Gransnet forums

Food

Food we think we like but don't.

(118 Posts)
Grandmabatty Mon 02-May-22 18:49:17

Every so often, I get a craving for hotdogs with fried onions and mustard. When I eat them I'm always disappointed. The sausage is never as nice as I expected. Does anyone else have a food that lets them down? Needless to say, this is a bit lighthearted. Chocolate rarely lets me down. ?

goodycs Tue 14-Jun-22 15:03:02

I have never eaten a sweetcorn holograph raw. That may be my next wish

Esmay Wed 01-Jun-22 09:46:51

Most cakes - especially commercial chocolate ones .
They look really yummy until you
bite into them and then just sweet,dry and tasteless !
I prefer cakes from Patisserie Valerie .
They are big entremets !
I enjoy my own less sweet cakes ,but seldom bake these days .
Having written that I enjoy scones with jam and cream !

Kim19 Wed 01-Jun-22 04:53:17

BB, I too like a hot drink in the morning. Chopped up lemon with fresh ginger & honey micro for 2 mins then sieved hits the spot nicely.

CanadianGran Tue 31-May-22 23:17:18

French fries (chips) that look delicious but turn out to be soggy.
I never bother to make them at home because I can't get them as crispy as they should be.

Menopaws Tue 31-May-22 23:13:11

Sausages. Î love them but I’m often disappointed. Years ago we had sausage in a basket with chips, very early pub food but haven’t found them since but they were lovely

Granmarderby10 Tue 31-May-22 23:05:05

I had a cup of coffee in a Greek cafe in Bakewell last summer in one of those big cups. The owner was rushed off his feet because there were no staff for some reason - post lockdown, so no food available apart from baklava so I ordered a slice with the coffee and it was the most gorgeous coffee I have ever drank. Damn expensive though.
I’m strictly tea preferably Yorkshire or M&S Gold usually.
Would love to know why that coffee was so ? good though

MissAdventure Thu 05-May-22 21:49:48

Hot chocolate.
It sounds delicious, but I've rarely had one that actually is.

Lyng17 Thu 05-May-22 19:17:08

Ice creams. The ads make them look delicious e.g Magnum but they are too sweet and too cold.

BlueBalou Thu 05-May-22 18:53:25

I have to admit that I find takeaway fish and chips a big disappointment, greasy and flabby. Home cooked is nicer but I think my palate must have changed because any fried or oven cooked fish tastes unpleasant now.
Our nearest Chinese used to be delicious but now it’s almost tasteless.
I find myself preferring very simply meals, salads and plain cooking- perhaps I will actually lose some weight now!

Vintagejazz Thu 05-May-22 16:55:35

Chinese takeaway. When people say they're having one it always sounds delicious. But in reality I find them a bit bland and artificial.

Chestnut Thu 05-May-22 09:28:08

I think generally all foods can be amazing if they are the real deal. Pizza, cake, coffee, fruit & veg etc. are all delicious if cooked or grown properly, but you rarely get this unless you go to a certain country or place. Even fish 'n chips are gorgeous if you go to an award winning fish 'n chip shop.

Just thought of another one. Chocolate milkshake is pretty average unless you go to America where they are delicious!

Yammy Thu 05-May-22 09:14:40

nannafizz

Occasionally , if DH & I are tired after a busy day we ‘treat’ ourselves to fish and chips . Then spend the rest of the evening feeling bloated & saying why did we do that!

That's when I would be drinking!!!! the Gaviscon nannnafizzz.
The smell makes them such a treat but not the after effects.hmm

Nannee49 Thu 05-May-22 07:49:07

A real Italian pizza hot from the oven, melting, juicy and fragrant with olive oil, san marzano tomatoes, genuine mozzarella & basil, is a thing of beauty, the complete antithesis of yukky bits of dry yet flabby dough smeared with red gloop and dubious cheese offered as pizza which give this wondrous dish such a bad rep.angry

snowberryZ Thu 05-May-22 07:11:59

Someone mentioned herbal tea.
They smell wonderful but usually taste disgusting and lacking. In something.

snowberryZ Thu 05-May-22 07:05:19

Sago

Kate1949 Tomatoes taste wonderful as long as they have never been refrigerated.

I agree.
A warm tomatoe is delicious.

Also I find those pale anemic (usually cheaper) tomatoes are fairly tasteless.
But the little, still on the vine bright red tomatoes's are lovely.
Very often when I'm cooking, about 10 mins before everything's ready to come out of the oven I'll cut some in half, and put them on a casserole lid with a little drop of olive oil and some pepper. It's just enough time to warm them up and bring the flavours out.

I want tomatoes now?

Chestnut Wed 04-May-22 23:40:25

nannafizz

Occasionally , if DH & I are tired after a busy day we ‘treat’ ourselves to fish and chips . Then spend the rest of the evening feeling bloated & saying why did we do that!

I agree that fish 'n chips always sounds so tempting. Maybe it reminds us of our youth when we could eat such things. But now I find it bloating and heavy. I need plenty of vegetables with my meal, can't eat a meal without them.

MissAdventure Wed 04-May-22 22:53:01

grin

nannafizz Wed 04-May-22 22:49:50

Jenh66 Wed 04-May-22 21:00:37

I used to always tell myself I liked Eton Mess. I'd order it in restaurants and then be really disappointed. The reason? My first experience of Eton Mess was a version from WW. It was made with non fat/low fat natural yoghurt, fresh berries and a light fluffy in the middle meringue. I think the yoghurt made the mess lighter and less sweet.

Quaver22 Wed 04-May-22 20:49:29

My dear Dad described his first taste of watermelon as one of his great disappointments in life!

Callistemon21 Wed 04-May-22 20:34:44

Some of my family like fruit teas and green tea and they always sound so appealing.

But I don't like them, I really don't.

TillyTrotter Wed 04-May-22 20:34:31

I like green olives but why do the black ones taste nasty?
They make me want a drink as they are often salty - is that
why they are brought to the table in some restaurants?

MissAdventure Wed 04-May-22 20:23:58

Fancy coffees never live up to my expectations..
5 inches of froth on the top, followed by tepid milk, then a bitter, too sweet sludge at the bottom, at £4 a go.
I prefer my instant Nescafe.

hollysteers Wed 04-May-22 20:19:31

Love/hate relationship with olives. My head keeps saying I don’t like them, but when I start, I keep on and on. Good for me anyway.
I agree re pizza, awful, but not ‘real’ thin crust homemade pizza in Italy or somewhere Italian here.
My mother preferred fresh crusty bread and butter to any type of cake.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-May-22 20:14:28

I also struggle with pizza, the best pizzas I have had (including Italy) have been at a Eurocamp site just outside Port Grimaud and Champagny in the French Alps (excuse spellings) no others have come close.