Gransnet forums

Food

Platinum pudding - is this a joke?

(149 Posts)
Kate54 Mon 16-May-22 19:32:13

I thought I might have a go at making the winning recipe in this competition come the time. The brief included ‘must be easy to make at home’.
Are they mad? Who in their right mind would make from scratch the Swiss roll, the lemon curd, the custard and the amaretti biscuits?
The mandarin orange coulis (from a tin) is doable but the rest?
I’m waiting for the trifle sponge version.

AreWeThereYet Wed 18-May-22 18:59:39

Oh well done Mrsgranny - that looks great. Anyone else had a go yet? I doubt I will bother unless Mr A takes a fancy to it, and he hasn't mentioned it yet. He's more interested in bread and butter pudding at the moment ? Maybe our house is more copper than platinum ?

Beanutz2115 Wed 18-May-22 18:48:19

It’s all too sweet and sickly for me.I would love a nice piece of blue cheese and a savoury biscuit.

Aveline Wed 18-May-22 18:33:54

MrsGranny that looks lovely. Well done.

crazyH Wed 18-May-22 17:58:32

Well done Mrsgranny ?

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 17:54:37

Presumably monarchist doctors, nurses, police, hospitality, retail and other staff who have to work can walk out then?
Silly post.

Ever heard of swapping rotas so everyone is happy?

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 17:53:37

vegansrock

callistemon - why should republicans have to work the bank holiday? Presumably monarchist doctors, nurses, police, hospitality, retail and other staff who have to work can walk out then?

Someone has to vegansrock

I've worked Bank Holidays many times before I retired - then had time off in lieu.

Anyway, it wasn't my post.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 17:50:47

Looks great, MrsGranny

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 17:49:58

leeds22

I’ll settle for a lemon curd Swiss roll, be looking out for one in M&S tomorrow.

It's got buttercream in it - doesn't work in a trifle!

You get blobs of buttercream floating around in the jelly, it just doesn't look good.

leeds22 Wed 18-May-22 17:44:40

I’ll settle for a lemon curd Swiss roll, be looking out for one in M&S tomorrow.

Mrsgranny Wed 18-May-22 17:41:51

I decided last Friday that I would have a go and whilst there were tips if you didn’t want to make everything from scratch I thought for the first attempt this would be a good option. So…
- bought lemon Swiss roll from Tesco
- couldn’t find lemon jelly so bought lemon and lime
- bought ready made custard
- couldn’t find ameretti biscuits so I made them, not difficult
- made the mandarin coulie
- fresh cream easy enough to obtain anywhere
- made the chocolate bark
Downside was the amount of washing up generated!
Upside, easy enough to assemble, looked spectacular and the family loved it and so did I and I don’t usually eat trifle.
Will definitely make again and may make from scratch just for comparison. However, next time I’ll make in individual dishes so everyone gets a nice looking portion as it can look a real mess after the first couple of portions are dished up.

Sloegin Wed 18-May-22 17:22:52

I don't like the sound of it at all and would much prefer good old fashioned sherry trifle made the way my mother always made it- bought trifle sponges sliced in two and sandwiched together with home made raspberry jam. Lots of sherry, home made egg custard ,topped with whipped cream and toasted flaked almonds. Fruit can be seved with it, never in it and absolutely never,ever jelly.

GrammyGrammy Wed 18-May-22 17:05:52

I'm vegetarian and Celiac so cannot eat gluten. I had an idea to enter but didn't get around to it. I still prefer my platinum pudding idea to the winner ... A 1 cm small circle of ginger and lemon crumble topped with 1cm circle of vanilla creme pat topped with drained rhubarb topped with vegan cream topped with sliced strawberries. I give you my
platinum Pudding! Enjoy!

Jackalene Wed 18-May-22 16:20:46

Lido, what a Pavlova.... now your talking!

Jackalene Wed 18-May-22 16:15:10

Pavlova...now your talking ?

Aveline Wed 18-May-22 16:04:57

Just Amaretto biscuits. SiL suggested a slug of Lemoncello over the Swiss rolls. Interesting thought...

Secretsquirrel1 Wed 18-May-22 15:56:33

If defo be buying everything ready made and just constructing it and taking the praise.
I don’t know if the recipe states actual amaretto in it as well as the biscuits, but I’d Chuck a good swig or two of that in lol

Amry64 Wed 18-May-22 15:26:29

Fancy a pudding causing so much discussion! I liked this one as it looked like a crown! I used to make trifle when my children were little. A cheap and cheerful way to encourage them to eat more fruit. I'm not a royalist so not celebrating, although I admire the lady working until her 90's. So I'm going to make this to remember old times, with a swiss roll, Rowntrees lemon jelly, tinned mandarin oranges and Ambrosia tinned custard. Possibly cream and wafer biscuits to decorate. Lovely!

Yammy Wed 18-May-22 15:25:53

annodomini

*Yammy*, your chocolate pavlova sounds unbearably tempting. Could you possibly share your recipe?

Hi, annodomini,
Just Goole choclate Cherry pavlova. It's out of BBC magazine just found it again. I used a tin of cherries and the tins syrup to make the coulis which I served in a jug.

abby0950 Wed 18-May-22 14:59:03

Who has the time or patience to make this - just visit Waitrose or Marks and Spencer for their ready made version!

coastalgran Wed 18-May-22 14:54:35

Why not wait till M&S or another supermarket has it on the shelf in time for celebrations saves all the faff.

vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 14:42:54

libman So won’t the republicans get the day off in lieu ? Do they have to pass some sort of test to get the day off? ( you know that’s a daft idea?) teachers don’t get the day off as it’s half term - no extra day for them or the kids

tictacnana Wed 18-May-22 14:38:48

Years ago, my eldest daughter gave me a recipe to follow for our evening meal. It contained all sorts of exotic ingredients and lots of it needed marinating in different gloops. The last straw came when the instructions stated that all the marinates needed to be WASHED OFF before throwing it all into a wok and frying it! The result was ‘orrible . Who writes these bloody things ?

semperfidelis Wed 18-May-22 14:22:53

What an old fashioned and unoriginal dessert to choose out of so many entrants. Apart from the tart, the short list looked like calorie laden mush. Mary Berry couldn't be described as a contemorary cook. Would Prue Leith or Paul Holliwood have made a difference?

Brismum Wed 18-May-22 14:13:30

For those who say jelly is not vegetarian, Holland and Barrett sell a very acceptable vegetarian jelly which I have used successfully in trifle!

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 14:11:11

I do like lemony puds