Gransnet forums

Food

Recommendations for chocolate for the tops of 48 fairy cakes?

(14 Posts)
Witzend Mon 12-Jul-21 12:31:59

I’ve used butter icing before, and a brand of ‘couverture’ chocolate (can’t remember the name) but if anyone knows which is best, I’d be v grateful.
(I always put a Smartie on top, and hope there will be plenty left over for me ?)

Needless to say, they are for a little Gdc’s birthday party, which is going to be in the park, with lots of guests’ siblings necessarily coming along, hence the numbers.

J52 Mon 12-Jul-21 13:09:42

I use the cheapest supermarket chocolate, melt it and then mix it with icing sugar. I don’t weigh the ingredients, but do it by eye and texture. If it’s too stiff add a little warm water. I then fill an icing bag and pipe a swirl on top of the cake, sprinkles etc on top of that.

J52 Mon 12-Jul-21 13:28:53

Ohhh! I missed out making the butter icing bit, sorry. Melted chocolate mixed with butter icing, not just icing sugar!
Listening to the news while typing doesn’t work!

ginny Mon 12-Jul-21 14:03:38

Cocoa mixed with tiny bit of hot water then added to the buttercream.

muse Mon 12-Jul-21 14:42:53

60g cocoa 30g butter 250g icing sugar

Melt butter, stir in cocoa for 1 min. Sift icing sugar in. Stir and add a little milk to thickness needed.

3dognight Mon 12-Jul-21 14:49:25

You could make a ganache?
Any old chocolate, I use Aldi, melted with double cream in a bowl over a simmering pan of water.
It’s making me want to make a chocolate cake!

Auntieflo Mon 12-Jul-21 15:41:30

Many years ago when making cakes for DS2 party, I just put Smarties on top of ordinary icing.
The edges of the Smarties went frilly and looked very pretty.

DS2 is now 45 ?

Callistemon Mon 12-Jul-21 16:00:24

I might think of making glacé icing with cocoa and just a couple of teaspoons of butter mixed in - it might be less messy than butter icing especially if it's a warm day

MiniMoon Mon 12-Jul-21 17:49:40

I made chocolate butter icing, topped off with Cadbury's twirl bites on cupcakes I made recently. They were a huge hit with the grandchildren.

Calendargirl Mon 12-Jul-21 18:34:05

Any type of chocolate or chocolate icing would suit me.

Callistemon Mon 12-Jul-21 19:30:07

We could sample all the different types of iced cakes, Witzend, and let you know which we think would be best.

JackyB Mon 12-Jul-21 19:51:34

I am addicted to the Cupcake Jemma channel on Youtube. She does a chocolate butter icing.

Here are the ingredients

Recipe -
300g unsalted butter, soft
540g icing sugar, sifted
4 tbsp milk
180g dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly

youtu.be/_-5NNytRLC0

There will be others on Youtube, but these are guaranteed to work.

Teacheranne Mon 12-Jul-21 22:06:24

For young children I don’t use butter cream or soft icing - too messy! I simply melt chocolate and put it on the cupcakes with a bit of decoration. The chocolate goes hard again and usually the children bite it off first without any mess.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 12-Jul-21 22:45:59

My granddaughter loves the little chocolate hearts I put on top of little and big cakes. I buy then in Waitrose. I have always made a Dan Leppard fudge icing. Plain chocolate with 70% cocoa solids, golden syrup, butter and icing sugar. I always make a large stash and put it in small containers in the freezer.