Gransnet forums

Food

Oh what to eat in this hot weather

(100 Posts)
Gingster Wed 21-Jul-21 08:44:50

Any ideas on what to have for lunch or dinner.
We’re fed up with salads
Too hot to cook much . Something light and tasty.

What’s everyone having today?

Thanks for your menus!

TillyTrotter Tue 27-Jul-21 13:29:02

Pan-fried garlic mushrooms on ciabatta bread. Seasoned with salt, black pepper and fresh finely chopped parsley.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:47:52

Mad, but I'm cooking fish and chips!!

Babs758 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:46:10

Courgette soup served like a vichyssoise. Courgettes braised in butter with a little cumin and flat leaf parsley, then add chicken stock and grated raw potato. Salt to taste. Simmer until courgette just soft. Cool. Whizz in blender. When cold stir in a bit of cream and snip some chives over the top. I use up large courgettes this way!

Aldom Sun 25-Jul-21 14:24:37

nadateturbe

Some interesting ideas here but the most interesting comment was that Lucca was playing tennis in this heat!

That struck a chord with me too! Phew!!!!

nadateturbe Sun 25-Jul-21 03:34:24

Some interesting ideas here but the most interesting comment was that Lucca was playing tennis in this heat!

Esspee Fri 23-Jul-21 18:31:58

It is so great to read the huge variety of meals we now prepare in this country. So different to our mother's day.

Gabrielle56 Fri 23-Jul-21 17:24:58

Had thin sliced pork fillet stir fried in Thai sauce(pouch) with sliced red pepper baby corn cobs and shaved carrots with medium egg noodle . took all of 10MINS. ,de-LISH!!!!

effalump Fri 23-Jul-21 16:34:19

Probably an apple with hummous. I tend to lose my appetite in really hot weather.

barbramalo Fri 23-Jul-21 12:27:31

And I can only drink different smoothies and a lot of water.

danielasha Fri 23-Jul-21 12:25:56

Light vegetable salads seem to be appropriate to me

Witzend Fri 23-Jul-21 10:12:46

Summerfly, that cheese on toast sounds yum!

Tonight we’ll be having cold chicken (I’ll be stripping it later) but to counter the rather dry boringness, on the side a good dollop of mayonnaise mixed with curry powder, a little mango chutney and lemon juice.
Since I have no actual salad leaves and won’t be going shopping, I shall make a coleslaw type thing with white cabbage, onion, celery, carrot and apple.

Plus baked potatoes (14 minutes in the combi microwave).

Summerfly Fri 23-Jul-21 09:43:38

I make a version of cheese on toast.
Cottage cheese, as much grated Red Leicester as you like and red onion chopped or thinly sliced. Mix it all together and add pepper to taste. Spread a generous amount onto lightly toasted slices of bread and place a sliced tomato on top. Place under the grill until it’s golden brown. I serve mine with a mixed salad. Absolutely delicious ?

vegansrock Fri 23-Jul-21 07:16:44

Meze type meals are always good - hummus, pitta bread, tomato salad, felafels, olives, couscous, carrot and cucumber sticks, a nice glass of rosé. Curry is also a winner - can make in advance and it improves.

ElderlyPerson Fri 23-Jul-21 00:59:49

I find Tilda plain microwaveable basmati rice, served with optionally a dash of Alpro unsweetened soya drink to moisten it a bit, topped with a sachet of Ella's kitchen 4 month plus baby food purée, Mangoes, Pears and Papaya variety delicious and filling.

misty34 Thu 22-Jul-21 21:59:57

A lot of quiche and new potatoes mentioned and that is exactly what we had tonight.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Jul-21 21:54:01

I eat the same summer and winter, mostly stir fries in all sorts of flavours with lots of bits added, curry and rice and home made roti , jacket potatoes (don’t eat meat or fish) only difference is the allotment strawberries or raspberries afterwards

Simple food simple gal

Antonia Thu 22-Jul-21 21:46:54

Sorry, but salad again here. Tonight was smoked salmon and avocado salad, with home made focaccia bread. Followed by a few raspberries picked from our allotment, with vanilla ice cream. and then I wonder why I'm putting weight on

annsixty Thu 22-Jul-21 20:23:15

I haven’t read this thread at all, in fact only just noticed it.
For my evening meal I have just had a bowl of cereal.
I can’t be bothered to prepare anything and I really don’t want to eat but didn’t want to go to bed without anything.
Although it Is only 8;20 I shall be going up very soon.
This heat has totally enervated me.

kittylester Thu 22-Jul-21 20:15:53

Chilli lamb chops from Nigellissimo!

Gingster Thu 22-Jul-21 19:40:55

Such lovely ideas here. I’m going to write them down so that I remember them.
Thanks everyone ?

Lizbethann55 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:15:01

I made a huge jug of gazpacho a couple of days ago and put it in the fridge. It has been absolutely lovely and will definitely make it again. Though it succeeds or fails on the quality and taste of the tomatoes used.

Shropshirelass Thu 22-Jul-21 17:58:48

I eat low carb, have a good breakfast and only coffee and water until teatime, then I cook a meal, veg only takes 5 minutes. Maybe steak, mushrooms and eggs with a bit of salad and avocado tonight though.

MaggsMcG Thu 22-Jul-21 16:33:34

Minted Lamb Grill potatoes and green beans from my garden. I grew them all myself this year I'm quite proud of myself. Well not the Lamb grill obviously.

Mini Magnums YES how many??

Riverwalk Thu 22-Jul-21 16:14:59

Esspee

Vegetable curry, spicy onions, mango chilli salad, coriander nan and raita. (everything home made except the nan.)
Having lived in the tropics I know a hot meal really works.

You're so right Esspee. Yesterday I made chilli con carne in the slow cooker and had one portion in the evening and froze two others - I've just taken one of those out of the freezer for later.

Had planned to have smoked salmon salad but just don't fancy that - I need something hot & spicy! I'll have the chilli with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheddar, a generous handful of chopped coriander and avocado. smile

For tomorrow I'll have spicy dhal which I made a couple of weeks ago and froze two portions.

Greenfinch Thu 22-Jul-21 16:13:52

Lettuce and onion soup.