Gransnet forums

Food

Freezing parsley

(14 Posts)
Witzend Thu 09-Dec-21 08:50:43

I dare say many of you do this already, but it was new to me when a sister told me. I would often end up throwing away the remains of an unused bunch that was going yellow.

Wet it thoroughly, shake off the excess, then wrap tightly in foil and freeze. You can then cut or slice off the frozen lump what’s needed for e.g. a soup or sauce (here it’ll be parsley sauce for gammon tomorrow night.)

muse Thu 09-Dec-21 08:59:56

It freezes really well, doesn’t it.

When I’ve time, I chop it and freeze it in ice cube trays + a little water. The cubes then go into a tub or bag. A couple of those make half pint of parsley sauce.

JackyB Thu 09-Dec-21 09:04:33

We have managed to cultivate the remains of a supermarket pot in the garden, so always have fresh parsley to hand. However, I do still have a couple of packets of frozen chopped herbs in the freezer.

Thawed out parsley, if frozen whole, as you describe, probably wouldn't look very good as a garnish, so it would have to be used chopped anyway.

You can freeze it chopped, loose, or in an ice cube tray with some water, or so I've heard. For salad dressing, it may even be possible to freeze it in oil. I make oodles of pesto every year and freeze that, and the main ingredient there is oil. I think I'll try that before the parsley in our garden gives up the ghost.

Ditto chives and, next year, dill. I had dill out there and used it a couple of times, but it went to seed, so next year I'll try catching it fresh and freezing it before it goes to seed. I wonder if any of the seeds will germinate and produce new plants?

Witzend Thu 09-Dec-21 10:13:20

JackyB, I wouldn’t think of using the frozen stuff as a garnish! Good for soups and sauces though.

I’ve also bought supermarket pots of growing parsley, divided them and planted them in a tub outside. Good in summer, not much use now.

MiniMoon Thu 09-Dec-21 12:41:45

I do the same with coriander leaves.
I also chop and freeze fresh ginger root. It's really handy for curries etc.

JackyB Thu 09-Dec-21 13:18:53

I keep ginger root in the freezer. It grates really well whilst still frozen and those fibres break off better. It then goes straight back in the freezer until the next time.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Dec-21 13:24:26

I always put my old supermarket parsley plant in the garden and they always grow really well. And also looks nice mixed with other plants. I think I read that parsley plants only last a couple of years. The thing we do have problems with is Basil, which we like to use with pasta bakes. We bought one from Tesco’s and it died almost straight away ( which always happens at this time of year). I should have frozen it.

crazyH Thu 09-Dec-21 13:30:01

I freeze coriander leaves - chop it first. I bulk buy when it's reduced .

SueDonim Thu 09-Dec-21 14:04:19

I’ve frozen almost all fresh herbs. I chop them and store them in some pots that were meant for baby food that my dd gave me. They aren’t any good as a garnish but are fine for cooking with. I also grate and freeze Parmesan cheese.

Sadly, I had to chuck out the lot last week after my freezers defrosted, post Storm Arwen. ?

Calistemon Thu 09-Dec-21 14:10:57

muse

It freezes really well, doesn’t it.

When I’ve time, I chop it and freeze it in ice cube trays + a little water. The cubes then go into a tub or bag. A couple of those make half pint of parsley sauce.

Yes, that's what I do.

Calistemon Thu 09-Dec-21 14:13:18

I always put my old supermarket parsley plant in the garden and they always grow really well. And also looks nice mixed with other plants. I think I read that parsley plants only last a couple of years.
Yes, I put it in a large pot but it wasn't very good this year - probably needs replacing as it could be the third year and it went to seed quickly. The seeds didn't sprout well either.

Nannarose Thu 09-Dec-21 16:48:53

I open freeze parsley, then crumble it for cooking / stuffing etc. It goes too limp for a garnish / salad.
I have a 'stock drawer' in my upright freezer. Into it go slightly soft carrots, onion skins, end of leeks, outer celery stalks, parsley stalks etc. When I have a chicken carcass or bones from a roast or similar, into the stock pot they go.

granfromafar Thu 09-Dec-21 16:55:55

All useful tips here. Another thing that I tried freezing and works well is grated parmesan cheese. Never use a whole tub in one go and it goes off quickly in the fridge. When frozen it's easy to sprinkle over risotto or pasta.

Fleur20 Thu 09-Dec-21 22:31:13

If you rinse and shake parsley, separate the leaves from the stems.. doesnt have to be pretty! Freeze the stems to put into soups etc that you are going to whizz! The leaves can be frozen whole and will simply crumble into soups and sauces as required.
No chopping required.