 11:00:56

pen50

Please don't use coconut milk! I know it's only a small minority of us who don't like coconut, but we REALLY don't like it.

I heartily agree!!!!

Also candelle maybe check with your guests which would be best because almond milk could trigger nut allergies and then some people (like me) should not have much soya (in my case it interferes with some of my medication).

And the barista style milk which is great for hot drinks contains "fillers" to stop it separating, so not sure how they would affect cakes.

Razzy Tue 27-Apr-21 11:00:51

Maybe look at some vegan recipes?

JanetOFB Tue 27-Apr-21 10:58:54

Gangstagranny69 Tue 27-Apr-21 10:58:47

InselAffe Tue 27-Apr-21 10:49:41

We're a vegan family of 7 who all pefer oat milk. Never had a problem using it in baking or cooking.

pen50 Tue 27-Apr-21 10:42:10

Please don't use coconut milk! I know it's only a small minority of us who don't like coconut, but we REALLY don't like it.

crissy Mon 26-Apr-21 22:41:43

You can get lacto free milk, cream, cheese, margarine readily available in supermarkets. My daughter is lactose intolerant and over the years I have made lacto free trifles, quiches, scones etc. and no one seems to know the difference.

Callistemon Mon 26-Apr-21 19:23:40

It depends on the cake, I would think.

Probably oat milk would be good for baking although soya milk is good in sauces and custard. Almond milk would be good in baking as long as no-one has a nut allergy so check first.

I think oat milk is not at all nice in tea or coffee!

Whiff Mon 26-Apr-21 18:58:34

Coconut milk is delicious. I use it everyday to make my porridge. It doesn't taste coconutty. Use it in to make low cal soda bread. Coconut milk is great for sweet or savoury recipes.