Gransnet forums

Food

Soggy quiches in restaurants

(13 Posts)
Beswitched Tue 27-Jul-21 21:18:44

Why do so many restaurants nowadays serve up soggy eggy quiches? It is not difficult to make a nice one, but it is rare to get one anywhere that isn't really unpleasant. I got one in a hotel last week that consisted of smoked ham and no cheese that I could discern.

cornishpatsy Tue 27-Jul-21 21:26:29

I agree, they are often watery, I think it is scrimping on the number of eggs or they were pre frozen,

TillyTrotter Tue 27-Jul-21 21:35:27

I chose quiche from the menu in a cafe and got frittata.
I was told “frittata is just a crustless quiche”.
It wasn’t a good example of either - it was sloppy and more like an omelette.

dustyangel Tue 27-Jul-21 21:47:05

One of the best quiches I can get here is from the take away, or eat at the counter stand of a large local do-it-yourself chain.

MiniMoon Tue 27-Jul-21 23:00:16

I'm totally in agreement about the quality of restaurant/cafè quiches. The last one I ordered was at a garden centre with a very good restaurant. It was watery and had a soggy bottom.
I made a lovely one for lunch today. Smoked bacon and leek quiche with parmesan cheese pastry. They are easy to make.
I don't think that I will order another when eating out.

Redhead56 Wed 28-Jul-21 08:49:38

Pies pasties and quiches go soggy because they are often microwaved in cafes and restaurants.

aggie Wed 28-Jul-21 09:48:49

Why order a Quiche if you know they aren’t nice ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:51:46

Send it back. I would/do. It is the only way they learn.

Lillie Wed 28-Jul-21 10:01:04

i agree with redhead that they are often microwaved into a sloppy mess
in the slimming world book there is a quiche without pastry like tillytrotter mentioned but is it really a quiche then

MaizieD Wed 28-Jul-21 10:14:33

I got one in a hotel last week that consisted of smoked ham and no cheese that I could discern.

You do know that cheese isn't an essential ingredient of a quiche?

Very few commercially produced quiches are good. But having said that, I have never mastered the art of getting a crisp bottom in a quiche... mine are delicious but soggy bottoms every time..

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 28-Jul-21 10:18:10

If you know they’re awful, don’t order it. Simple. But if you order a quiche by accident and it’s horrible, tell them!

ElaineI Wed 28-Jul-21 22:16:29

I wouldn't order a quiche in a cafe as I can make a nice one. I also have an Australian recipe for a crustless quiche which is really nice and definitely not a frittata though I like them too.

lyonss Thu 29-Jul-21 10:37:35

I prefer to cook similar dishes at home. Strange, but lately I have very rarely found something tasty.