Gransnet forums

Food

‘Mini’ cucumber grown much too big. Don’t want to bin it!

(11 Posts)
singingnutty Sat 02-Jul-22 11:20:11

I have several cucumber plants in the greenhouse and, as usual, I have crammed in too many so it’s quite hard to spot the cucumbers if they are hidden at the back. They are mini ones but every year I get several that I missed that grow to about 4 times the normal size. Has anyone any ideas for recipes to use them? I have one at the moment which is shaming me!

Philippa111 Sat 02-Jul-22 11:34:51

Just eat as a normal cucumber, skin removed.
Or pickle them! It's what many countries do. Vinegar, water, salt, sugar and some dill and leave for a couple of hours..having removed the seeds
(Sliced cucumbers for storing don't pickle well... they go mushy)
It will keep in the fridge for some days. In France they slice it very thinly and then salt it to remove most of the juice. They squeeze it after salting. It goes limp and they then put a Dijon mustard vinaigrette on it. It's delicious but not crisp and crunchy

Redhead56 Sat 02-Jul-22 11:42:17

What’s wrong with eating them they are delicious no what the size. I have the same problem with courgettes they end up huge I stuff them and bake them.

H1954 Sat 02-Jul-22 11:45:14

Peel them and put them in a smoothie along with some soft fruits or use them to make a soothing face mask.

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jul-22 11:47:02

Peel in long strands and add to a jug of water. Very refreshing.

25Avalon Sat 02-Jul-22 11:55:25

Have you tried tarator soup? It is a recipe I got from Waitrose and very simple as well as delicious. You just put all the ingredients in the food processor and whizz. It is cucumber, walnuts, garlic, Yoghourt and some breadcrumbs. Serve cold.

25Avalon Sat 02-Jul-22 11:56:01

Garnish with dill.

Baggs Sat 02-Jul-22 11:58:34

Make a stew (meaty or veggie), chop it up and bung it in.

Or soup.

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jul-22 12:04:02

Just eat them, or give them away like ido.

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Jul-22 12:27:56

I've posted this link previously and this recipe is good.
If the cucumbers are large, I de-seed them
www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/cucumber-pickle

When I made cucumber soup, it was disgusting but it wasn't the same recipe as 25Avalon's whic sounds much nicer.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Jul-22 12:40:06

I make soup, a Delia recipe. It’s very good, not thick, pours well from a flask when DH is out in wintertime.

I gave a bowlful to my plumber when he was doing a job, he had told me once before that he didn’t like cucumbers, but he enjoyed it and said he would never have thought the main ingredient was cucumber.

???????