Gransnet forums

Food

Food phobias

(75 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 22-May-22 15:32:02

Ok, not phobias, but weird dislikes.

One of mine is not liking pasta. I like spaghetti, but don't like any other shape of pasta. Something to do with the shape or texture in my mouth.

Daft I know.

Tricia1951 Sun 04-Sep-22 21:38:44

I eat almost anything but can’t bear fresh coriander. It completely ruins dishes it’s added to for me. My daughter is exactly the same and I’m sure I remember reading somewhere that it can be genetic.

Grammy666 Sat 16-Jul-22 07:44:20

Hi ... Well I think people have got more picky and fussy ... but .. my Mum used to say about us being fussy ... " Well if you're hungry you will eat it ".... She grew up in Ireland and heard many sad stories if the Famine ....and lets not bring up annoying kids who say " Egy I don't like the cheese you put in my sandwich " .. it was normal chedder ! DOH ..

Mollygo Fri 15-Jul-22 10:18:50

Andouillette or gristle sausages as my children called them. I love the idea of not wasting any part of an animal, but andouillettes were one step too far.

Shandy57 Thu 14-Jul-22 17:45:33

Oxtail soup. As a child I was convinced I'd find a piece of tail in it. My mother made me sit at the table until I'd eaten it - sixty odd years later I realise she didn't have anything else to offer.

LadyStardust Thu 14-Jul-22 17:43:18

sodapop I just googled andouillette. Hmm I'm not sure about this. grin The next time I'm over your way I'll give it a try! I used to like chitterlings. They were something to do with intestines I think? I spent a lot of my childhood with my Grandma and you ate what you were given or you went hungry!

TwiceAsNice Thu 14-Jul-22 17:43:12

I’m a porridge hater too it looks like wallpaper paste!
Other dislikes are
Any savoury white sauce or any hot sauce with fish
Hallumi or Tofu
Spinach
Soft boiled eggs- love eggs but they must be hard
Curry
Yogurt- the smell makes me heave

I love beetroot though

H1954 Thu 14-Jul-22 17:30:21

I'm the opposite...........not at all keen on spaghetti but like other shapes pasta but it HAS to be hot! Cannot abide cold pasta.

Mussels, cockles, winkles, oysters.........anything that comes out of a shell has me gagging ???

sodapop Thu 14-Jul-22 17:21:21

Come over here and try andouillette LadyStardust it's a tripe sausage and it's disgusting. Unfortunately it's also a local delicacy served with aperos, slices have found their way into my handbag at times - yuk.

LadyStardust Thu 14-Jul-22 16:30:23

I'm sitting here thinking hard and I can't think of one food I really dislike! Of course I have things I like more than others, but basically I'll eat anything put in front of me. Maybe I'm just a pig! grin

Philippa111 Thu 14-Jul-22 16:25:56

I once had really awful food poisoning from prawns. I used to be able to eat and enjoy snails and mussels as well but since the poisoning I can't look at any of them. I also don't eat any farmed salmon. I once lived near where it's farmed and none of the people who worked on the farms would eat it...enough said!

Kittye Thu 14-Jul-22 16:08:03

Any shellfish, kidneys, ox liver and broad beans spring to mind. I’m sure there’s others if I think about it

PinkCosmos Thu 14-Jul-22 15:57:38

JackyB

I've just though of another one : halloumi

How can anyone bear the way it squeaks on your teeth?

Macadamia nuts do this as well

Mollygo Thu 14-Jul-22 14:39:05

aggie

Decent mince or sausages shouldn’t have bone or gristle in !

So true Aggie! Octopus or squid, artificial meat, tofu, tripe-(though I ate it as a child), some of the weird mushrooms that are available, that lie like yellowing entrails on your plate. Strangely, I now like mussels, which used to make me heave.

JackyB Thu 14-Jul-22 14:37:07

Elegran

A lot of these are not phobias at all. They are allergies and digestive incompatibilities.

I haven't seen anyone saying that they have to avoid these foods because it causes an allergic reaction, just disgust.

However, disgust is a natural primal reaction to something that is not edible, so maybe there is something in it. I'm not going to try and eat beetroot, which disgusts me, to see if I am allergic to it, though, thank you!

JackyB Thu 14-Jul-22 14:32:37

I've just though of another one : halloumi

How can anyone bear the way it squeaks on your teeth?

varian Thu 14-Jul-22 14:29:02

The smell of coffee makes me nauseous. I never go in to coffee shops and have to rush past them quickly as the dreadful smell seeps out into the street. Passive coffee stench is like passive smoking. It should be restricted to consenting adults in private.

Daddima Thu 14-Jul-22 14:28:33

I have never tasted beetroot or pickled onions because of what I imagine the texture would feel like in my mouth.
Recently, I have stopped eating dairy products ( when I can ) aftr seeing a video of a dairy cow running after the lorry taking its calf to market! I still can’t give up the roast lamb,though.

My friend’s daughter always had to have a fried egg in her fried breakfast, though she never ate it.

Dee1012 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:23:34

Tripe.....just no!

nexus63 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:19:36

i can eat a mars, twix etc but not a bar of chocolate or chocolate cake, brownies, biscuits etc, the smell of coffee makes me feel sick, passing a coffee shop i hold my nose, i gag at anything with a white or cheese sauce, but i love chedder cheese, i am not a big meat eater, chicken or liver sometimes. my favourite meal is a big bowl of porrige with salt, i gag at anything sweet on it.

hulahoop Thu 14-Jul-22 14:15:48

I don't like pasta I have tried different shapes .I can't stand mayo and it drives me ma d when most sandwiches have it on .sea food is also a no no .

aggie Thu 14-Jul-22 14:04:32

I can eat the beetroot in a jar , but not any other version , it tastes of mud !

Tizliz Thu 14-Jul-22 14:00:55

Coconut. Phobia and intolerance. My mother and sister the same, and now granddaughter. Hate gorse as it smells strongly of coconut.

Love beetroot, eat it straight out the jar ?

Elizabeth27 Thu 14-Jul-22 13:41:11

I have a dislike of bars of chocolate, I suppose it is weird as I like chocolate cake, puddings, tarts, filled bars and boxed chocolates.

Strangely, I could eat a Cadbury Easter egg but not a bar of Cadbury dairy milk.

Mine Thu 14-Jul-22 13:13:54

Totally dislike soft egg yolks and in the past few weeks Iv went off mushrooms....Prawns another dislike...Apart from that enjoy my food especially porridge and bananas.....

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-22 10:21:17

A lot of these are not phobias at all. They are allergies and digestive incompatibilities.