Gransnet forums

Food

Freezing apples

(27 Posts)
tanith Tue 31-Aug-21 14:32:01

My neighbour has started bringing me this years apples and last year I tried freezing some that I’d dipped in lemon juice, they were very soggy when I defrosted them but ok to use in crumbles etc. Just wonder if it would be better cooking them first then freezing in portions, they aren’t perfect apples so no good for storing as they are.

So what do you do with your surplus apples?

Candelle Mon 06-Sep-21 19:59:14

Many thanks, Nanarose, your information is just what I needed.

I don't have a steam oven but will certainly give bottled apples a try - I will use my deep preserving pan which looks to be ideal.

It was kind of you to add the information.

Thank you again.

Candelle

Nannarose Mon 06-Sep-21 11:48:44

I bottle apples, and other fruit including tomatoes, and I bottle soup.
allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/189/bottling-basics.aspx

The Kilner site is useful: www.kilnerjar.co.uk/how-to-guides

I used to have an old 'Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food' booklet that listed bottling times, but I lost it, and they don't do it any more.

I have to say that bottling is much easier if you use the oven - and easiest of all if you use a steam oven. I know that few folk have them, but they are wonderful! My steam oven is a Miele and their booklet lists bottling times. I can do a few jars as I prepare a meal, and sterilise in the steam oven alongside the veg, rice, fish or whatever is cooking.

I cook up pears as if for poaching, and bottle them in the wine / spices that I would use - instant pudding!

I roast the tomatoes from my raised bed, partly for flavour and to ensure they are sterile, and I then bottle them in oil, usually with a few basil leaves. This may sound extravagant, but the oil is a lovely basis for cooking soups & stews through the winter.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 10:24:43

Sorry, no, by a slow oven I meant a conventional oven on a low setting, probably 50C - 100C.
DH said it was not an economical thing to do but they were very good to eat. I did several trays full at once.

Perhaps doing them in the airing cupboard as Seabreeze suggests would be better.

Teacheranne Mon 06-Sep-21 00:33:27

Callistemon, how do you make dried apple rings in a slow cooker? Do you just peel, core and cut into rings then place in slow cooker? One layer at a time or several layers?

I’d like to give it a go.

Callistemon Sun 05-Sep-21 22:59:29

Seabreeze

Peel cook and freeze. Also some cut into rings and dried on bamboo sticks in airing cupboard, ideal for a snack on the go.

I've dried apple rings in a slow oven, they're very good and keep for ages just in a large glass jar.

Mattsmum2 Sun 05-Sep-21 22:50:50

This was my Sunday. I cook, cool and freeze in portions. Made a blackberry and apple crumble today too .

SpringyChicken Sun 05-Sep-21 22:45:34

Tanith, the raw apple oxidises when exposed to the air - I've always assumed that cooking reverses the reaction but it's probably more complicated than that!

Shelflife Sun 05-Sep-21 19:13:02

Stew and freeze everytime!

Candelle Sun 05-Sep-21 19:11:21

Thanks, Seabreeze I should have mentioned that I would love to pop some in our freezer but unfortunately Mr C has it full of unidentifiable lumps of 'stuff'. Incidentally, this is a huge, tall freezer but still, no room for any apples.

I will
a. have to have a word and
b. have a clear out (of said 'stuff' not Mr C, although it is tempting...) finishing with
c. stamp my foot regarding further usage!

I was hoping to try the bottling method mentioned above if anyone knows the method........

Seabreeze Sun 05-Sep-21 18:53:59

Peel cook and freeze. Also some cut into rings and dried on bamboo sticks in airing cupboard, ideal for a snack on the go.

Candelle Sun 05-Sep-21 12:39:55

grannysyb if you or anyone else has a mo, could you please outline your bottling of apples method?

I do make jam, so the boiling jam seals the jam jars (the middle circle on lids pops back in, demonstrating that there is an airtight seal).

What do you do with apples to be bottled? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

henetha Sun 05-Sep-21 10:55:17

I've only ever frozen stewed apples, which is fine. I didn't realise you could freeze them otherwise. It's too late for me now anyway as my apple tree was chopped down.
(deliberately, it became diseased).

Mapleleaf Sun 05-Sep-21 10:51:28

I peel them, chop into chunks and lightly stew first. Once cool I bag them up, date them and freeze. They're great for crumbles and puddings. ?

Forsythia Thu 02-Sep-21 21:16:57

I always cook them lightly to reduce the bulk and freeze for apple pies and crumbles. Otherwise I combine with other fruit for jams and chutneys.

Coolgran65 Tue 31-Aug-21 19:28:23

I have two apple trees, one red and one green. They are stewed without sugar and frozen using takeaway plastic containers. If you put them into a freezer bag in the container you can, after freezing, take the bag out and they’re the perfect shape for stacking. Sugar can be added later if using for a sweet dish.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Aug-21 19:22:48

I cook first then freeze same with pears

grannysyb Tue 31-Aug-21 19:05:07

I've run out of freezer space, so I have bottled them.

tanith Tue 31-Aug-21 16:22:00

Thanks everyone I’ve lightly cooked them in chunks cooling to go in the freezer now although when I was peeling at least half were perfectly unbruised and maggot free so I’ll store them in a cardboard box in the garage for a short while using as I need them.
I wonder why the brown disappears when they cooked though. Probably some weird scientific reason way above my pay grade ?

Namsnanny Tue 31-Aug-21 15:00:28

Cooked first then frozen. It takes up less room overall.

ginny Tue 31-Aug-21 14:55:44

I prepare mine ready for crumbles, pies, sponges etc. Put in freezer bags, freeze and use as required.

grannyactivist Tue 31-Aug-21 14:54:27

I have some that I’ve cut up, dipped in lemon juice/water and frozen, they’ll go into crumbles or pies. I also stewed (no sugar) a kilo and froze that and will use it in apple cake or serve as apple sauce.

Callistemon Tue 31-Aug-21 14:51:50

I do the same as SueDonim, trying to exclude as much air as possible before freezing.

If they do go slightly brown it disappears when they're cooked.

SueDonim Tue 31-Aug-21 14:41:56

I just peel, core and slice them into segments then freeze. I use them direct from the freezer in puddings, I don’t bother to defrost first.

Last year I was given so many that I did have to stew them first to reduce the bulk!

Daisend1 Tue 31-Aug-21 14:39:20

Lucky you.I always cook to soften /stick in a knife so it will pierce the fruit without force Cool then freeze.

Riverwalk Tue 31-Aug-21 14:35:23

I was given a load of apples - sliced into rings then dried on a low heat in the oven and stored in tupperwares.