Gransnet forums

Food

Just discovered how tasty Samphire is!

(24 Posts)
grannydarkhair Fri 10-Jun-22 07:44:42

I’m embarrassed to admit that I bought and tasted Samphire for the first time recently. Can’t believe what I’ve been missing all these years. I rinsed it, and cooked it in a wee bit of butter for a couple of minutes, had it with smoked trout. I’ll definitely be having more of it while it’s in season.

Greyduster Fri 10-Jun-22 08:08:44

I love it, cooked or raw. It grows wild on the Norfolk coast and I would pick bits to nibble when we were out walking. One day a lady walking the other way asked me what I was eating. I told her and said if she wanted some to cook she could buy a bag for about a pound in the next village. She was shocked. She said just a few ounces in Borough Market in London cost a fortune! I expect it might in North Norfolk now it’s gone gentrified.

Calendargirl Fri 10-Jun-22 08:12:14

We used to go and pick it when I was a child. Washed it in a tin bath outside, then Mum boiled it and pickled it in malt vinegar!

Hardly the delicacy it is nowadays. Just a rather slimy green mush tasting strongly of vinegar. Had it with cold meat. Should think it was boiled to death as well.

kittylester Fri 10-Jun-22 08:17:50

I love samphire. We had some last night with white fish cooked in a recipe given me by GD.

DillytheGardener Fri 10-Jun-22 08:24:22

I also love samphire but have only eaten it ‘out’. I will with my basic kitchen skills have to give it a go.

fairfraise Fri 10-Jun-22 08:26:20

We've picked it a few times when out at local beach. I like it, but as said above it doesn't need much cooking!

PaperMonster Fri 10-Jun-22 08:53:11

Love it. My daughter loved it when she was a toddler. Not had any for ages, must try her with it again!

Aveline Fri 10-Jun-22 09:09:28

I've had it in a restaurant. I liked it the first time but the second time it was horribly oversalted. Chefs error. I'd certainly have it again.

Newquay Fri 10-Jun-22 09:15:45

I think that samphire is high in iodine and folk with thyroid problems should avoid it.
No doubt there will be someone here who knows?

Urmstongran Fri 10-Jun-22 09:21:59

Well I’m embarrassed not to know anything about this plant either! I was curious to see what it looks like - here’s a photo. £2 apparently for a pack of it. I might try it if it’s on a restaurant menu. But probably not ...
?

Gongoozler Fri 10-Jun-22 09:54:48

We love it in a stir fry, just added at the last minute. Delicious!

kittylester Fri 10-Jun-22 10:00:51

I stir fried it last night in a little olive oil.

MiniMoon Fri 10-Jun-22 10:10:10

I love samphire (seafennel). When I have it with fish I wipe out the fishy frying pan, add more butter and fry for a couple of minutes.
I sometimes receive a pack in my fishbox.

JaneJudge Fri 10-Jun-22 10:14:01

Yes, it is lovely

grannydarkhair Fri 10-Jun-22 10:15:09

DillytheGardener Trust me, if I can cook it, anyone can ? you can steam it or blanch it in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Or do what I did and cook it with a wee bit of unsalted butter, again I only gave it a couple of minutes, kept moving it around in the pan so it cooked evenly. And obviously don’t add any salt.
Urmstongran I got mine in M&S, it was actually reduced and as I’d never had it before thought it would be no great loss if I didn’t like it. But I’ll be happy to pay the full price for it in future as I enjoyed it so much. The pack said serves two, I live alone, ate the lot and would happily have eaten more had there been any.

annsixty Fri 10-Jun-22 10:44:14

Delicious with grilled salmon but like others have only had it in restaurants.
Am inspired to see if Sainsbury’s have it for my order next week.

kittylester Fri 10-Jun-22 10:51:51

I got mine in my Sainsbury's order yesterday ann.

The wok I use for it is tiny one that I got from aldi (in the aisle of doom) for £3.99.

Visgir1 Fri 10-Jun-22 11:29:42

Wanted to love it.. Perhaps it was the way it was cooked?

Aveline Fri 10-Jun-22 11:57:36

'The aisle of doom' grin

Pantglas2 Fri 10-Jun-22 12:00:31

I’ve served it steamed with roast lamb - the saltiness enhances the succulence of the lamb ?

annsixty Fri 10-Jun-22 12:06:05

Oh Pantglas
That reminds me of the delicious lamb we used to buy when we went to Abersoch for about 10 years- mid 70’s to mid 80’s.
We were told they were kept and fed on the salt marshes.
Would samphire have grown there?
Such happy memories that has brought back

Greyduster Fri 10-Jun-22 19:35:15

It is a plant of salt marshes, Ann. Your lamb must have been amazing.

Rosie51 Fri 10-Jun-22 19:45:19

Romney salt marsh lamb served with samphire........ heaven on a plate grin

I love it quickly fried in a little unsalted butter. Gongoozler I've never thought of adding it to a stir fry, will definitely try that next time!

MerylStreep Fri 10-Jun-22 19:52:00

We get ours from a salt marsh in Essex.
I love lamb but not a lover of sheep fed on salt marsh.