Gransnet forums

Food

Tea Talk!

(43 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 12:36:10

Not really food, but close!

I was always far more of a coffee drinker and still need at least 3 cups of fairly strong coffee a.m. to get me going.

Of late, I'm liking tea more and more, it's definitely my favoured after noon drink these days. I think I'm becoming my mother, it always slightly irritated me when the older generation of relatives arrived at ours just before I was about to serve a sit down lunch and declare they were parched and in dire need of a pot of tea, or allegedly they would expire if that wasn't forthcoming. I never got that then, I do now grin

Yesterday we were driving around the glorious Sussex countryside and stopped in the beautiful village of Alfriston, We ordered scones and a pot of tea, I plumped for Darjeeling, loose leaves...........I don't think I'd had it before and what followed was one of those "how did I live without this for so long?" moments.

Tea how do you take yours? do you have a favourite type? or are you an avowed coffee person?

henetha Fri 18-Jun-21 10:39:27

I can't really get going in the morning without a big mug of tea. Any tea really, PG Tips, Yorkshire Tea, whatever. But I only drink 3 or 4 cups a day. I don't take sugar.
For some reason I really struggle with coffee lately. I just don't like it any more. Th only other time this happened was when I was pregnant. confused
I love hot chocolate though.

Witzend Fri 18-Jun-21 10:31:55

I really used to like Earl Grey but find it too ‘scented’ now.

No milk in my tea ever - tea with milk tastes vile to me, which just goes to prove how people’s taste buds vary - mine are evidently weird!

It’s usually good old PG now, with the odd green tea thrown in.

Aveline Fri 18-Jun-21 10:23:14

Earl Grey with a little milk and no sugar for me. Coffee at weekends.
I also like hibiscus tea and peppermint teas. Doesn't matter if they go cold. Both thirst quenching and delicious.

geekesse Fri 18-Jun-21 10:17:33

Lady Grey in the morning, lapsang souchong in the afternoon, rooibus in the evening.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:02:28

I have to have decaf now due to medical issue. Currently Twinings English breakfast in the morning and ditto Earl Grey in the afternoon, with very;little milk Sometimes I have Pukka Night time…at night

Love proper coffee americano no milk.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 08:58:56

aggie

Loose leaf tea is my fav , I use Punjana when I can get it !

I've got some Punjana tea bags arriving today courtesy of Ocado!
I'm very much looking forward to trying it for the first time
Barry's tea is good, definitely as good as Yorkshire tea. I believe that it is an Irish brand

gulligranny Thu 17-Jun-21 22:43:53

Grannyrebel7, - I drink Thompsons Tea as well, in particular I love Punjana. Can't get it in any of my local supermarkets so I buy direct from them, It's a lovely strong blend with a great flavour.

LadyGracie Thu 17-Jun-21 22:36:53

Strong black loose leaf tea all day long.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 22:24:56

grannyrebel7 - Darjeeling can get bitter if you let it sit. It’s nicest very light as then it’s quite fragrant.
I don’t know what others think but it’s definitely not a “brew” in my eyes.

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Jun-21 19:51:33

Clipper Mints Infusion is the only tea I drink (first thing in the morning).
I don’t like black leaf, green, white or fruit teas.

varian Thu 17-Jun-21 19:41:21

I love tea. Builders tea, made with loose leaves in a teapot. Teabags dangled in hot water are a very poor substitute.

varian Thu 17-Jun-21 19:39:39

I cannot stand coffee. The stench of it makes me nauseous. I have to skirt round these coffee shops which you can smell from a long distance. I think the smell of coffee should never be imposed on the general public. It should be "consenting adults only" and coffee shops should have double doors with an airlock between to avoid imposing the smell on those who find it revolting.

kittylester Thu 17-Jun-21 19:33:00

Never been able stomach coffee but live the smell. I wish I liked to drink it.

PG Tips, loose leaf in a blue 'brown Betty's teapot. Drunk from a white bone china mug with one and a half sugars and semi skimmed milk. Lots of times a day.

annodomini Thu 17-Jun-21 19:16:38

My breakfast beverage is loose leaf Ceylon tea without milk or sugar, and not too strong. My preferred brand is Taylor's of Harrogate but if I can't get that, Waitrose's own brand is good enough. For the rest of the day, I mostly drink red bush as caffeine makes me jumpy. I went right off coffee over fifty years ago when I discovered that it was making me feel queasy.

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 18:17:01

Alfriston was particularly beautiful yesterday Grandmafrench, just as you describe.

Grandmafrench Thu 17-Jun-21 17:40:55

Oh, Terribull know just what you mean. Loose leaved tea, wonderful flavours, bone china cup, with milk, or black, or with lemon and wonderful scones or fancy cakes.

And you chose such a tea-related place. Alfriston's my old stamping ground. Have friends there who sold lovely tea canisters, strainers and the like in their first Kitchen shop, set in amazing countryside not far from where the Yorkshire Ouse comes out to the sea at Exceat, rolling Downs, soaring cliffs and curlews and sheep. English countryside at its best - and only a stone's throw from the place where Banoffee Pie was invented!
I'm now filled with nostalgia.

My own tea pleasure is Earl Grey, every day, but we've stocks of Darjeeling, Lapsang, English Breakfast and pure Ceylon. The routine is broken for morning coffee, freshly ground, and maybe a noisette after lunch.
The French now enjoy tea - wonder why that still surprises me?

grannyrebel7 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:16:14

Thompson's Tea - it's my fave atm. It's an Irish blend, quite strong but tasty. I only discovered it by accident during lockdown when I couldn't get anything else. Never had Darjeeling, but will try it now. Also like Sainsburys Red Label tea.

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 17:04:17

After several attempts to try to like it I gave up on coffee.

Earl Grey tea all day long, weak, black no sugar.

I do like Lapsang Souchong but don't have it very often.

DP drinks PG tips

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:49:27

Spelling correction *souchong

moggie57 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:40:16

me too .tap water is the best . i gone off coffee and tea tastes yukky ,they done something to pg tips .

AGAA4 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:31:36

My first and last drink of the day is a cup of Yorkshire Tea.

OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Jun-21 16:25:25

I like black earl grey in the afternoon

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 16:22:48

NotSpaghetti

Gosh! What an idiot I sound! shock
Apologies! Just don’t get me started on tea.

Not at all! This is Tea Talk, so talk away grin

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:13:27

Gosh! What an idiot I sound! shock
Apologies! Just don’t get me started on tea.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:10:38

I like to have lots of variety as I choose teas each time I’m making a pot on a whim/fancy.
All but a Lapsang Souchon in our home is loose tea.

Currently we have lots of herb/green/white teas and these black ones:

Irish Breakfast
English Breakfast
Darjeeling
Royal Blend
Afternoon
Yunan
Earl Grey
A variety of Broken Orange Pekoe
Fortmason
Peach Tea
Spiced Tea
Black Vanilla
and a sample of Rose & Bergamot

Because I like to mix and match we mostly have small quantities of each with the exception of the two breakfasts and the afternoon blend. I feel so lucky to have this amazing luxury of tea choice and it brings me a lot of pleasure. My family often bring be unusual teas as gifts as well so that’s nice.
I’m conscious of the ethical issues around tea and have been changing where I buy it if I can’t get clear information from the “manufacturer” or tea house.