Gransnet forums

Food

Eating plans for a £1 a day

(231 Posts)
growstuff Thu 12-May-22 11:18:51

Do GNers have any suggestions for eating for a £1 a day?

Total food should be about 1,500-2,000 calories a day and well-balanced, ie good balance of carbohydrate, fat and protein.

Ideally, there should be little cooking (to save on fuel) and few cooking utensils (certainly nothing fancy) should be needed.

MissAdventure Mon 16-May-22 18:38:18

That's awful.
No point giving them cooking lessons, or pointing out where the special offers are.
Pitiful state of affairs.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 17:07:14

Sad article in my local paper today about one of our nearby foodbanks. They have to give out 'no cook' parcels because people can't afford to switch the oven on. Widow of 65 on UC after her latest redundancy, £50 a month to live on after paying rent and other bills, no savings at all after a lifetime's work in factories. Man in 60s who hadn't eaten for four days. Not untypical I'm sure, in a town where relative wealth and poverty co-exist. An area that many aspire to retire to.

Jang Mon 16-May-22 16:45:49

Look up Jack Monroe..she's at cookingonabootstrap.com and on twitter. Fabulous lady trying to help everyone on a small small budget ...

vegansrock Sat 14-May-22 05:29:09

Baggs Vitamin B12 is produced by bacteria, not animals or plants. Animals, including humans, must obtain it directly or indirectly from bacteria. Farmed animals receive B12 by eating fortified (supplemented) feed, being exposed to bacteria-laden manure and drinking untreated (contaminated) water. - so many farmed animals are given supplements Vegan Sources of Vitamin B12:
Nutritional Yeast.
Marmite + Yeast Spreads.
Fortified milks such as Soy, Almond, oat, coconut
Fortified Cereals.
Tempeh.
Chlorella.
Nori
I can easily get enough Vitamin B12 at breakfast by having porridge made with almond or soy milk, with a non dairy yoghurt and/ or marmite on toast, or at lunch with yeast flakes mixed into a pasta sauce which give a Parmesan cheese flavour. I have had blood tests recently and my B12 has always come back as fine. I would take a supplement if I needed to. So please don’t believe the myths that you have to eat animals to get enough B12.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 23:21:32

I've used deliveroo, too, when I sometimes need milk, bread, and just a few little bits.
That does work out expensive, though.
I can't get to the shop now.
Unless i buy a walking thing with wheels and a seat, I think.
Talk about depressing!

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:21:18

I grow my own salad stuff (and more) too.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 23:21:10

I don't traipse around them, well not usually unless I'm in the mood or want to go to Lidl.
We usually have a delivery.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:20:48

Mt friend doesn't charge me for fruit and veg, so it's a real bonus for me, even if I do end up with litres of beetroot soup or something a bit niche.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:19:25

I really can't be bothered traipsing round different supermarkets. I do sometimes go into Aldi, but it really bugs me that the queues are always so long and my branch doesn't have a self-service, when I only ever have a couple of items.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 23:18:05

I used to have an oddbox delivery, but, nice as it was, it wasn't that economical for me.
I'd like the option of doing a £20 spend, really.
Not all iceland stuff, and not all Asda, which is my other delivery shop.
I have used morrisons on amazon a couple of times.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 23:17:20

I don't always use the same supermarket.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:13:49

MissAdventure

sad
Ooh...
£40 is too much for me to spend in one go, really.

Iceland is 25 or 30 I think, but it somehow always seems to round up to about 40 pounds, too.

It's about right for two weeks' food for me. I have to plan very carefully to make sure that stuff won't go off. I'm lucky because a friend brings me a fruit and veg box once a week, although the contents can sometimes be a bit random.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 23:11:21

I really wish I could force my neighbour to go halves with me.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:10:58

Callistemon21

Baggs

Shandy57

Vegans do not need to take additional vitamins, everything is available in certain foods, just have to maintain a balanced diet.

Please tell me what are the non-animal natural sources of vitamin B12.

Fortified breakfast cereals
Marmite

Fine if you eat breakfast cereals and don't hate Marmite.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 23:10:03

sad
Ooh...
£40 is too much for me to spend in one go, really.

Iceland is 25 or 30 I think, but it somehow always seems to round up to about 40 pounds, too.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:09:46

You'd probably be better looking for the cheap delivery slots, but they go very quickly at bank holidays and Christmas.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:08:46

MissAdventure

I have thought about buying a pass.
Does that mean I wouldn't need to spend £40 for delivery?

No, you would still need to spend £40 per delivery, but I find it's worth it - just! It saves me money in fuel and means I can plan exactly how much I spend.

growstuff Fri 13-May-22 23:07:10

Tesco charges £47.94 for 6 months or £7.99 a month, but you have to spend £40 for each delivery. I have 2 deliveries a month. It wouldn't be viable for somebody living on £7 a week for food.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 23:06:44

I have thought about buying a pass.
Does that mean I wouldn't need to spend £40 for delivery?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 13-May-22 22:57:36

I use the Delivery Saver scheme with Tesco for free delivery Tuesday to Thursday. I don’t remember what it costs per month but around £3.50ish and a lot of people pay for it with Clubcard points. I have a weekly delivery so it’s a considerable saving.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 22:56:41

Baggs

Shandy57

Vegans do not need to take additional vitamins, everything is available in certain foods, just have to maintain a balanced diet.

Fortified breakfast cereals
Marmite

Callistemon21 Fri 13-May-22 22:53:29

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t know about Morrisons but Tesco charge £4 if you spend less than £40.

Tesco have varying delivery charges depending on what type of delivery you choose.
A one hour slot can be as much as £7 I think, depending on time of day, regardless of how much you spend.

They charge for priority slots now, too.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 13-May-22 22:47:27

I don’t know about Morrisons but Tesco charge £4 if you spend less than £40.

Shandy57 Fri 13-May-22 20:17:44

When I asked my friend about it, she said she gets her B12 from regular imbibing of fortified plant milks. Her favourite is oat milk.

Baggs Fri 13-May-22 20:07:45

Shandy57