Gransnet forums

Food

Lasagne and what ?

(105 Posts)
Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 07:49:16

I’m making Mary Berry’s sausagemeat lasagne (again !) for a couple of friends tonight. Any interesting thoughts about what to serve with it ? ( Garlic bread disagrees strongly with me)

Lucca Mon 21-Jun-21 03:54:27

Hi Yorki….all done two nights ago !
Don’t mean to be rude but…read the thread !

Yorki Mon 21-Jun-21 01:47:49

Lasagne, chips n peas. If you don't want garlic bread that's fair enough. Or lasagne and salad. Or new potatoes. There's loads of stuff you can serve it with.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Jun-21 10:39:41

Harmonypuss

No lasagne for me thanks, can't stand pasta and Bechtel sauce, so I'm glad I'm not one of your guests.

I should imagine that the feeling is mutual!

Lucca Sun 20-Jun-21 09:00:47

kittylester

Glad it went well lucca, that recipe is on next week's menu plan!!

I use fresh lasagne by the way (instead of soaking dried stuff as recipe would suggest)
I just put any old sugar in the tomato sauce too!

kittylester Sun 20-Jun-21 08:55:48

Glad it went well lucca, that recipe is on next week's menu plan!!

Lucca Sun 20-Jun-21 08:52:34

Harmonypuss

No lasagne for me thanks, can't stand pasta and Bechtel sauce, so I'm glad I'm not one of your guests.

A) there was no bechamel sauce and
B). More puss than harmony in that comment.

Harmonypuss Sun 20-Jun-21 05:34:41

JaneJudge Sat 19-Jun-21 22:55:08

smile I'm glad it has gone well but yes everything is odd isn't it? xx

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 22:50:20

First time anyone apart from bubble family has been in my house since before pandemic, very nice but odd !

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 22:49:26

It was all very good ….

grannybuy Sat 19-Jun-21 19:22:09

Grilled veg - onion, courgette, peppers, aubergine and mushrooms.

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 18:46:11

Lasagne with garlic bread this evening.

Thanks, M&S and Waitrose!
oven is beeping.

Riggie Sat 19-Jun-21 18:44:53

A pub we once went to served lasagne with chips and bread and butter (just regular white sliced).
Dh had some sort of stir fry containing rice, which also came with chips and bread and butter.
They clearly liked their carbs!!

kittylester Sat 19-Jun-21 18:36:44

Not really related but Dh had a nurse whose Italian mum made lasagne with sliced hard boiled eggs topping each layer apart from the top layer. She made us one once - it was very odd!! Xx

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 17:58:54

gulligranny

This Mary Berry Sausagemeat Lasagne is my go-to recipe, it's not at all fatty and the sauce contains spinach and mushrooms,i it's absolutely delicious. It definitely needs crisp salad and olive ciabatta bread as accompaniments, along with a glass (or two) of Montepulciano ..

It freezes very well too.

Glad you agree !

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 17:58:28

And

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 17:58:02

?

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 17:55:51

SiobhanSharpe

The original recipe is hardly overloaded with carbs -- about 75 grams of uncooked pasta for six people! (I'd use quite a bit more.)
And I'm with a PP in that I would use Italian sausages, they are meatier but less fatty than English sausagemeat and very tasty.
You can get fennel or chili flavoured ones in good delis or Italian shops in the UK .
Pasta dressed with a sausage and tomato sauce is indeed authentically Italian. And Nigel Slater does a gorgeous pasta sauce made with crumbled sausage, Dijon mustard and crème fraîche.
I'd serve a good salad with the lasagne but follow it with bread, cheeses and fresh fruit.

75g of cheese, not pasta. It’s 6 sheets of lasagne.

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 17:54:13

JaneJudge

I have just come on here to post something spiteful about lasagne wink

??

BusterTank Sat 19-Jun-21 17:50:19

Feta cheese salad and cheesey bread

CanadianGran Sat 19-Jun-21 17:37:15

I'm curious. I've never heard of lasagna being served with chips, and think perhaps there is a language difference. When I think of chips they come in a bag, as a snack. Or do you mean chips as in french fries?

I would serve a salad, most likely Caesar salad.

SiobhanSharpe Sat 19-Jun-21 17:31:09

The original recipe is hardly overloaded with carbs -- about 75 grams of uncooked pasta for six people! (I'd use quite a bit more.)
And I'm with a PP in that I would use Italian sausages, they are meatier but less fatty than English sausagemeat and very tasty.
You can get fennel or chili flavoured ones in good delis or Italian shops in the UK .
Pasta dressed with a sausage and tomato sauce is indeed authentically Italian. And Nigel Slater does a gorgeous pasta sauce made with crumbled sausage, Dijon mustard and crème fraîche.
I'd serve a good salad with the lasagne but follow it with bread, cheeses and fresh fruit.

Stella14 Sat 19-Jun-21 17:12:36

Salad or broccoli

JaneJudge Sat 19-Jun-21 17:08:13

I have just come on here to post something spiteful about lasagne wink

Juicylucy Sat 19-Jun-21 16:54:07

Corn on the cob with nice tossed salad