Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes containing rum

(21 Posts)
Baggs Sat 02-Oct-21 15:26:46

The other day I added "small bottle of rum" to the shopping list. MrB took it with him yesterday evening as he would be coming back from his event past the Co-op which is twelve miles away so not really for nipping especially during a fuel shenanigans.

He got a rum drink by mistake because the store was just closing and there were no tills open so he had to self-check out. So that meant the plastic cap thingy that they put on spirit and licqueur bottles was not taken off.

This turned out to be a good thing because what he'd picked up was not what I wanted. Today he took it back with the receipt, got a refund and bought 'simple' rum. Phew. He also did a load more grocery shopping and got some petrol (good cos I need the car to get to work).

But....... embarassed face....... I've forgotten what recipe I wanted the run for!! ?

Grans to the rescue, please! Can you suggest things I might have needed rum for? I think it was a sweet recipe though not rum baba or anything that obvious. Nigella Lawson's name is flapping about in my head too although that might not be relevant as I made one of her recipes recently.

Feeling like a right daft 'aporth ?

AGAA4 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:36:09

Rum Truffles. These are great at Christmas.

MiniMoon Sat 02-Oct-21 15:38:19

Well, I could suggest Cumberland rum nickie cake, but it probably wasn't that!?
You weren't going to make a Christmas pudding by any chance?

Rosepaul Sat 02-Oct-21 15:45:14

What about tiramisu ? Delia's recipe is amazing

Amberone Sat 02-Oct-21 16:45:07

Baked bananas with rum and caramel sauce..mmm ?

Esspee Sat 02-Oct-21 17:41:33

West Indian black cake? The dried fruit is soaked in rum then the finished cake has the rum poured over it.

Grandmabatty Sat 02-Oct-21 18:19:06

I was going to say tiramisu but beaten to it!

ayse Sat 02-Oct-21 18:23:57

Chocolate mousse?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:31:53

Christmas pudding

NotSpaghetti Sat 02-Oct-21 18:39:36

Esspee

West Indian black cake? The dried fruit is soaked in rum then the finished cake has the rum poured over it.

This is what I was thinking.
Yum yum!

LauraNorder Sat 02-Oct-21 18:44:46

Bread and butter pudding using brioche and rum soaked sultanas, yum

LauraNorder Sat 02-Oct-21 18:45:17

Hope you’re intending to share

Baggs Sat 02-Oct-21 19:43:39

Oh my! Grans to the rescue it is! Well... not to the recipe I forgot about (more on that later) but loads of yummy ideas. Thank you all.

I'm intrigued by the Indian Black Cake idea. The Scots have something called Black Bun that is solid, compacted dried fruit wrapped in firm pastry. Some recipes have brandy in them and it is usually eaten with a nip of whisky at Hogmanay.

They say that a problem shared is a problem halved. Well, once I'd posted the OP it somehow occurred to me to open an ancient notebook of mine into which I've jotted recipes over the years. It's chockablock now. And guess what, I'd bookmarked a recipe for Nigella Lawson's carrot and almond cake from years ago which contains some rum.

So my brain was working after all.... kinda ?

Thanks again for the ideas. They should keep me busy. Told MrB about this thread and he's very keen that I experiment with all your ideas.

TillyTrotter Sat 02-Oct-21 19:47:08

Rum stollen. Rum sauce always, with Xmas pud.

Milliedog Fri 08-Oct-21 11:38:39

Simplest dessert recipe with rum or brandy.
Slice bananas lengthwise. Melt knob of butter in large frying pan. Add bananas and fry until golden and soft. Add brown sugar and cook for a couple of minutes. Add a decent dash of rum or brandy. Bubble up for a few minutes. Serve hot with icecream or cream. The alcohol will have evaporated so you can even give it to children....

hazel93 Fri 08-Oct-21 11:45:35

Delias choc. torte - always a winner . Simple but certainly looks far more complicated than it is !

hazel93 Fri 08-Oct-21 11:50:17

AGAA4

Rum Truffles. These are great at Christmas.

Oh yes, make these every year at Christmas - drooling now !
If only I could remember to make more as rarely do I get to eat more than two !

sluttygran Fri 08-Oct-21 11:54:58

Make sure to give the rum a really thorough tasting in the interests of quality control, and repeat to be sure.
Then you can chuck the bootle in tha reshyclething an not bither woth a reshipe!

DiscoGran Fri 08-Oct-21 12:44:46

How about a Dark and Stormy. Dark rum, ginger beer, squeeze of fresh lime, ice. Cheers! ??

Julie639 Sun 17-Oct-21 05:26:34

Plum Cake with dry fruits soaked in rum, is delicious.

grandMattie Sun 17-Oct-21 05:28:41

Mincemeat? Rum instead of brandy sounds lovely.