Gransnet forums

Food

Lidl veg boxes

(20 Posts)
Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 22:46:37

Floradora9

The ones in our local Lidl are just so poor and not worth having .

The ones I've seen or that DIL has shared seem mostly very good.
It must depend on area

Floradora9 Tue 24-May-22 21:31:32

The ones in our local Lidl are just so poor and not worth having .

welbeck Tue 24-May-22 21:26:29

Blondiescot

I've never seen these in any of the Lidl stores in our local area...

ditto

Blondiescot Tue 24-May-22 19:20:29

I've never seen these in any of the Lidl stores in our local area...

Kathy72 Tue 24-May-22 19:09:40

Thanks, Namsnanny, we have lots of veg from the allotment, so must remember to do that

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 19:05:56

Greenfinch

I hadn’t realised about the date Namsnanny. Thank you. In fact it is only because of GN that I have started looking for them. Is it normal for them to be put beyond the till ? In our Lidl you only see them on the way out after you have done and paid for your shopping. Strange!

Same here, Greenfinch so by that time someone else is putting their items through!

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 19:01:43

Yes it is odd to put the reduced boxes the wrong side of the till Greenfinch

Jane43 the cake took twice as long as the recipe said to cook! But then again my cakes usually do confused

Jane43 Tue 24-May-22 18:12:37

Very impressive Namsnanny. I really must take a trip to Lidl, it means a drive in the opposite direction than our normal shops but it sounds worth it. The cake sounds wonderful.

Greenfinch Tue 24-May-22 17:59:27

I hadn’t realised about the date Namsnanny. Thank you. In fact it is only because of GN that I have started looking for them. Is it normal for them to be put beyond the till ? In our Lidl you only see them on the way out after you have done and paid for your shopping. Strange!

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 17:52:13

X posts Callistemon ?

Kathy72 I add a few sprigs of Rosemary, as I just pruned the bush in the garden, and sprinkled some pine nuts over for the last 10 mins or so.
I have added whole cloves of garlic or other veg of a similar thickness before.
I divided into two batches, then mashed one and froze. The other will be eaten cold with any dressing we fancy.

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 17:43:43

The items are on their best before date, as you're sure to have realized Greenfinch (beautiful little birds), so probably good for freezer stocking.

Callistemon21 Tue 24-May-22 17:41:43

They're very good value if you know you can use the fruit and veg. up fairly quickly.

Well done, Namsnanny

Kathy72 Tue 24-May-22 17:39:59

Roasted sweet potato salad sounds good - peel and chop the sweet potato / bit of oil in a roasting pan (or air fryer) ? Then mixed with?

Greenfinch Tue 24-May-22 17:37:32

I often look at these but have never bought one. Last time there were three boxes but each had a huge head of broccoli in it which I am unable to eat. Usually they have very over ripe bananas which would be perfect for banana cake/bread. One had a whole string of mandarins which in itself equalled what I had just paid in Tesco for the same number. Maybe tomorrow…

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 17:33:52

Well, I would say I stick to tried and tested recipes nowadays
and prepare dry ingredients and dishes one day, then mix and cook the next.
I find I cant finish the whole thing in one go any more, the legs wont take it!

Yes Esspee I havent exactly got off my backside much of late.
So it feels like a little hill has been climbed smile

Smileless2012 Tue 24-May-22 17:27:52

I'm good thanks for asking Namsnanny if just a little envious of your impressive use of the veg box and culinary skills envy.

Esspee Tue 24-May-22 17:18:59

Full marks Namsnanny you are clearly very proud of your achievement and rightly so. I wish I was your neighbour.

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 17:14:41

Thanks Smileless (How are you keeping, we havent spoken for a while?)

Yes it's turned out to be just what I needed, to lose myself in something and frighten away the gremlins grin

Smileless2012 Tue 24-May-22 17:09:42

That's very impressive Namsnanny you certainly earned that slice of cake so I hope you enjoyed it smile.

Namsnanny Tue 24-May-22 17:06:56

Bought one a couple of days ago for £1.50!
It had 3 bags of limes, 2 bags of radishes 4 sweet potatoes.

So for the few days I've occupied my self with making 2 bottles of Lime and coconut cordial.
One large lime and coconut drizzle cake.
Roasted radish and garlic salad.
Roasted sweet potato salad.

Just dividing it all up and putting it in the freezer for later, probably have some on the Jubilee weekend.

Feel good about using it all up without wasting any of it.
Well, if truth be known a stray aubergine has gone a bit soft and may well end up in the compost grin

Oh and I've treated myself to a slice of the cake (which was quite big), and a coffee in the sunshine.

House smells divine.